longrhythm

The microcosmic spinal cord

The spinal cord is composed of an anterior and posterior horn, or front and back channels. Nerve roots exit the spaces between discs on either side, and comprise of a fusion of the front and back channel at each root before traveling out to the areas of the body innervated by that level of the spine.

The anterior horn handles motor nerves. Commands from the brain travel down the front to execute movement in the parts of the body to be moved.

The posterior horn handles sensory nerves. Data from the various parts of the body travel up the back into the brain to communicate state of being.

Ancient taoists knew this experientially, modern science defines it however it does. Pretty cool.

Also cool. The yin channel travels down the front, this is the pathway by which the body receives the spirit. The end result is manifestation of yang energy- motor control, movement of the body, outward projection.

Yang travels through the yin channel. Yang within the yin.

The yang channel travels up the back, this is the pathway by which the body speaks to the brain. The end result is manifestation of yin energy- inner sensuality, regulation of bodily substance, inward balance and harmonization. Yin travels through the yang channel. Yin within the yang.

Science can be fun.

Ancient taoists knew this experientially, modern science defines it however it does. Pretty cool.

<snip>

Science can be fun.

Yes :)

The spinal cord is composed of an anterior and posterior horn, or front and back channels. Nerve roots exit the spaces between discs on either side, and comprise of a fusion of the front and back channel at each root before traveling out to the areas of the body innervated by that level of the spine.

The anterior horn handles motor nerves. Commands from the brain travel down the front to execute movement in the parts of the body to be moved.

The posterior horn handles sensory nerves. Data from the various parts of the body travel up the back into the brain to communicate state of being.

Also cool. The yin channel travels down the front, this is the pathway by which the body receives the spirit. The end result is manifestation of yang energy- motor control, movement of the body, outward projection.

Yang travels through the yin channel. Yang within the yin.

The yang channel travels up the back, this is the pathway by which the body speaks to the brain. The end result is manifestation of yin energy- inner sensuality, regulation of bodily substance, inward balance and harmonization. Yin travels through the yang channel. Yin within the yang.

Science can be fun.

Yep, this is the reason Taoist medicine is one of the more powerful therapeutic forms that exists.

Hm.. Im about to start the MCO any advice?

I did it awhile before but took a bit of a break to practice the basics more.

Be patient and do it whenever you can. Sometimes I noticed that the energy didn't start really feeling and moving until when I stopped trying to move it. Later on you will notice it's constantly moving and you're definitely not imagining it, the pressure in the crown, sinuses and the periuneum, electricity in the sacrum, funny bubble going up the spine.. I nowadays find myself doing it without thinking, while driving the car or sitting on the train, even when walking in the woods, right now as a matter of fact.. It's doing itself. You're simply working on the channels to open them up for a stronger flow and this might take time depending on your current situation.

KK is spot on about not really trying. Visualization is good as training wheels but your goal is to get off them. The thing that works for me, knowing the layout of the spinal cord, is to realize that by sending intent to any level of your spine, you automatically create a circuit. That is to say, if you just "think" about bending at the waist, without doing it, you're engaging your motor nerves at the waist, sending signal down the front channel. By keeping your attention there, sensory info comes up the back by itself, completing a circuit.

The best tools I've found are maintaining focus at various points along the circuit, various levels at the spine, for long periods of time. Entire meditation sessions on one point in the spine are INCREDIBLY HELPFUL.

And narrowing the visualizing to stay within the spinal column was a breakthrough for me. Trunk has some good info on http://www.alchemicaltaoism.com that changed the way I thought of it- the spinal column is actually several inches in from the back.

And as always experiment and find what works for you, because we're all coming from a slightly different disposition.

Best.

Be patient and do it whenever you can. Sometimes I noticed that the energy didn't start really feeling and moving until when I stopped trying to move it. Later on you will notice it's constantly moving and you're definitely not imagining it, the pressure in the crown, sinuses and the periuneum, electricity in the sacrum, funny bubble going up the spine.. I nowadays find myself doing it without thinking, while driving the car or sitting on the train, even when walking in the woods, right now as a matter of fact.. It's doing itself. You're simply working on the channels to open them up for a stronger flow and this might take time depending on your current situation.

IMO MCO should be AFTER creation and development of Dan Tian. And if you don't know what this means then find a teacher who can show you.

Pick up the YMAA Embryonic Breathing book as a start :)