admin

Resources: Books, Links, Articles, Movies, etc.

Hi Chang,

Here's the blurb on Decoding the Dao from the web: does it still sound to you like a rehash of the Chinese National Chi Kung Institute Chi Kung Correspondence Program? I have a couple of Bisio's books. They are not expensive and packed with info, so I am very curious about this one.

"Decoding the Dao: Nine Lessons in Daoist Meditation by Tom Bisio:

A Complete and Comprehensive Guide To Daoist Meditation

At its heart, Daoist meditation is a simple and practical method of establishing unity between our internal environment and the external world so that we can engage with life in a clear and present way.

In Decoding the Dao: Nine Lessons in Daoist Meditation, author Tom Bisio introduces the reader to the poetry and pragmatism of Daoist meditation and the practice of Internal Alchemy. The first half of this unique book consists of nine progressive lessons that guide the reader step by step through the practice of Daoist meditation, ending with an introduction to Daoist Internal Alchemy. The nine lessons teach the reader how to observe and transform their own internal landscape, in order to rejuvenate and replenish the bodys innate energies, thereby promoting health and nourishing life and spirit. The lessons can be practiced in sequence or individually, providing the reader with a veritable toolbox of meditative practices that can be used flexibly to address different situations and circumstances. Each lesson contains both practice exercises and discussions of relevant topics to flesh out the reasoning behind the various methods of meditation and help the reader more deeply understand the principles and theories that underlie the practice.

Beyond the nine lessons, additional chapters introduce advanced practices like the Greater Heavenly Orbit Meditation and other traditional Daoist methods of promoting health and longevity. This is followed by an unique discussion of Daoist symbolism and imagery and its relationship to meditation and internal alchemy. Daoist symbols and images act as a kind of code that, when decoded and understood, aid the meditator, giving him or her an alternative and imagery-rich language which bypasses habitual mental constructs and perceptual habits, facilitating the perception of subtle movements and changes within the body. This book cracks the code, enabling the reader to fully engage with this ancient and powerful tradition of transformation and transcendence.

The book also includes a translation of Daoist practice methods written by the famous Ba Gua practitioner, Sun Xi Kun. Sun includes a very interesting section on Daoist meditation practices for women."

• Like 2

Hi Cheya,

It would be difficult to give an answer without seeing the book. The correspondence course consists of nine parts which lead you through progressive exercises in great detail. If you click on the link I gave above you can look through the whole course. There is also a great deal of background information given.

I have no gripe with Bisio but do wonder if the information in the book follows the same path as in the course, which is Tien Dao Chi Kung. My curiosity is not so great that I will be buying the book but good luck to anyone who does though.

• Like 1

Re: Tom Bisio's book: Decoding the Dao, Nine Lessons...

You can read excerpts from lessons eight and nine at his website:

http://www.internalartsinternational.com/free/daoist-meditation-lesson-eight-theory-golden-fluid-the-micro-cosmic-orbit/#Hormones_Jing_and_The_Endocrine_System

and

http://www.internalartsinternational.com/free/daoist-meditation-lesson-nine-theory-golden-fluid-returning-to-dantian-meditation/

What cha think, Chang? Is that enough for you to tell if it looks like a rehash?

Edit: Actually, it looks like Bisio has generously posted most, if not all, of the nine lessons on his website. There's much more to the book than the lessons, but scroll through here if you want more of them:

http://www.internalartsinternational.com/free/

Edited by cheya
  • Like 1

If you like to know about new books in energy arts/eastern practices and when authors are giving workshops, consider subscribing to Singing Dragon's newsletter. Topics include chinese medicine and acupuncture, energy arts, aromatherapy, Daoist meditation, internal energy, and all sorts of interesting stuff. Their authors include Damo Mitchell, David Twicken, Zhongxian Wu and many others. The newsletter announces new books and tells where the authors will be presenting workshops (like Damo Mitchell's being in Va next month for a 2 day workshop on Sung!)

Check it out here:

http://www.singingdragon.com/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=USA-Singing+Dragon+Newsletter-Sep14&utm_content=USA-Singing+Dragon+Newsletter-Sep14+CID_52d6ffe42d4912abbbb1b8e1022f3aac&utm_source=Email%20marketing&utm_term=Singing%20Dragon

• Like 1

"...this scientist found a new type of bacteria living inside mitochondria (the cellular energy factories that themselves arose from bacteria)..."
"...The new species is called, of course, Midichloria mitochondrii, and Lucas is reportedly very pleased. Should be, since he based midichlorians on mitochondria in the first place..."

Star Wars: 15 Things You Didn't Know About Midi-Chlorians   https://screenrant.com/star-wars-midi-chlorians-facts-trivia/

Midi-Chlorians:
Physiology, Physics, and the Force

by Chris Knight

http://www.theforce.net/midichlorians/index.asp

The boy nodded his understanding. "Can I ask you something?" The Jedi Master nodded. "What are midi-chlorians?"
Wind whipped at Qui-Gon's long hair, blowing strands of it across his strong face. "Midi-chlorians are microscopic life-forms that reside within the cells of all living things and communicate with the Force."
"They live inside of me?" the boy asked.
"In your cells." Qui-Gon paused. "We are symbionts with the midi-chlorians."
"Symbi-what?"
"Symbionts. Life-forms living together for mutual advantage. Without the midi-chlorians, life could not exist, and we would have no knowledge of the Force. Our midi-chlorians continually speak to us, Annie, telling us the will of the Force."
"They do?"
Qui-Gon cocked one eyebrow. "When you learn to quiet your mind, you will hear them speaking to you."
Anakin thought about it for a moment, then frowned. "I don't understand."
Qui-Gon smiled, and his eyes were warm and secretive. "With time and training, Annie, you will."

--from "Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace" novelization by Terry Brooks