Sign in to follow this  
innerspace_cadet

This verse by Chuang Tzu intrigues me...

There is a verse in the writings of Chuang Tzu where he states that "happiness is the absence of striving for happiness."

I think one possible interpretation is that at the end of the spiritual quest, when one attains Tao, nirvana, enlightenment, moksha, etc. one no longer experiences dukkha and no longer has to struggle or fight through life. The Buddhist monk Ajahn Chah once said that you have to suffer before you overcome suffering. A book I was reading by a Hindu swami about jnana yoga said that those on the path struggle, but those who have reached the end of the path do not.

Another possible interpretation is that happiness is not a "thing" to be acquired, and thus it makes no sense to strive towards it, it is a natural state that needs uncovering. In other words, it can't be striven for because it isn't something external to you.

I'm wondering if you really need to "do" anything to be happy. I also wonder if you already are unhappy, do you need to "do" certain things such as meditation, yoga, etc. to release oneself from dukkha? But isn't that a form of striving?

I guess it depends on what Chuang Tzu means by happiness.

I'm wondering if you really need to "do" anything to be happy.

That right there is the attitude that a lot of people have, and unfortunately, in my humble opinion, it leads people FURTHER from happiness.

Everyone wants to "do" something to fix the problem.

"Oh, I'm late for work, what can I "do" to get there on time?"- run!

"Oh, my girlfriend is thinking of breaking up with me, what can I "do" to keep her?"- buy her stuff!

Sometimes "doing" something is the answer...... but sometimes it isn't.

"I'm stressed with lots of work, what can I "do" to free up my schedule?"- nothing! If you "do" stuff you only add to your schedule!

"I have a headache from all my stress, what can I "do" to make it go away?"- nothing! If you stress out about how to fix your headache, it'll only make it worse!

Unfortunately it's the "not doing" that people have a hard time with. Maybe that's the secret that this verse points to? Wu wei. Stop trying to "get" this happiness. Like water, the tighter you try and grasp it, the more you lose.

The less you "do", the more gets done. The less you "grab", the more you hold :)

Real happiness is the natural side effect of living in the experiential understanding of the nature of life. When one knows how life works, then one's liberated because your not bound by projections of hopes and fantasies, your happy to just be a part of the flow. Your not trying to find a happiness that is built upon a fantasy of how things should be, but rather your happiness is of how things actually are, right now, always.

Edited by Vajrahridaya

Well, I'll be damned!!!

Vajrahridaya actually speaks the Tao language. I am glad my faith in him held through!!

Indeed. There is a time to do and there is a time to not-do.

Happiness is like the Tao. You cannot seek it - it seeks you. When you are ready happiness will fill your body and mind.

Be well!

Repose, tranquillity, stillness, inaction, these were the levels of the universe, the ultimate perfection of Tao. Therefore wise rules and Sages rest therein. Resting therein they reach the unconditioned, from which springs the conditioned; and with the conditioned comes order. Again, from the unconditioned comes repose, and from repose comes movement, and from movement comes attainment. Further, from repose comes inaction, and from inactions comes potentiality of action. And inaction is happiness; and where there is happiness no cares can abide, and life is long.

Is your quote this one ?

Perfect happiness is the absence of happiness; perfect renown is the absence of renown

the above riped from pages here http://www.universal-tao-eproducts.com/tao...ntentsUTEP.html

What is the best amount of happiness?

That amount that allows you to function in the world, but not get caught up in the ever changing appearances. so, that amount that allows for wisdom in action.

There is a verse in the writings of Chuang Tzu where he states that "happiness is the absence of striving for happiness."

I think one possible interpretation is that at the end of the spiritual quest, when one attains Tao, nirvana, enlightenment, moksha, etc. one no longer experiences dukkha and no longer has to struggle or fight through life. The Buddhist monk Ajahn Chah once said that you have to suffer before you overcome suffering. A book I was reading by a Hindu swami about jnana yoga said that those on the path struggle, but those who have reached the end of the path do not.

Another possible interpretation is that happiness is not a "thing" to be acquired, and thus it makes no sense to strive towards it, it is a natural state that needs uncovering. In other words, it can't be striven for because it isn't something external to you.

I'm wondering if you really need to "do" anything to be happy. I also wonder if you already are unhappy, do you need to "do" certain things such as meditation, yoga, etc. to release oneself from dukkha? But isn't that a form of striving?

I guess it depends on what Chuang Tzu means by happiness.

Dao Dao is no Dao

the Dao-Path toward the Dao is not the Dao

I think searching for your own happiness, you will come across other people's fight for it...

If you look not to your own happiness, but to the general happiness... it's a different story.

If you search your own happiness, you're nothing more than a selfish person.

I rarely see selfish people Genuinely happy.

Besides, if you are searching for happiness, from psychollogy's p.o.v , it shows that you are emotionally imature.

You should instead search for contentment. To be content with who you are, what you can do, and what you have.

Hope this helps

L1

Edited by Little1

Sign in to follow this