surfingbudda

Taoism Vs Buddhism

Like I said... volume. I post more posts than any other Taoist challenging Buddhist in threads like this.

No, not volume. You're copping out. It's your behavior, in which the frequency, manner and content of your posts can only be characterized as xeno has: boorish. I'm serious, it's not just the volume. But why post in such volume anyway? It's overbearing, Vaj, and in general you come across that way too. Including invading unrelated topics with Buddhism, which you acknowledged only once and said you wouldn't do anymore, so you do have some awareness of what you are doing. Seriously, I looked at my stuff and called a truce and laid off of you, can you examine your own behavior objectively to see if you behave "boorishly" here?

I can think of at least ten members who you have fought with whom I have not seen fight with anyone else. In fact, whenever we have these multi-page splayed rows, you're always the central character. I don't know why you have to defend yourself so over-vigorously always and everywhere. The inability to let something, anything pass by speaks much more to character than some weak slight.

I repeat: More is less and less is more.

Edited by TheSongsofDistantEarth

Of course I get insulted left and right, but as soon as I do it, I get a negative. I would say that you people here are deeply biased.

It's not very good to have a moderator that's biased.

Eh... yeah maybe. :P But to have a moderator go around clicking negative on all your posts until you have a bad reputation mark on your profile is really over the top! WOW!!

Hold up right there my friend. I am not the one clicking on the rep buttons ;) I find it offensive that you think I would. So please reconsider your thoughts on this.

:D

I don't understand why people do this. Why people are so threatened by someone who doesn't agree with them?

You don't scare me Vaj., and we all know that you and I disagree with each other quite often. Hehehe.

Of course I get insulted left and right, but as soon as I do it, I get a negative. I would say that you people here are deeply biased.

Most all of us are deeply biased. That's life.

You are the whipping post when it comes to discussions regarding Buddhism vs. Taoism. Get used to it and accept your negative points like a man. :ph34r:

It's not very good to have a moderator that's biased.

Don't allow your illusions to distort reality. I understand why you said that but I suggest that you are wrong here.

Hold up right there my friend. I am not the one clicking on the rep buttons ;) I find it offensive that you think I would. So please reconsider your thoughts on this.

Who makes the evaluations?

Who makes the evaluations?

At the moment any registered user can click + or - on the rep buttons. So the "evaluation" is open to all members. Moderators have no control over it at all and, after seeing the wild accusation made above, I will suggest to the other mods that perhaps we should make it a policy to disqualify ourselves from using the rep buttons at all. Is this what you were asking?

• Like 2

At the moment any registered user can click + or - on the rep buttons. So the "evaluation" is open to all members. Moderators have no control over it at all and, after seeing the wild accusation made above, I will suggest to the other mods that perhaps we should make it a policy to disqualify ourselves from using the rep buttons at all. Is this what you were asking?

Okay Stig, I just gave you a point in order to verify what I was about to say. We members can give only one positive or negative point to any one post. I am sure that the moderators are equally restricted. Therefore, if any member gets two negative or positive points to a given post it is a result of two different members doing the clicking.

But yes, I think it would be proper for all moderators to deny themselves the reputation function. That would eliminate any suggestions of moderator bias.

• Like 1

It's just interesting that you mentioned it, then I look and it went from 2 to 33 in a very short period of time.

But, whatever... I don't really care.

Ciao...

• Like 3

You don't scare me Vaj., and we all know that you and I disagree with each other quite often. Hehehe.

Yes, I wish more people could be as even minded as you when it comes to debating differing points of view. I think it's subjective.

Anyway... your even minded speaks more to me of the depth of your relaxed repose than people who take things so personally and turn to personal attacks rather than just saying, "fine, we disagree... so what?" :lol:

• Like 5

Most all of us are deeply biased. That's life.

You are the whipping post when it comes to discussions regarding Buddhism vs. Taoism. Get used to it and accept your negative points like a man. :ph34r:

Yes, I'm really not caring too much. I'm having a wonderful night in fact, watched "The Last Airbender" with my beautiful... I mean... "HOT" new roommate and we got into talking spirituality and it was really fulfilling. Not a single time did I even think of my negative rating on here. So, be it!

Don't allow your illusions to distort reality. I understand why you said that but I suggest that you are wrong here.

Yes, I could very well be. I'll concede to the possibility that me being wrong might be closer to the fact of the matter.

• Like 5

Yes, I wish more people could be as even minded as you when it comes to debating differing points of view. I think it's subjective.

Anyway... your even minded speaks more to me of the depth of your relaxed repose than people who take things so personally and turn to personal attacks rather than just saying, "fine, we disagree... so what?" :lol:

Thanks for the hug.

Yeah, any discussion will be destroyed whenever the discussion causes one to become personally insulted by a generalised comment. So we feel "we" have been attacked and we need to counter-attack.

• Like 1

... watched "The Last Airbender" with my beautiful... I mean... "HOT" new roommate ...

Now you are talking about reality!

• Like 1

So is this thread dead?

I believe it can be reincarnated. Why the fuck not? ^_^

I see them as interdependent yet empty of any inherent self. I don't read Laozi anymore and don't much care. [...] I interpret everything through Buddhas teaching.

Looking at and interpreting everything through a prism of Buddhist symbolism - or in other words, constantly labeling any and every experience according to some 2,500 year old dead Indian's wordplay - is a clever thing to be doing with your mind.

Making these connections between your experiences and his words is a skill which you have clearly invested a lot of time and energy in perfecting.

This is good.

And also unnecessary.

So is this thread dead?

Well put. Always puzzles me why Buddhists and Taoist can trade personal insults when to do so is contrary to the spirit of both systems.

Looking at and interpreting everything through a prism of Buddhist symbolism - or in other words, constantly labeling any and every experience according to some 2,500 year old dead Indian's wordplay - is a clever thing to be doing with your mind.

Making these connections between your experiences and his words is a skill which you have clearly invested a lot of time and energy in perfecting.

This is good.

And also unnecessary.

Good and unnecessary! Wow - yes.

I don't think it matters how old the philosophical view is ... in fact I'm not sure there are any new ones really. If I was a Buddhist then I would resolutely apply the view in the way Vaj does - because that's what you are supposed to do. Buddha said something along the lines that we should test all the ideas to destruction. So its probably good practice to put it out there and see what challenges come up, see how the View stands up against them.

A Taoist sees all judgments as relative positions in a process of change. Rather like a phenomenologist puts everything in parenthesis so being right is just 'right' ... so the word 'right' only has relative meaning, as does being 'wrong'. So even if it appears that Vaj has won the day with his analysis ... he has only 'won' ... whatever that means. In other words he has pinned himself on a fixed view which he then has to live with. While a Taoist would probably refute the fixed view because as something spoken it is not the true/constant/eternal it is just a relative expression of 'the truth' and not the truth itself which is the Tao. So let him have the victory if that's what he wants ... its no skin off a Taoists nose.

Funnily enough Buddhist mind-training says more or less the same. Give victory to the other ... hold those who insult you as precious teachers ... because that's how you really learn from life.

To the extent that we don't practice these ideas properly on here is an indicator that we all have a lot to learn.

If saying this makes me more British and pompous then so be it.

:lol::angry::wacko::lol:;)

• Like 2

I have nothing new to add at the moment. Still reading the posts though.

Yeah, you Brits can be pompous brickheads at times. Hehehe. (Sorry, couldn't resist that.)

I remember back to shortly after I joined the forum that I once identified myself as a Taoist/Nietzschian/Atheistic/Realist.

I love my Taoist Philosophy!!!! But I must remain true to myself - I must be what "I" am.

I argued with Vaj the last time the Buddhist/Taoist discussion took place. I just didn't feel like doing the same thing all over again.

I believe that to remain spiritually dogmatic is a death sentence. I refuse to lock myself into any belief system. This allows for spontaneity, both internal and external.

Anyhow, Buddhist are okay, they are just, well, different, you know?

What's that word? Tolerance?

I have nothing new to add at the moment. Still reading the posts though.

Yeah, you Brits can be pompous brickheads at times. Hehehe. (Sorry, couldn't resist that.)

Any more of this and I shall be releasing more oil into the Gulf and reforming the Spice Girls and sending them to your town.

• Like 1

Any more of this and I shall be releasing more oil into the Gulf and reforming the Spice Girls and sending them to your town.

Hehehe. Belly laughs.

So is this thread dead?

This is good.

And also unnecessary.

It's very necessary for a Buddhist who has taken the triple gem. Buddhism is a full on religion. If your a Buddhist, you are a follower of Buddhas teachings as well as all the Buddhas that have come after him. For me as a Vajrayana practitioner, that includes people like the Dalai Lama but more specifically my current Dzogchen Master. The Buddhas teachings are not 2,500 years old, they are alive today through so many wonderful masters and teachers of different current Buddhist lineages from around the world! I actually don't read much of Buddhas original teachings anymore as I find myself more into Dzogchen teachings these days and reading translations of works from reputable Dzogchen Masters of old and new. People in this century are still attaining the ever coveted Rainbow Body (Jalus) through the teachings of Dzogchen. So, that's that!

• Like 1

In other words he has pinned himself on a fixed view which he then has to live with.

But, Buddhas view is the viewless view. The idea of a constant eternal is a fixed view. So, I don't have a fixed view, I have a view empty of self and self support, thus dynamic. That is the point. It's neither eternalist, nor is it nihilistic. It's the middle way.

If saying this makes me more British and pompous then so be it.

:lol::angry::wacko::lol:;)

Yes it does... yes it does. :P:lol: :lol: :lol: You know I was joking when I said that... right?

• Like 1

Can you reform the spice girls into a do anything tag team of sluts? :wub:

Only then would I consider changing my opinion on British pomposity.

• Like 1

<continuing tangents>

I see more compassion in sending the Spice Girls to the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico and in releasing more oil into my furnace. Would save me a bundle this winter. :)

</continuing tangents>

Rainbow,

Get a wood burning stove and I'll send you the Spice Girls.

But, Buddhas view is the viewless view. The idea of a constant eternal is a fixed view. So, I don't have a fixed view, I have a view empty of self and self support, thus dynamic. That is the point. It's neither eternalist, nor is it nihilistic. It's the middle way.

Just because you define it like that don't mean it ain't fixed.

Yes it does... yes it does. :P:lol: :lol: :lol: You know I was joking when I said that... right?

Read this map and weep Yankee.

post-3061-12894213097_thumb.gif

British Empire ^^^^^

Only then would I consider changing my opinion on British pomposity.

Hey, I'm English and not at all pompous.

Why do you have this outdated notion of us as:

1. Drinking tea out of fine china with our little finger raised.

2. Commuting to work wearing a bowler hat, swinging an umbrella and reading the Financial Times.

3. All living in a place called London where we ride around on red buses past Big Ben all day. :lol: :lol:

hi everyone,

thanks for all the great responses. I found this from an article on dayan wild goose qigong and thought it would be beneficial to this thread. heres the site if anyone wants it, its a very good article on qigong, specifically dayan qigong, My link

Daoism also stresses actively living 'De' (virtue, integrity, morality) to attain cultivation of the Way, and 'Wu Wei', translates as "Non-action', meaning effortless doing, just as water seeks its lowest level and takes on the shape of the receptacle it fills. The concept is not to dominate, or compete, but to find harmony. Ultimately, Daoism is simply showing us how to follow nature, to be be moral, and to return to Nothing.

From Buddhism comes 'mindfulness', sincerity, compassion and perfecting the character. It concentrates more on the mind and heart. The goal is to attain Perfect, Complete Enlightenment, the perfect state of mind, free from craving, anger, ignorance, arrogance, and doubt; the very afflictions that lead to the endless cycle of rebirth and suffering - birth, sickness, old age and death. Buddha taught the Ten Good Conducts - Physical - No killing, no stealing, no sexual misconduct; Verbal - no lying, no abusive language, no bearing tales, and no seductive words; and Mental - no greed, no anger, and no ignorance. Buddhism teaches being respectful to parents, teachers and elders, and compassion with wisdom. Compassion is the antidote to hatred and aversion, wisdom counters ignorance, and non-attachment overcomes clinging and greed. Buddhism recognises that the mind is responsible for everything, and our destiny can be changed through good deeds.

Daoism and Buddhism, though coming from different sources with different approaches, are not incompatible or conflicting. As Daoism uses Yin and Yang to explain constant cyclic change, Buddhism discusses Impermanence - everything created to exist will expire - to help accept things the way they are, thereby avoiding delusion and finding peace. Buddhism teaches about 'Emptiness', and Daoism 'Nothing'. Daoism stresses balance, while Buddhism emphasises The Middle Way. By embracing the philosophies that lie behind the forms and methods the experience of practice becomes deepened, and will ultimately lead you to a higher level of health and spiritual attainment.

• Like 1