Sign in to follow this  
Todd

Studying Chinese Medicine in China: Suggestions?

I complete my master's program in TCM in a few days and I am planning on going to China in September for further exploration. My plan at the moment in to visit a few different cities/schools for a few weeks or a month each, to get a feel for where would be a good place to study at longer. Current plans are: Hangzhou, Chengdu, and Kunming.

I am primarily interested in finding practitioners who have a depth of understanding. Even just a depth of understanding of physiology in Chinese medical terms, which can be translated to well chosen treatment strategies and treatments, would be appreciated. If this has developed in the context of some form of cultivation/contemplation, and goes along with a certain freedom of mind, such that learning and exploration continues, and nothing is held as sacred in the face of experience, then all the better.

Any suggestions, based on first or second hand experience, would be greatly appreciated.

Three beautiful cities.

Honestly the type of doctor you're looking for could be found anywhere, though everywhere you go, they'll be hard to find. Speaking Chinese definitely helps. Having connections helps even more.

How much time are you willing to invest?

Three beautiful cities.

Honestly the type of doctor you're looking for could be found anywhere, though everywhere you go, they'll be hard to find. Speaking Chinese definitely helps. Having connections helps even more.

How much time are you willing to invest?

I had a sense that this was the case, which is part of why I'm visiting a few different places to see what comes up and go back to the one which seems most promising.

It is looking like 3 months initial look around, then 8-9 more months after that. If I am compelled to stay longer, I might look into either getting a scholarship and focusing on Chinese for a year, or else teaching English to support myself while continuing studying.

Really it depends on what arises. If by the end of the three months it seems obvious to come back to the States and to start a practice, then that is what I'll do. Same thing goes for spending years in China/Taiwan.

I speak enough Chinese to get around but not enough to learn much of anything at a high level.

Edit: Any suggestions for developing connections? I tend to see this as an outgrowth of awareness and intention, and some degree of humility. Perhaps there is some nuts and bolts stuff that it would be useful to know, though?

Edited by Todd

I had a sense that this was the case, which is part of why I'm visiting a few different places to see what comes up and go back to the one which seems most promising.

It is looking like 3 months initial look around, then 8-9 more months after that. If I am compelled to stay longer, I might look into either getting a scholarship and focusing on Chinese for a year, or else teaching English to support myself while continuing studying.

Really it depends on what arises. If by the end of the three months it seems obvious to come back to the States and to start a practice, then that is what I'll do. Same thing goes for spending years in China/Taiwan.

I speak enough Chinese to get around but not enough to learn much of anything at a high level.

Edit: Any suggestions for developing connections? I tend to see this as an outgrowth of awareness and intention, and some degree of humility. Perhaps there is some nuts and bolts stuff that it would be useful to know, though?

If you're smart and glowing the right people will know. The bigger problem is for you to out who's on the level. Being overly eager or overly skeptical could get you into trouble. Be yourself, your best one, and trust your instincts. Then what will be will be.

Studying Chinese isn't expensive. If you can afford it, I say if you find a city you like, give it a semester. In that time you can get a foothold in the language and get to know who's who in the city. The Chinese, almost as a rule, keep outsiders out and insiders close. Once you get into a social network, it's clear sailing. And as a westerner you'll be afforded leeway for inevitable faux pas.

As for connections, teachers of your TCM masters program would be a good place to start. I owe the bulk of my good fortune to my stateside Qigong master. Get an introduction from one of your teachers and you'll be on easy street.

If you don't have the connections going over, best put your faith in Yuanfen. If you have a good practice and a good heart, things will work out.

Good luck,

SYD

Sign in to follow this