Sign in to follow this  
Encephalon

Need an enlightened response to a mundane detail...

I check out "Iron Shirt Chi Kung" from the local library. I notice it has a little water damage, but I say nothing (my first mistake) and assume that times are tough and they don't throw away books that are in less than perfect condition. I return the book and they slap a $27 fine on me for damages. The guy argues with me and is clearly not hearing my argument - we are both sticking to our own rationale - and I leave after telling him that it's not over. I also ask for the book back. We both agree that if I can find a cheap copy on Amazon, there is possible resolution.

My fiance argues that I should have made a scene at the local library in order to get him to defuse the situation and give in. My argument, the desire for equanimity aside, is that I'd like to add the book to my own library, and maybe Amazon is the answer.

How would you handle it? WWBD, or WWTD?

Well, it sells on Amazon new for $11.53.

Do whatever you need to do to put the incedent in the past and move on.

(I would have made a scene. Hehehe.)

Happy Trails!

There's a rule in business, if at first you don't succeed, go over the person's head. You may be dealing w/ a librarian pissant who's had a bad day and is taking it out on you.

If its possible go a level higher (there's always a higher authority), in person or on the phone. You know the book was water damaged, he is guessing, you have an excellent case. Start gentle w/ your love and respect for the library, and state your case to a higher authority.

My 2 cents

Michael

I work in an academic library and can tell you that thelerner's suggestion is your best bet, if you're a frequent library user it will be obvious in your record that this is an isolated incident.

And just so you know what it's like on the other side of the desk...I've only heard of a couple of patrons EVER admitting they damaged a book, the other million or so said "it was that way when I got it". So, a reminder, always check over materials when you check them out (water damage, torn pages, notes in margins...) and make the staff aware before you leave the library.

I check out "Iron Shirt Chi Kung" from the local library. I notice it has a little water damage, but I say nothing (my first mistake) and assume that times are tough and they don't throw away books that are in less than perfect condition. I return the book and they slap a $27 fine on me for damages. The guy argues with me and is clearly not hearing my argument - we are both sticking to our own rationale - and I leave after telling him that it's not over. I also ask for the book back. We both agree that if I can find a cheap copy on Amazon, there is possible resolution.

My fiance argues that I should have made a scene at the local library in order to get him to defuse the situation and give in. My argument, the desire for equanimity aside, is that I'd like to add the book to my own library, and maybe Amazon is the answer.

How would you handle it? WWBD, or WWTD?

Donate $27. It's not a lot of money for me. Plus, I love libraries and fundamentally support the principle that guides the establishment and maintenance of libraries. This would be a rare opportunity to help maintain one. It's not like you get a water-damaged book every year. This is probably once in a life-time thing.

Unless you work for minimum wage or slightly above that, you shouldn't argue over $27 dollars. That shows your miserliness and cheapness, and definitely disqualifies you from many spiritual circles. For example, I probably wouldn't have a very close friendship with you if I knew you behaved like that over a little bit of cash with a library. Keep in mind that library is a charitable institution.

If Best Buy ripped you off for 27 dollars, it would be a different story. Best Buy is a business and then instead of telling you give up 27 bucks I'd be advising you how to be shrewd and bargain with them for all your worth, since that's what they do to you given half the chance.

Sign in to follow this