Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

Is it ok to listen to meditation music whilst doing supine Monk Holds Pearl, are headphones ok???

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Several years ago I asked the same question about music. Sifu Terry answered that when new to FP, we should wait 6 months before adding music. I suspect that headphones are not appropriate. 

Edited by tao stillness
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 7/10/2024 at 12:24 PM, zen-bear said:

Hello Eternal Student,

Thank you for your coming service to our country.  My father was a veteran of WW2 and the Korean War and a major cog in military intelligence in both wars for the Allies--and a huge Intelligence Operative--i.e. a spymaster--throughout all 4 years of the Korean War.  (that's how I came to be born in Mercy Army Hospital on the island of Okinawa in 1954.)   But I didn't have a "good" war to go to in 1972 (the Vietnam War was winding down) when I finished high school and I was No. 342 in the draft that year.  So I went to college.  And from college days onward, my militant enthusiasm and desire to serve in the military morphed into preserving 3 ancient Taoist monastic systems of martial and healing arts;  training law enforcement and training a contractor who trains U.S. Special Forces operators (at a private training center).

I’m wondering if there are any FPCK mediations in particular that will benefit that sort of training more than others, as I am aware each meditation can be very different in terms the effects on the body. 

Yes, for strength and fitness, do a lot of Bending the Bows--up to 18 repetitions in each sessions, if you have the time.

As I just stated above:

• PLUS:  Always do Bending the Bows to some degree each week.  And beginners should NOT go on to Wind Above Clouds, Wind Through Treetops, Moonbeam and the Long Form, until you've done Bending the Bows in full set of 18 repetitions at least once a week for 2 months.  First things first.  And Bending the Bows is an essential First Thing!

If you've learned Moonbeam and the capstone Long Form meditation, do those as often as you can.  Do the Long Form for strong immunity and restoration.   BUT Remember:  The FPCK system is a purely healing Qigong and works by relaxation soft and loose.

Except for Bending the Bows, don't think that FPCK will toughen you up (rock-up) to fuel you during intense physical activity and any type of combat.  The FP Healing Qi is purely healing and restorative.  The rest of the Bok Fu Pai system. about 95% outside of FP Qigong is all Kung Fu subsystems designed for killing.  My classmate Garry Hearfield in Australia specializes in more of the Bok Fu Pai Kung Fu styles than I do.  He might have some practices that you can learn quickly and take with you into Basic Training.  Contact him at:   

<[email protected]>

Or contact through his threads on Daobums:    https://www.thedaobums.com/profile/55645-warrior-body-buddha-mind/content/

Recall in past postings I told the anecdote that after one of early FP workshops (which I gave in St. Paul, MN in 1997, the group asked me for a demo of Qi or geng at a distance.  But when I tried to demonstrate the martial energy of 8 Sections Combined Kung Fu (Bat Din Gum), I fell flat like a lead balloon because I was the FP Healing Qi in me was so strong and abundant from teaching the workshop, and I didn't know then how to instantly switch over from the FP's parasympathetic, restoration mode and into to the martial mode--outside of a real fight or flight situation.  (In a real fight-or flight situation, the martial energy will instantly manifest if one has trained in kung fu).  Let this anecdote serve as evidence that FP Healing Qi is ALL HEALING and cannot be used for martial purposes.  It cannot be moved with any type of militant intent.  (I was finally able to do the demonstration of moving a hanging piece of cotton at a distance--but I had to first do a martial qigong exercise for about minute.)

Bending the Bows is an ingenious Qigong exercise that does a superb job of building integrated strength and perfecting Qi flow throughout the body.   When I learned BTB in 1991, I had been doing Shaolin and Tao Tan Pai Kung Fu for 17 and 15 years, respectively, and Tai Chi for 11 years.  The first week I did it, everything in my Nei Kung and Tai Chi changed.  I felt energy connections made everywhere in my body.  My Tai Chi form became more effortless, and my Tui-Shou became instantaneous, meaning, I instinctively knew how to fa-jing.

Best of luck and stay safe in your military service, E.S.

Plus:  "Get Some!"

Sifu Terry

https://www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

terencedunn.substack.com

I’m sure your father was a great man, big salute to his service in one of the most pivotal wars of all time. 

The greatest generation!

Yes sir, when I was learning the first five meditations I did 18 repetitions of Bending the Bows to get the maximum benefits of the meditation. 

To be honest, I haven’t done it in a few weeks. I’ll reincorporate Bending the Bows into my routine with 18 reps. 

I probably won’t have a quiet environment to practice FPCK at Basic, so I want to do as much conditioning as I can before I ship out. 

I am familiar with Sifu G! We’ve never officially met, but I am subscribed to his channel on YouTube. He posts content from a variety of Kung fu systems regularly. I know he’s based in Australia, so thank you for the link to his classes. 

I’m also subbed to the White Tiger School (based in NY?) but I’m unsure if it is the official channel…

And yes, I’ll respect FPCK and will not try to use it for martial purposes. 

I appreciate your wisdom and insight as always, Sifu 🙏

Ha- I always try to get some. The operative word being “try” 😋

Edited by EternalStudent
  • Like 2

On 8/3/2024 at 5:44 AM, EternalStudent said:

I’m also subbed to the White Tiger School (based in NY?) but I’m unsure if it is the official channel…

There's no official Bok Fu Pai presence in NY as far as I know (other than me, as I presently live in New Paltz in upstate NY.  So be careful of anyone claiming to be Ehrmei Mtn. Bok Fu Pai who isn't directly certified by GM Doo Wai.

On 8/3/2024 at 5:44 AM, EternalStudent said:

And yes, I’ll respect FPCK and will not try to use it for martial purposes. 

Even if you wanted to, you wouldn't be able to use the FPCK for martial purposes.  FPCK is self-regulating:  it won't allow anyone to use the FP Healing Qi with any militant intent.  I just doesn't work that way.
Plus, as several FP practitioners and I have reported, the FP Healing Qi has an intelligence of its own.  It only heals and restores.

Great that you're connected with Sifu Garry Hearfield.  He can help you with the full spectrum Bok Fu Pai martial trainings.

Best,

Sifu Terry

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I have Bill Helms TTP 31 exercises. Can someone tell me which 5 exercises from the 31 is the short form power yoga? 

Edited by StyxNStone

2 hours ago, -ꦥꦏ꧀ ꦱꦠꦿꦶꦪꦺꦴ- said:

Exercises 1-4 followed by 18

Awesome thanks 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tao stillness said:

Be prepared to spend a really long time doing exercise number one. Set of 8 repetitions to be done 3 times. 

Oh is it 3 times? I read one of Terrys post on another topic, he said 4 sets of 8. Should take about 36 min to complete circling palm. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/5/2024 at 9:17 AM, tao stillness said:

Be prepared to spend a really long time doing exercise number one. Set of 8 repetitions to be done 3 times. 

But not quite right, Tao Stillness.  

The traditional / orthodox practice of Circling Palms is 4 sets of 8 reps.  4 sets!

On 8/5/2024 at 4:19 PM, StyxNStone said:

Oh is it 3 times? I read one of Terrys post on another topic, he said 4 sets of 8. Should take about 36 min to complete circling palm. 

Repeat:   The traditional/orthodox practice of Circling Palms is 4 sets of 8 reps.  4 sets.

Then follow with exercises #2, 3, 4 and then #18.

This "8 Excerpts" video shows TTP-31 Meditations 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 10, 11, and 19.  Plus most of the TTP Cane Form at the end.

So let's get busy! 

Then you may be ready for the upcoming 3-day, 14-hour  TTP-31 Basic Meditations Workshop on August 16 to 18, in which I will also teach a next level Nei Kung called the 11 Shen Exercises, which requires good horse stances.

Details here:      https://open.substack.com/pub/terencedunn/p/taoist-elixir-method-tao-tan-pai-0f4?r=5i7g9&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

*** Tao Tan Pai is an equally vast and a much older Taoist monastic tradition that Ehrmei Mtn Bok Fu Pai (and FP Qigong)--by about 700 years.  TTP is complete, profound, powerful and transformative in and of itself.  But, as I discovered in 2013 when I started teaching both systems in acupuncture college courses at the same time, I proved to myself beyond a shadow of a doubt--and then subsquently to dozens of my students who all confirmed that that TTP-31 Meditations and, in fact, the entire Tao Tan Pai tradition do  indeed serve as a  foundational catalyst and "accelerant"  that enhances and prolongs the healing and restorative effects of FP Qigong.  That's because the TTP-31 is so extremely shen-driven, while FP Qigong and all the Bok Fu Pai internal arts are so  shen-passively-balancing.  (No, I will not further define this last adjective phrase that I just coined;   it's for y'all to experience!)

Sifu Terry

P.S.  Alongside my FP Qigong Book still in the computer, is a forthcoming book on the TTP-31.

terencedunn.substack.com

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, zen-bear said:

Close. But not quite.  

The traditional / orthodox practice of Circling Palms is 4 sets of 8 reps.  4 sets!

Repeat:   The traditional/orthodox practice of Circling Palms is 4 sets of 8 reps.  4 sets.

Then follow with exercises #2, 3, 4 and then #18.

This "8 Excerpts" video shows TTP-31 Meditations 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 10, 11, and 19.  Plus most of the TTP Cane Form at the end.

So let's get busy! 

Then you may be ready for the upcoming 3-day, 14-hour  TTP-31 Basic Meditations Workshop on August 16 to 18, in which I will also teach a next level Nei Kung called the 11 Shen Exercises, which requires good horse stances.

Details here:      https://terencedunn.substack.com/publish/posts/detail/146983642/share-center?alreadyPublished=true

*** Tao Tan Pai is an equally vast and a much older Taoist monastic tradition that Ehrmei Mtn Bok Fu Pai (and FP Qigong)--by about 700 years.  TTP is complete, profound, powerful and transformative in and of itself.  But, as I discovered in 2013 when I started teaching both systems in acupuncture college courses at the same time, I proved to myself beyond a shadow of a doubt that that TTP-31 Meditations and the entire Tao Tan Pai tradition serves as a fabulous foundational catalyst that enhances and prolongs the healing and restorative effects of FP Qigong.  That's because the TTP-31 is so extremely shen-driven, while FP Qigong and all the Bok Fu Pai internal arts are so  shen-passively-balancing.  (No, I will not further define this last adjective phrase that I just coined;   it's for y'all to experience!)

Sifu Terry

P.S.  Alongside my FP Qigong Book still in the computer, is a forthcoming book on the TTP-31.

terencedunn.substack.com

Got it, thanks for clarifying. 

• Like 1

Hi one more thing, I know that we are supposed to move as slow as possible for circling palms, so I assume that connecting the breath with the movement is not needed for that. Does that also apply to the 4 other exercises. Or do we connect our breath and move at the speed at which it takes to breath in and out for the other exercises? 

• Like 1

As I recall, there was no instruction to move as slow as possible during circling palms. Moving as slow as a shifting sand dune is for Flying Phoenix movements. Circling Palms is coordinated with the breath. If you move too slowly during circling palms, you would be out of breath before your arms reached the end point during each repetition. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, StyxNStone said:

Sifu Terry

Terry quick question regarding these two books, will they be theory books or instructional also..

Thanks 🙏 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, tao stillness said:

As I recall, there was no instruction to move as slow as possible during circling palms. Moving as slow as a shifting sand dune is for Flying Phoenix movements. Circling Palms is coordinated with the breath. If you move too slowly during circling palms, you would be out of breath before your arms reached the end point during each repetition. 

From what I’ve read it takes 80 seconds to complete 1 repetition. Here’s what Terry said in one of his posts: “And the all-important first exercise, Circling Palms, is traditionally done in four sets of 8 repetitions.  Each repetition is done at an ideal rate of 80 seconds each.  That's 640 seconds or 8 minutes per set.  and with a minute break between the four sets, that comes to 36 minutes just to complete Circling Palms properly!!!” Heres the link to that post: 

Edited by StyxNStone
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

This is my long overdue review of Sifu Terry’s Flying Phoenix workshop on 7/19-21.

First, a bit of background - I've been training in FP for the last year and Tao Tan Pai since April. Previously I'd attended 2 workshops in person - Tao Tan Pai in April and Flying Phoenix in May.

I can say that this workshop was absolutely amazing. Sifu Terry once again acted as a fountain of knowledge on every possible subject. He gave us each detailed form corrections on all FP exercises, which really enhanced the effects.

This was also the first time I truly felt the catalyzing effects of Tao Tan Pai on Flying Phoenix! Right after doing the Short Form Power Yoga, we moved onto Flying Phoenix, and I felt like I was immediately propelled into a trance-like state where my consciousness was bathed in the FP energy. I can only describe the experience as profoundly ethereal.

Later, we watched various footage of GM Doo Wai, some of Sifu Terry's old kung fu demonstrations, and made a foray into other arts like 10,000 Buddhas and 8 Sections of Energy, which was an awesome treat.

Sifu Terry also provided us with an arsenal powerful warmups from tai chi/bagua, Qing Dynasty imperial stretches, and various kung fu forms like Shaolin Five Animals, which helped further supplement our qigong practice -- in fact, each warmup exercise felt like a complete qigong exercise in its own right, with its own energizing and aligning effects. We also got a crash course on using the I Ching, which was very helpful and enlightening.

I can testify that I felt packed to the brim with newfound qigong knowledge, and this workshop took my practice to the next level!

Alex

Edited by daobro
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Mid-Back-Pain-and-Chiropractic-250x300.j

Hello Sifu terry ,

I m getting upper back pain if I do fpck .i have attached the picture and pain may is just  above from the red circle  that picture. if I stop doing fpck within few days my upper back pain goes away completely. i suspect it's due to holding the raising hand and holding the palm . It's a shooting pain in the upper back middle/centre . So not able to continue the practice regularly ..i m Stoping and starting.. loosing my discipline .what should I do to overcome this . 

Edited by APK

On 8/10/2024 at 11:54 AM, APK said:

Mid-Back-Pain-and-Chiropractic-250x300.j

Hello Sifu terry ,

I m getting upper back pain if I do fpck .i have attached the picture and pain may is just  above from the red circle  that picture. if I stop doing fpck within few days my upper back pain goes away completely. i suspect it's due to holding the raising hand and holding the palm . It's a shooting pain in the upper back middle/centre . So not able to continue the practice regularly ..i m Stoping and starting.. loosing my discipline .what should I do to overcome this . 

Hi APK,

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing specific back pain when  you do FPCK. 

I reviewed our PM correspondence here and know that you've suffered a variety of pains

Specific Questions:

a.)  I know that you've been practicing FPCK since about mid-June when you received the DVDs in India.
Exactly how far into the DVD series have you progressed as of today?

b. )  What does your "regular" FPCK practice presently consist of?   (You had mentioned 1 standing + 1 seated med. in the past)

c.)   What other, if any, holistic movement arts do you practice?  (--e.g., Yoga, Tai Chi, Kung fu, other Qigong systems, etc.) [I know you said you do fast-walking and other aerobic exercise in your past PM's]

d.)   With which specific FP exercise--or after what sequence of FP exercises--  does the pain start?  Try to identify exactly when and with what FP Meds. the pain sets on.
(**I am assuming that this pain sets on while you're doing the FP Standing Meditations.)

I can give you only general advice through correspondence here.  To fully address your presenting problem--that specific pain, I suggest doing a private online session with me, or doing an in-person consultation if you're ever in the U.S.A.  Contact me via PM or email [email protected] if you want to do a private consultation.

Regards,

Sifu Terry

terencedunn.substack.com

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 8/6/2024 at 1:42 AM, StyxNStone said:

From what I’ve read it takes 80 seconds to complete 1 repetition. Here’s what Terry said in one of his posts: “And the all-important first exercise, Circling Palms, is traditionally done in four sets of 8 repetitions.  Each repetition is done at an ideal rate of 80 seconds each.  That's 640 seconds or 8 minutes per set.  and with a minute break between the four sets, that comes to 36 minutes just to complete Circling Palms properly!!!” Heres the link to that post: 

To StyxNStone, mrtiger, and others interested in Tao Tan Pai Circling Palms and the TTP-31 series:

Here's what I'm quoted as saying:   "Circling Palms, is traditionally done in four sets of 8 repetitions.  Each repetition is done at an ideal rate of 80 seconds each.  That's 640 seconds or 8 minutes per set.  and with a minute break between the four sets, that comes to 36 minutes just to complete Circling Palms properly!!!”

NOTE that I said "ideal rate."

**Please understand that this 80 seconds per round of Circling Palms is the  highly advanced practice level that one has  to gradually build up to over many months or years.  20 seconds for each inhalation and each exhalation (which occurs twice with each round of Circing Palms--thus 80 seconds per round), is the high water mark in TTP-31 practrice.  To slow down one's breathing (and increase-stretch  one's lung capacity [tidal volume]) to 20 seconds on each inhalation and each exhalation is almost peak performance in Tao Tan Pai.  Unless you have a rare deepest breathing gene or have been a life-long long-distance running with tremendously powerful and efficient respiratory function, the vast majority of beginners--especiallty those with no kung fu experience-- should work to establish their Circling Palms practice at approx.10 seconds (count "10 potatoes") on each inhalation and on each exhalation.  So that each round of Circling Palms (with (a)  the slow extension of the bent right arm towards the right normal, followed by (b)  a 180º sweep of the right arm to point down the left normal, followed by (c)   slow extenstion of the bent left arm towards the left normal, then followed by (d)  the 180º sweep of the left arm to poing down the right normal...takes a total of 40 seconds.

40 seconds per round is very reachable and doable speed for most beginners.  So this is the starting benchmark.

Practicing day in and day out, slowing increasing each 10 second sweep (exhalation) up steadily over time to 20 seconds per sweep and gradually increasing each inhalation from 10 seconds  up to 20 seconds is real QIGONG CONDITIONING.  AND THIS IS TO BE DONE WITHOUT STRAIN OR OBSESSION--FOR BEST RESULTS!!
It doesn't happen over night.  Don't expect to be able to each round of Cricling Palms at a speed of 80 seconds!!! 

That's unrealistic--unless you were born with Superman's pulmonary, diaphragmatic, and abdominal strength!!

I think it may be time to start a separate thread on Tao Tan Pai Nei Kung.  Thanks for everyone's interest in the TTP-31 series.

Sifu Terry

terencedunn.substack.com

180º sweep of the extended arm from one side to another.   Each repetition of Circling Palms involves (starting with the right arm, for example):  (1)  inhaling as one extends the bent arm down the right normal, followed by (2)  exhaling as one sweeps the right arm 180º to point down the left normal:   (3)   inhaling as one slowly extends the bent left arm down the left normal;  (4)   exhaling as one sweeps the left arm 180º to point down the right normal.

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, zen-bear said:

I think it may be time to start a separate thread on Tao Tan Pai Nei Kung.  Thanks for everyone's interest in the TTP-31 series.

I think this is a good idea! I can help you get it started if you like

Edited by -ꦥꦏ꧀ ꦱꦠꦿꦶꦪꦺꦴ-
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, zen-bear said:

If you are open to suggestions from the cheap seats: How about a sub-forum for Flying Phoenix and TTP?

• Like 1

On 8/25/2024 at 5:40 AM, -ꦥꦏ꧀ ꦱꦠꦿꦶꦪꦺꦴ- said:

I think this is a good idea! I can help you get it started if you like

I would greatly appreciate your help in starting such a thread.

But first I need to decide whether to do a thread just on the Tao Tan Pai 31 Meditations or a more general thread about the entire Tao Tan Pai tradition, which is vast.  Hmm.  First I'm going to check DB's to see if there have been any previous discussion--however long or short--on Tao Tan Pai, Taoist Elixir Method Kung Fu and Nei Kung.

• Like 2

On 8/25/2024 at 3:35 PM, EFreethought said:

If you are open to suggestions from the cheap seats: How about a sub-forum for Flying Phoenix and TTP?

Hi EFreethought,

I'm open to starting a sub-forum for discussion the synergies of practicing TTP and then FP Qigong some time down the road--but not in the near term.   First, I think we need to get a TTP-31 discussion thread going.  There just aren't that many practitioners yet of both TTP-31 and FP Qigong--outside of a handful workshop students that I've taught since 2017 in the Berkshires of western Mass., and about 8 people who have taken my more recent workshops and weekly classes (combining TTP + FPCK) via Zoom...to support such a subforum.

Also, I'm entering into an extremely busy and productive phase of my life--with book-writing,  more DVD production, and working in academia in January.  Thus I must be very judicious in committing additional time to new forum(s) on Daobums involving my specialties.

Best,

Sifu Terry

• Like 2