Sign in to follow this  
DalTheJigsaw123

I Want To Learn Everything About Qi Gong! (Where Do I Start?)

Hello, it is I again! :) I have so many questions; I hope you all do not mind. I believe I have found a practice I would like to pursue. I want to start practicing Qi Gong with a combination of meditation. I would like to know more about Qi Gong. Resources, Books, Thoughts and Opinions on Qi Gong? I will be looking for a teacher for now; to learn the basics. I do not have much money though, so I might begin with YouTube/Google Videos and then see if I can find someone to give me the basics; maybe a few lessons? I have been watching YouTube videos all day on Qi Gong and I find it amazing. I can practice it every day.

1. How long does one need to practice if practiced daily?

2. Is there a particular diet involved when practicing Qi Gong?

3. Should I start with meditation first?

4. Can it be used as martial arts like Tai Chi?

5. Morning/Evenings/Nights

6. Can it be done evenings and nights for now and then later on mornings?

7. How do you know if you are doing it right, if one is doing it by self-teaching?

Thank you all again!:) Forgive for all of the questions. Not sure who else to talk too.

Hello, it is I again! :) I have so many questions; I hope you all do not mind. I believe I have found a practice I would like to pursue. I want to start practicing Qi Gong with a combination of meditation. I would like to know more about Qi Gong. Resources, Books, Thoughts and Opinions on Qi Gong? I will be looking for a teacher for now; to learn the basics. I do not have much money though, so I might begin with YouTube/Google Videos and then see if I can find someone to give me the basics; maybe a few lessons? I have been watching YouTube videos all day on Qi Gong and I find it amazing. I can practice it every day.

7. How do you know if you are doing it right, if one is doing it by self-teaching?

Thank you all again!:) Forgive for all of the questions. Not sure who else to talk too.

Get a copy of "The Complete Book of Chinese Health and Healing" by Daniel Reid (Shambhala Pub.) It's not an exhaustive work on the subject, but it will give a good sense of how chi kung relates to the overall goals of Taoist and philosophy and the whole purpose for practicing it.

"Scholar/Warrior" by Deng Ming-Dao is really informative too, and probably cheaper on amazon.

Edited by Blasto

Start by retraining your diaphragm.

Step one is learning to descend the qi/air pocket/focus to the belly.

Inhale deeply and have your belly expand out.

Drop your sternum to help guide the qi down.

Keep the shoulders down to further drop the qi.

Pull the pelvis up in the front to make room for the belly expansion and flatten the back.

Descend the qi to the belly and then you can work on path 1. If you can't descend the qi to the

belly region, you can't charge the battery. If you collect qi and the breathing is still high in the

body, in the early stages, it can develop qi stagnation which leads to physical and emotional imbalances.

It usually takes my students about 2 weeks to fully reverse the diaphragm. Just think, we've been told to suck it in and up for years. That puts the breath and qi focus on the heart. The heart is an engine, not made to store qi but made to move qi. You'll get to that later.

The battery of the intestine runs best at a slightly acidic ph balance. That means a grain such as rice or quinoa, some steamed veggies and a small amount of protein. Water is essential. If you are not hydrated, you will not have enough plasma to conduct thermodynamic heat. Yang qi.

Have fun!

Edited by Eternal_Student

As long as you feel comfortable with. No rule however the more doesn't mean the better. Please read link that discusses this in Tim Cartmell's forum (law of diminishing returns)

Eat healthy.

If you like, why not.

No.

Morning and evening. Morning more refreshing and calming.

No nights.

Keep asking. You'll eventually stuff up as usual, then we will help you.

I would start by reading and grasping well the ideas discussed in the links I posted in a related thread of yours. You haven't done so. If you carry on with this childish behaviour you might get hurt. Just be careful because you don't know what you are dealing with in here.

I would start by reading and grasping well the ideas discussed in the links I posted in a related thread of yours. You haven't done so. If you carry on with this childish behaviour you might get hurt. Just be careful because you don't know what you are dealing with in here.

Thank you!

A book I really liked was

The Art of Chi Kung: Making the Most of Your Vital Energy by Wong Kiew Kit

and while I don't own it Scholar Warrior by Deng Ming-Dao would be a good one too IIRC

A book I really liked was

The Art of Chi Kung: Making the Most of Your Vital Energy by Wong Kiew Kit

and while I don't own it Scholar Warrior by Deng Ming-Dao would be a good one too IIRC

Thank you so much! I think I just need to get a Master/Instructor? As this kind of practice is dangerous? Or so the research I have done states.

Thank you so much! I think I just need to get a Master/Instructor? As this kind of practice is dangerous? Or so the research I have done states.

Ah, so you finally get it. Good. But continue your research, because you will find that while most but not all forms are good, all forms are not equal.

all forms are not equal.

Yes that's a tricky bit because as a beginner it is so hard to tell. They all take a bit of time and constant practice before you feel anything. So at the start it's hard to know if you are doing things wrong or correctly or what is going on.

Crossing the road is also dangerous if done incorrectly! Wong Kiew Kit list the forms he does in that book because he believes it is possible to learn them from a book and they are safe even if done slightly incorrectly. But a teacher is certainly an asset.

I would read as much as I could (I like reading) while I was looking for a teacher to appear. The journey is just as important as the destination :)

A good bowel movement is the best pillow :)

Yes that's a tricky bit because as a beginner it is so hard to tell. They all take a bit of time and constant practice before you feel anything. So at the start it's hard to know if you are doing things wrong or correctly or what is going on.

Crossing the road is also dangerous if done incorrectly! Wong Kiew Kit list the forms he does in that book because he believes it is possible to learn them from a book and they are safe even if done slightly incorrectly. But a teacher is certainly an asset.

I would read as much as I could (I like reading) while I was looking for a teacher to appear. The journey is just as important as the destination :)

I love it! Thank you.

Sign in to follow this