Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

Hello again,

finally I had the opportunity to exercise, but I faced a problem.

While exercising the standing meditations, in the beginning it's all OK, but after some time my legs start to hurt(like tired) and shake, and my arms also start to hurt in the shoulder area. I tried the sitting meditations too, but there I had a hurt in the back. So, I am not able to follow the whole video :(. I try to be as relaxed as possible, but it seems I am doing something wrong.

Any of you experienced this, or know what the problem is ?

All the best, QGLover.

Hello,

I would encourage you to persevere as much as you can (within reason and your own comfort) - pain experienced in the beginning is usually a sign of energy blockages that will get sorted out as you do the exercises, so this in itself is feedback on upcoming progress that will be had. Rest assured, the pain should subside as you progress through the practice, be patient and take your time.

All the best in your training,

Rene'

Hello again,

finally I had the opportunity to exercise, but I faced a problem.

While exercising the standing meditations, in the beginning it's all OK, but after some time my legs start to hurt(like tired) and shake, and my arms also start to hurt in the shoulder area. I tried the sitting meditations too, but there I had a hurt in the back. So, I am not able to follow the whole video :(. I try to be as relaxed as possible, but it seems I am doing something wrong.

Any of you experienced this, or know what the problem is ?

All the best, QGLover.

• Like 2

If you cant hold a posture for that long then work up to it, remember listen to your body, you know the limit within yourself but make sure its not just your mind that is weak and its your muscular system People seem to either give up early or over do it me thinks and should gradually work up to holding positions for long periods of time.

When you do Jaam Jong or slow moving meditations your body will dump a lot of rubbish into you system, the aches and pains are rubbish and until the body starts to heal or remove this rubbish you will get aches and pains. Good food and lots of water can also help, water especially after training to help flush out toxins as well that is why herbal medicine such as teas, tonic, soups are added for students incase they are not healthy enough for a certain set of meditations. If you are not told this or guided and that is why the meditations have levels and each level should be mastered otherwise FP should just have 1 meditation if you can pick and choose when and where you want to start in the system. If starting at level 3 meds gives you more or better results without the beginning levels such as level 1 then why have such a big system? ;)

I believe one must start at the beginning....

regards

Sifu Garry

• Like 2

I have a somewhat different question from my previous ones. I intend to learn the beginning portions of the Flying Phoenix meditations but I also want to learn a kung fu style called Jow Ga. My question is that since Jow Ga has a physical strengthening qigong called Iron Wire (taken from Hung Ga actually) built into it's curriculum, will the two conflict energeticly? I'm just curious because I don't want to get my wires crossed here.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out here. ^_^

Shen

Actually I haven't begun just yet, I planned to start them both at the same time, I found a distance course to learn through, from a Sifu Sam Chan, Small Tiger is indeed where his curiculum starts however. Thank you Sifu Garry for your most valued input, this puts my mind greatly at ease. ^_^

Warmest Regards,

Shen

Edited by Shen555

I have a good friend Sifu Andy Troung he is of Vietamese and knows Jow Ga, Bak Mei, Lung Ying pai, i used to teach bak mei to his students and YKM back in the early 90's. We are Brothers in kung fu! Also Sifu Randy Bennet he is of the hongkong Jow Gar Sifu Dean Chin was his teacher I believe, Anyway great that you doing a traditional system. Jow gar is very big plenty of weapons and forms and 2 man sets.

regards

Sifu Garry

Thank you kindly Sifu Garry, I appreciate this bit of history you've shared. I'm a bit reclusive and am not really a traveller, truthfully my travel papers expired ages ago so these DVD's that act as distance courses and these forums with all these nice people on it are the best I can do for my life situation. I may not reach the highest level of skill but I have hope that I will be able to do fairly good at least through a lot of study, training and good old fashioned hard work. Truthfully I've always believed that with enough hard work one can achieve anything. Oh and is practicing the kung fu first as a warm up then the meditations second after my body has been woken up a good workout plan, or should I reverse that? again any thoughts are apreciated. ^_^

Warmest Regards,

Shen

Edited by Shen555

Thank you very much for that reply, that gives me a lot of hope as to what I can do in the future with enough training and hard work. You Sifu Garry and Sifu Terry have got to be the most open minded people I've seen online when it comes to this and for that I'm greatful and can only imagine that your students must have great skills indeed. Teachers of your quality are indeed hard to come by, Grandmaster Doo Wai really knows what he's doing when he certifies a teacher if I do say so myself. ^_^

Warmest Regards,

Shen

Edited by Shen555

Thankyou for the nice compliments, you are to kind! :)

I was already teaching Bak Mei and Yau Kung Mun prior to learning BFP so I was able to easily pick it up. Plus my Sifu was very traditional and I had to learn chinese and the customs which lead me to be a Taoist officially in 1992. Kung Fu is my path which is also my so called Religion (daoism) but I find those principles in western magic and hermetic knowledge. The meaning for Kung Fu is Hard work, there is no other way to develop your whole being without Hard work which is Kung Fu! If your doing Kung fu for a fad or something to learn to just get fit or fight I think you may not last but usually a good kung fu school and sifu will change a students mind and get them to see themselves that kung fu is much more than moving and fighting...

Good luck with it all and please post your journey of FP for us all to read if you choose to keep that personal that is also great but please document it personally for your own intrest.

Regards

Sifu Garry :)

Thank you very much Sifu Garry and your more than welcome. I understand the implications that kung fu entails and have a good idea of what I'm getting into, truthfully I've wanted to learn it since I was only around 8 or 9 but never found what I'd call an adequate means to study it on my own until just recently, I had found that as I read more and more I eventually discovered that the appropriate means to learn it was always right under my nose, I was just simply too immature and perhaps too fanatical earlier on to realize it. For me the kung fu practice is to first empower my physical body and after that I plan to take it to a more spiritual level. I will gladly keep everyone posted on my progress. I'll be putting in my order for the neccessary study materials in just a few days and then It'll be time to get started. Best of luck to everyone on their training and I will work as hard as I can on mine. ^_^

Warmest Regards,

Shen

Edited by Shen555

Some meditation such as Burning Palm has 3 times to train it and each of these 3 times work with the said meditations to gather the energies of the sun and moon, earth. Some meditations in BFP has to be done at the same time everyday no missing or no results that is how serious it is and how serious you wanna be.

Sifu Garry

I understand perfectly, thanks for giving me an idea of what it's like Sifu Garry. I certainly have my work cut out for me but I won't be detered, I'm going to give it all I've got. To be perfectly honest I never expected a picnic though. :lol:

Warmest Regards,

Shen

Edited by Shen555

In the old days some masters learnt from secret family books or fighting manuals these days you have dvds much better, all you need to do is find a teacher to share his knowledge through this method (correspondence) properly.

Here, here! A great point that many of us have taken for granted.

what a difference 100 years makes. With video, film, Flip cameras, webcam, DVD's and Youtube,the preservation and transmittal of martial forms and techniques has been made incredibly easy. (But that certainly doesn't mean that the high level-masters will ever commit their most advanced knowledge to any recordable media. That simply will never happen because of the Chinese oral tradition.) But you are so right, Si-hing Garry, that the audio-visual reference materials for learning authentic kung fu, Tai Chi and other internal systems are more and more readily available--and in the case of some styles are in abundance--that yes, all you need to do is find a teacher to share his knowledge through this method properly.

(I can't put it any better than you.)

Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear

Shifu Terry,

Great website! You are a well prepared warrior. Persevere, I am certain you will prevail.

Thank you very much for your compliment and encouragement in my battle.

Edited by zen-bear

Shifu Terry,

Great website! You are a well prepared warrior. Persevere, I am certain you will prevail.

Thank you very much for your complement and your encouragement in that battle.

With the technology these days us teachers can produce some decent information for the public to a limit, of course higher level information at some time the student might want to visit the teacher or correspond more deeper and become closer with the teacher if they truly want to persue this knowledge. The problem is with all this online courses you cannot control the information once given out to the persons and they duplicate it and pdf shit and all your years of hard training is gone in an instant to some wannabe that think he can then open up a school without even asking you or grading from you. Or just take the information and add it to there own art and dilute it.

Just a thought...have your good and bad....cant have it all i guess!!!

Sifu Garry

Shifu Garry,

We are all family brothers and sisters in the Doo family healing arts and the FP qigong. I have read this entire thread I saw how Shifu Terry embraced you. This is good and GM Doo Wai is pleased.

However, it is absurd for you to say to a FP practitioner that he or she is not going to get a "true understanding" of a qigong meditation from watching "just a copy of the grandmaster."

Any qigong meditation demonstrated by GM Doo Wai that is released to the PUBLIC is PRICELESS and is NEVER incomplete.

It seems that you are failed to embrace some of our other brothers and sisters in the family art. I hope this is not true. The Rizzo brothers' FP qigong is just as superior and even more they have studied the longest with GM Doo Wai. They teach just as GM Doo Wai has taught all of us with no deviations.

As a 20 year closed-door practitioner of the Doo Family healing arts plus the gung fu, I would encourage all our qigong practitioners and family members to get as many FP qigong meditations as possible from our legitimate sources.

I have a high regard for all the FP masters and practitioners who want to share the Doo Family martial and healing arts. There are some of us who do not care to teach for a host of reasons.

By the way, I have never met you Shifu Garry, Shifu Terry, Shifu Joel Rizzo or his brother Shi Gung Thomas Rizzo. I have had many discussions over the years with Grandmaster Doo Wai regarding all of you. We are all family to him. I feel the same.

Grandmaster Doo Wai is delighted to see that the public is benefiting from his family healing arts and he proud of all of you.

Hello Sillum,

Again,thanks for the compliment today regarding my Kung Fu Panda case.

I wanted to come back to this message you sent to Sifu Garry because I want to express some slight disagreement with a couple of sweeping generalizations you made:

However, it is absurd for you to say to a FP practitioner that he or she is not going to get a "true understanding" of a qigong meditation from watching "just a copy of the grandmaster."

I think Sifu Garry was simply stating an obvious fact that practicing to a video of GM Doo Wai performing an advanced Flying Phoenix mediation out of the context of learning the system Flying Phoenix system from its foundations upward is not that productive for a beginner. On the other hand, of course, anyone with advanced level in any Chinese internal system would benefit from GM Doo Wai demonstrating almost anything on visual media. "WTM" put it nicely when he said that the basic foundation of FP Qigong system presented in my DVD series will enable one to benefit from GM Doo Wai's more advanced performances on video.

Any qigong meditation demonstrated by GM Doo Wai that is released to the PUBLIC is PRICELESS and is NEVER incomplete.

While I agree with your high appraisal of "any qigong meditation demo'd by GM Doo Wai, and appreciate your worshipful attitude towards the GM, it's just not true (by common sense) that any Qigong footage of GM Doo Wai that is released "is NEVER incomplete." I don't understand why there's an argument here. Or what the point of this statement is that doesn't follow common sense.

As GM's first student in Los Angeles who assembled (by invitation) his cadre of L.A. students in the 1990's, and as a professional filmmaker and video producer, I am pretty certain that I have videotaped more hours of kung-fu and qigong performance by GM Doo Wai--and also more hours of his teaching and healing footage--than any of his students over the past 50 years. I recorded onto video his performance of the entire Kung Fu system called "Eight Sections of Energy Combined" (Bat Dim Gum) which he taught me and two other classmates in the early 90's.

As I think I explained earlier on this thread when I first met Sifu Hearfield, BDG is NOT part of his BFP Family System but a rare system that the GM acquired from a monk at a Buddhist temple in Macao. [And he believes that due to its particular alchemic "flavor", BDG probably comes from Wudangshan or is a derivative of a Wudang art (even though it's been preserved in a southern Buddhist temple).] This system consists of two preparatory forms (one martial and one yogic), eight (8) complex kung-fu forms ranging from 100 to 200 postures each (the "Eight Sections"), five intensive meditations, a very long meditation done in a seated 'dragon drop' position, maybe a few more items I forgot, and a myriad of martial applications based on the forms' techniques and neigung.

I also video-recorded two classmates(Jeff Roth and Tino Baguio) and myself practicing the 48 exercises of "10,000 Buddhas Meditations" immediately after the GM taught the system to us. Each meditation has its own unique breath control sequence--of a different formulation and effect than the Flying Phoenix breath controls.

Now, if I were to publish a video clip of GM Doo Wai performing one meditation from either of these systems (BDG or 10,000 Buddhas), it can ONLY BE INCOMPLETE relative to the entirety of each respective system. And it would actually be irresponsible of me to publish such material out of context of systematically teaching the entire system because it wouldn't do anybody any good. Plus, such fragments from these particular systems are dangerous when practiced out of context.

The fact is, due to the potency of these two "martial qigong" systems, they will never be published on video for mass consumption, but only taught to my students face-to-face.

All this is to say: "let's let reason prevail" and pull-back on sweeping generalizations.

As for my embracing Sifu Garry Hearfield: It was easy, natural and spontaneous do so--even though we've not met in person yet--because we have so much in common that fosters trust and respect:

(A) He was already a Sifu in Yau Kang Mun and Bak Mei before he started to learn from GM Doo Wai. I was a Sifu teaching Tao Tan Pai and Sil Lum 5 Animal Kung Fu systems (in addition to Yang Tai Chi Chuan and Liu He Ba Fa) before I met GM Doo Wai. Sifu Garry also practices a system similar to Liu He Ba Fa (his Primordial Chaos art). Thus we are both at a level in martial arts where we can compare notes on our respective experience with the GM and greatly benefit from it--even though Sifu Garry has much more Bok Fu Pai Kung Fu knowledge than I do because that was not my concentration when I trained with the GM.

(B ) Sifu Hearfield was initiated into Taoism when he was 22 years old by his Sifu. I was ordained and initiated into Taoism by grandmaster Share K. Lew in 1983 when I wa 29. So we have the bond as fellow Taoists.

( C) Finally and most importantly, Sifu Garry Hearfield is the only student that GM Doo Wai on his personal Myspace site told his followers and the viewing public to support.

Thus, besides the advanced students that GM Doo Wai brought to Los Angeles to train me in the 90's, I was especially open and eager to get acquainted with Sifu Hearfield. As it has turned out, I am most grateful to GM Doo Wai's edict on his site because Sifu Garry Hearfield embodies wuxia (武侠 ) to the fullest and I implicitly trust him 100%.

As for recognizing other students of Grandmaster Doo Wai, I have not crossed paths with any of them since I last saw the GM--not even the classmates that I had invited to learn from the GM in 1990's--nor have I met any of GM's other students on this wonderful blogsite--except of course for Sifu Garry...and now you. I was glad to see your recent posting and would like to get acquainted because of your 20 years of closed-door training with GM Doo Wai, and because you were also speaking for him in your post. If you care to, please identify yourself (through back-channel Private Message, if you prefer) so that we can commune further and share experiences with GM Doo Wai's most valuable and profound arts.

Best Regards,

Terry Dunn

P.S. One of the great benefits of following the path of Kung-Fu is learning discernment and seeing directly into people's natures--by observing how they react to the knowledge that they are given. And one comes to see human nature and its tendencies as clearly Gasan saw it:

The poor student utilizes his teacher's influence.

The mediocre student admires his teacher's kindness.

The superior student grows strong under his teacher's teachings.

Edited by zen-bear

blink.gif

Whats the names of the 17th level just FP as some have names for the meditations?

Sifu Garry

The names are repetitive. They have no meaning.