Sign in to follow this  
3bob

"May all beings be happy" ?

When I once wrote: "Peace and happyness to all beings" on a tile that was used then for the restoration of the roof of a Japanese Buddhist temple, I didn't feel I had to overthink this. After all, it's not my responsibility that lions eat antilopes etc. I can wish them all best and assume that my wish will have some positive effects overall. I need not worry about any details which are not within my control anyway.

• Like 1

I manage the forested semi-wilderness land on which I live as a wildlife refuge. By this I don't mean I look after the animals; for me it's all about letting wilderness be wilderness. It's about getting out of the way and letting the natural processes of life unfold 'self-so'. All around me there is a harmony of a never ending process of life and death; of growth and destruction. Animals in the wild are so full of exuberance, there's a natural zest for living. 

I do it not run this  wildlife refuge out of any sense of altruism but because that's how I like to live. I'm under no illusions that I can only live like this because I have a relatively privileged position within society. My lifestyle is protected and sustained by the killing others do. And even so I sometimes need to make choices about who is to live and who is to die such as when packs of feral dogs invade.

I'm a vegetarian but that simply means plants die in order for me to live. I don't try to opt out of the realities of embodied life, rather I try to embrace it. I do the best I can and feel satisfied with that.  I don't wish wilderness - or life in general - to be anything other than the ever evolving processes that it is.    

Edited by Yueya
  • Like 2

I get the feeling that 'May all being be happy' is more about 'us', then 'all beings'.  It's not a magic spell across the universe.  Its a reminder to Us to.. um.. not be such assholes.. ie after saying it a few hundred times, the hope is we work on the skillful means to add to the happiness around us. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

These Buddhist teachings on suffering and compassion are definitely of value, but for me they only provide a partial picture; a wise reference, an ideal. They work in conjunction with opposing tendencies, and can become counterproductive if treated as absolute truths. 

I first began my questioning decades ago whilst living with practicing Buddhist monastics. As much as it's possible to tell, such ideal states of compassion were not achieved even after a lifetime of practice. Sure, intellectually they were embraced and the principles applied in life, but it was a form of control by the intellect, rather than from the depths of their being. For some, their counter desires lay like dry kindling that only needed to smallest spark to ignite. It easy to practice metta from a secure position, not so easy when truly threatened or desperately hungry.

Edited by Yueya

Earlier today I wrote the following...

May all beings use their analytic intelligence in a balanced way, allowing room for the sometimes paradoxical and not-always-strictly-logical wisdom of the heart.

I won´t erase it now but there´s something I don´t like about the post. A certain look-at-me cleverness that seems ironic and out-of-place in a thread on metta. How much better it would be to have the purity of heart exhibited by that little boy in the video CT posted. That´s what I aspire to.

Much of the conversation here at Taobums boils down to intellectual argument, and certainly our local Buddhists are not immune from this tendency. Nothing wrong, I suppose, with philosophical debate and verbal sparing. It keeps the mind sharp. It´s how some people have fun.

But there are limitations to this kind of mental warfare: the egoic investment in being "right," an overinvestment in the logical abilities of our intellects and an underinvestment in the feeling capacity of our hearts. When we derive our sense of self-worth from besting others in argument -- and not all intellectuals do -- well, that´s something to be aware of.

At it´s best, I think the practice of metta (and the other brahma-viharas) can be a corrective to this mindset. Not everyone who practices metta will become a master of compassion, anymore than all tai chi players become masters of that art. But it´s a step in the right direction.

Liminal

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 5

These Buddhist teachings on suffering and compassion are definitely of value, but for me they only provide a partial picture; a wise reference, an ideal. They work in conjunction with opposing tendencies, and can become counterproductive if treated as absolute truths. 
For sure compassion and suffering are relative things. Demello speaks wisely to this when he talks about his struggle with his role as a spiritual guide vs psychologist. As psychologist, his role is to ease pain. As a spiritual guide, it is to facilitate transformation and growth which means allowing the pain to persist and deepen. Sometimes this leads to opposing choices. Which is more compassionate?

I first began my questioning decades ago whilst living with practicing Buddhist monastics. As much as it's possible to tell, such ideal states of compassion were not achieved even after a lifetime of practice. Sure, intellectually they were embraced and the principles applied in life, but it was a form of control by the intellect, rather than from the depths of their being. For some, their counter desires lay like dry kindling that only needed to smallest spark to ignite. It easy to practice metta from a secure position, not so easy when truly threatened or desperately hungry.

I think that to be truly effective, these actions need to come from some place deeper than intellect.

Compassionate acts based on teachings and reason only go so far.They are like practice or simulations of the real thing. 

They may be insincere and fragile and may not, in fact, transform the practitioner. They may even evoke bitterness and resentment. Monastics are not inherently special, many would probably fare better outside the monastery.

And the greatest act of compassion in many ways is simply to give things and people (and ourselves!) space, just as you allude to in your earlier post. When that space is there, what needs to happen will happen. 

If an action is needed, it will take place - provided we are open enough and connected enough to know when we need to act.

Ever notice how when something is really needed, it is effortless. Almost as if it does itself.

The love that is needed to feed someone else when you are starving or to sacrifice oneself to save another does exist - one needs only to look at the love of a mother for her child, or a soldier saving his comrades from a grenade. 

The ideal you refer to is that of truly feeling, in our bones, towards other people as if they were our own child, as if they were ourselves. It is there if we are open and sensitive enough to feel it.

It's rare to get a glimpse of that but if we get that glimpse, that's where true transformation takes place.

• Like 2

Earlier today I wrote the following...

May all beings use their analytic intelligence in a balanced way, allowing room for the sometimes paradoxical and not-always-strictly-logical wisdom of the heart.

I won´t erase it now but there´s something I don´t like about the post. A certain look-at-me cleverness that seems ironic and out-of-place in a thread on metta. How much better it would be to have the purity of heart exhibited by that little boy in the video CT posted. That´s what I aspire to.

Much of the conversation here at Taobums boils down to intellectual argument, and certainly our local Buddhists are not immune from this tendency. Nothing wrong, I suppose, with philosophical debate and verbal sparing. It keeps the mind sharp. It´s how some people have fun.

But there are limitations to this kind of mental warfare: the egoic investment in being "right," an overinvestment in the logical abilities of our intellects and an underinvestment in the feeling capacity of our hearts. When we derive our sense of self-worth from besting others in argument -- and not all intellectuals do -- well, that´s something to be aware of.

At it´s best, I think the practice of metta (and the other brahma-viharas)can be a corrective to this mindset. Not everyone who practices metta will become a master of compassion, anymore than all tai chi players become masters. But it´s a step in the right direction.

Liminal

Since I can't like this post more than once, I will quote it.

_/\_

• Like 2

Thanks to everyone who has posted comments here. I've read them all with interest. I regret taking an oppositional stand, yet it's very much a heartfelt position. I do not come here to engage in intellectual sparring. I've chanted "May all being be happy" so many times whilst living in Buddhist centres; it's always been a line I found facile even when I was totally enamoured with Buddhism. 

To give an example of what I mean about the fragility of our human compassion here is a post I just read from Flowing Hands directed at Opendao  http://thedaobums.com/topic/34037-according-to-lao-tzu-and-zhuangzi-what-should-be-our-train-of-thought-all-the-time/?p=672410

I include this purely as an example outside of Buddhism of the language a Daoist who claims great compassion can resort to. I don't mean it as judgemental. I'm not condemning him; just observing with sadness the playing out of our actual human condition of which I'm very much a part. 

You really are a very arrogant and silly person who thinks they know about Dao but displays all the qualities of someone who really hasn't an idea about what you are doing or what you are saying.

My advice to you as a Holyman is to forget whatever you hold as being Dao for you really have not the slightest idea about what you are doing or the real teachings of Lei Erh Xian Shi.

According to you, you think you know it all. If this is your attitude, then stay away from Daoist forums and interacting with others, whats the point?

As far as I can see you have not grasped even the basics principles.

Sometimes a teacher needs to be stern to wake the student up.

Compassion isn't always sweet and gentle.

Edited by Jonesboy
  • Like 2

Two times in two days I am multi-quoting you and responding... must be the rain in Orlando :)

We all simply participate in the unending transformative process of the Dao.

Nice summation.  :)

You clearly see the unfurling.... but then what happens next? ;)

Animals in the wild are so full of exuberance, there's a natural zest for living. 

I'm not sure if your juxtaposing that with conditioned [modern] man who is generally absent the wild, exuberance, natural zest for living...  But the man who possesses a similar carefree absence of human distractions does seem rather a dull hat, mindless to the world and without any 'happiness' (to borrow from 3Bob's thread ;)  ).

It easy to practice metta from a secure position, not so easy when truly threatened or desperately hungry.

Ok, good point... so should man either not "try" to practice or are they just more natural when threatened or desperate?

it's always been a line I found facile even when I was totally enamoured with Buddhism. 

What are you enamored with now? :)

To give an example of what I mean about the fragility of our human compassion here is a post I just read from Flowing Hands directed at Opendao  http://thedaobums.com/topic/34037-according-to-lao-tzu-and-zhuangzi-what-should-be-our-train-of-thought-all-the-time/?p=672410

I include this purely as an example outside of Buddhism of the language a Daoist who claims great compassion can resort to. I don't mean it as judgemental. I'm not condemning him; just observing with sadness the playing out of our actual human condition of which I'm very much a part. 

So you clearly see the unfurling 'playing out'... and yourself among the masses.  I am certain there is something more to this story of yours... and it is quite fascinating...  even the 'sadness' aspect.   I feel you're just at that edge that is beyond just unfurling.

• Like 1

maybe, "may all beings resolve their karmas and fulfill their dharma's"  and under those condition's some happiness could be known, but without that what is going to stick...?

Thanks to everyone who has posted comments here. I've read them all with interest. I regret taking an oppositional stand, yet it's very much a heartfelt position. I do not come here to engage in intellectual sparring. I've chanted "May all being be happy" so many times whilst living in Buddhist centres; it's always been a line I found facile even when I was totally enamoured with Buddhism. 

See my post on the other thread.

Remember how Lei Erh dealt with Confucius in their alleged meeting and this was only about ones perspective on Dao. Lei Erh had no time for such people as Confucius who 'played' with the Dao. Opendao needs someone like me to show him an abrupt picture of himself and how he is conducting himself. Perhaps he may learn and grow. Making someone happy and giving them realizations is not about being nice to people. True understanding comes from real experience; this can be devastating  

Happiness is a choice in being. Nothing more or less.

There are no other conditions needed to make the choice. If you're being eaten alive, burned alive, tortured, one may still not be even a tiny bit less or more happy than they are choosing to be.

Under no conditions can any external stimuli influence the choice to be happy and be at peace in this one moment.

When there is the illusion happiness/peace is out of reach due to some external conditions, this is a being ultimately choosing to suffer some phenomena. This uncompassionate choice is always available no matter how good or how bad the phenomena, likewise always equally possible to make the compassionate choice embracing phenomena with gratitude.

Unlimited Love,

-Bud

• Like 2

Happiness is a choice in being. Nothing more or less. There are no other conditions needed to make the choice. If you're being eaten alive, burned alive, tortured, one may still not be even a tiny bit less or more happy than they are choosing to be. Under no conditions can any external stimuli influence the choice to be happy and be at peace in this one moment. When there is the illusion happiness/peace is out of reach due to some external conditions, this is a being ultimately choosing to suffer some phenomena. This uncompassionate choice is always available no matter how good or how bad the phenomena, likewise always equally possible to make the compassionate choice embracing phenomena with gratitude. Unlimited Love, -Bud

I agree with this, but think it´s very advanced viewpoint. Happiness may indeed be a choice that´s always available no matter what, for most of us it´s easier to arrive at this joyful state under some conditions than others.

• Like 3

I agree with this, but think it´s very advanced viewpoint. Happiness may indeed be a choice that´s always available no matter what, for most of us it´s easier to arrive at this joyful state under some conditions than others.

As I said earlier (but borrowed), "This is a good day to die."

• Like 1

I would use the word perspective as opposed to choice with respect to happiness.

Not saying I am right and Bud is wrong, just my personal experience and... well, perspective.

One needs to first have an insight into that perspective and the freedom associated with it before the choice can be made.

Many folks are so deeply wrapped up in the illusion that they really have no choice, and do not have the necessary perspective.

Brian, further meaning I believe per someone like Crazy Horse to say its his dharma or way as an Indian warrior to die with honor in a battle to help save his people....

• Like 1

Brian, further meaning I believe per someone like Crazy Horse to say its his dharma or way as an Indian warrior to die with honor in a battle to help save his people....

Yes, but also that every day is a good day -- not just to die but to live. Low Dog is reported as having said, about five years after Little Bighorn that:

...When it began to be plain that we would have to yield or fight, we had a great many councils. I said, why should I be kept as an humble man, when I am a brave warrior and on my own lands? The game is mine, and the hills, and the valleys, and the white man has no right to say where I shall go or what I shall do. If any white man tries to destroy my property, or take my lands, I will take my gun, get on my horse, and go punish him. I never thought that I would have to change that view. But at last I saw that if I wished to do good to my nation, I would have to do it by wise thinking and not so much fighting...

This all ties into a deeper philosophical understanding, though, which liminal_luke pointed out is an advanced viewpoint -- that the path is to recognize and relax into one's virtue even while understanding that this virtue is also ever-changing.

This has been a blessing for me in recent years.

Thanks but I think I will wait until tomorrow.

Tomorrow is a good day, too. ;)
  • Like 2

See my post on the other thread.

Remember how Lei Erh dealt with Confucius in their alleged meeting and this was only about ones perspective on Dao. Lei Erh had no time for such people as Confucius who 'played' with the Dao. Opendao needs someone like me to show him an abrupt picture of himself and how he is conducting himself. Perhaps he may learn and grow. Making someone happy and giving them realizations is not about being nice to people. True understanding comes from real experience; this can be devastating  

Obviously nobody needs the "happiness" in the form this "holyman" trying to convince us to get it. But then we need to define, what is happiness really?

Buddhism says directly: "no struggling". So the idea is to save all beings out of struggling.

Daoism is more moderate about it, but in Dao De Jing the idea is similar: the king can save its people through Dao cultivation, meaning he has to achieve the level when his own De saves people out of struggling.

The same idea is in Orthodox Christianity: "Save yourself, and thousands will be saved around you" (Seraphim of Sarov).

How it can be possible? The answer is simple: the Dao cultivation grows De and makes it miraculous. That's the only way to help people and make them really happy.

Edited by opendao
  • Like 1

"true understanding comes from real experience, this can be devastating"  by flowing hands

I'd say and add, "devastating" only to the ego/personality while liberating for the spirit/being.  (if that is what you meant?)

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this