GrandTrinity

Everyone post some favorite quotes!

4 minutes ago, blue eyed snake said:

seek freedom and become captive of your desires,

seek discipline and find your liberty

forgotten the source

That's Frank Herbert, from Chapterhouse: Dune (an absolutely phenomenal series which I have read several times...)

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, blue eyed snake said:

hm, time to reread it

I was thinking the same thing!

For what is it to die, But to stand in the sun and melt into the wind? And when the Earth has claimed our limbs, Then we shall truly dance.
--Kahlil Gibran

• Like 5

Boundless and free is the sky.

Heaven and earth and I are of the same root,

the ten-thousand things and I

are of one substance.

Sêng-chao

• Like 7

Would you believe in what you believe in if you were the only one who believed it?

Kanye West 

• Like 2

"We are at war, but the only way to win this war is to be as understanding, non biased and politically correct as possible.” PC Principal (South Park)

On 6/2/2017 at 8:49 AM, OldSaint said:

"You want a quiet, smooth-running brain that allows easy access to what is stored there. A cadillac engine of the mind. You don't want a sleepy, moody, ignorant, slow, or jerky brain with a bad memory as a result of not knowing how to do basic preventative maintenance. It's time to change the oil!" Path Notes of an American Ninja Master by Glenn Morris

On 6/2/2017 at 10:56 AM, Papayapple said:

giphy.gif

Doc Morris had his own twist on an old meditation method.  He called it 'Dr Death's Humbling Bad-Ass Brain Scrub.  Simple but not easy, count your breaths from 1 to 10 then repeat; going back to one if any extraneous thought occurs.   And be honest- this is going well.. I'm doing it.. I'm not thinking.. my nose itches.. all send you back to 1. 

• Like 3

Tapio Raevaara Helsinki Finland (found on an old martial arts website)

Happiness is a skill found within.  If a person is happy or unhappy just depending on external circumstances, it's like being adrift on the sea.

You say you're only able to find temporary happiness in your family, friend and work...  Do you think that will change if you manage to improve the status quo? I don't think so.  By definition, happiness brought by external circumstances is circumstantial - thus, temporary. You would still be a slave to the circumstances.

• Like 4

"When the student is ready the teacher will appear. When the student is truly ready.....the teacher will disappear."  Lao-Tzu 

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, OldSaint said:

"When the student is ready the teacher will appear. When the student is truly ready.....the teacher will disappear."  Lao-Tzu 

Nice!

• Like 1

"In my experience, everyone will say they want to discover the Truth, right up until they realize that the Truth will rob them of their deepest held ideas, beliefs, hopes, and dreams. The freedom of enlightenment means much more than the experience of love and peace. It means discovering a Truth that will turn your view of self and life upside-down. For one who is truly ready, this will be unimaginably liberating. But for one who is still clinging in any way, this will be extremely challenging indeed.

How does one know if they are ready? One is ready when they are willing to be absolutely consumed, when they are willing to be fuel for a fire without end."

~Adyashanti

• Like 7

“I'm going to enjoy every second, and I'm going to know I'm enjoying it while I'm enjoying it. Most people don't live; they just race. They are trying to reach some goal far away on the horizon, and in the heat of the going they get so breathless and panting that they lose sight of the beautiful, tranquil country they are passing through; and then the first thing they know, they are old and worn out, and it doesn't make any difference whether they've reached the goal or not.” 
 Jean Webster

from an old book for young girls

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, blue eyed snake said:

from an old book for young girls

I am glad some young girls read that as many offered me nice company while I was doing my thing.  I always did enjoy getting lost when I was travelling at leisure.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

I am glad some young girls read that as many offered me nice company while I was doing my thing.  I always did enjoy getting lost when I was travelling at leisure.

That reminds me of one of my favorite quotes by JRR Tolkien

"Not all those who wander are lost."

It's part of this poem from Lord of the Rings

All that is gold does not glitter,

Not all those who wander are lost;

The old that is strong does not wither,

Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,

A light from the shadows shall spring;

Renewed shall be blade that was broken,

The crownless again shall be king.

• Like 5

and since yesterday at work was... unpleasant...

I share this one again, in hopes that writing it and not just thinking it will help me embody it today.

"Remain silent, or say something better than silence."  Pythagorus

• Like 6