zerostao

What made YOU laugh today/tonight ?

Spotted by a friend in front of a little cafe in Germany.  Translation: "The more you weigh, the harder it is to kidnap you.  Protect yourself -- eat a cake!"

No photo description available.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/27/2024 at 9:41 AM, Taomeow said:

The Chinese version of the sign reads, "Mind your head."

452557366_8157498297639798_2314598240700668830_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_s1080x2048&_nc_cat=109&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=aa7b47&_nc_ohc=edyYQOdc7ksQ7kNvgHWcI9l&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=00_AYCkGPXLVi6_tbk51Fl2JauOCwWARpGrOOCnmcrjlQzlQA&oe=66AA0624

Hmmm .... close to 'indigenous pidgin '  if you take the ' ly' off ;

' careful - fall down !'  -    be careful or you will fall down .  Sign should say  'Dont bang ed '  :) 

I did that a  while back ; carrying something down the back garden , tripped on the hose , realized I was about to go for a face plant and my aikido training kicked in ( I stopped practicing it ages ago ) , I tucked in and let it happened and rolled out of it , I had no idea I was still capable  ... a careful falling down  :) 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nungali said:

Hmmm .... close to 'indigenous pidgin '  if you take the ' ly' off ;

' careful - fall down !'  -    be careful or you will fall down .  Sign should say  'Dont bang ed '  :) 

I did that a  while back ; carrying something down the back garden , tripped on the hose , realized I was about to go for a face plant and my aikido training kicked in ( I stopped practicing it ages ago ) , I tucked in and let it happened and rolled out of it , I had no idea I was still capable  ... a careful falling down  :) 

My taekwondo teacher also taught us to carefully fall down.  I have forgotten most of it, alas, except for one exercise where he would put a stack of mats on the floor and say, this is a rocky terrain, try not to hit the rocks with your face -- and then push you from the back so you fall face down on the "rocks."  Once you mastered it, he added some more mats to the stack -- "this is a glass coffee table, try not to cut your face to pieces falling on it face down."  It was very scary!  So scary I still remember the technique. :) 

• Like 1

I just saw these two items listed together : 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/29/2024 at 9:28 AM, Taomeow said:

My taekwondo teacher also taught us to carefully fall down.  I have forgotten most of it, alas, except for one exercise where he would put a stack of mats on the floor and say, this is a rocky terrain, try not to hit the rocks with your face -- and then push you from the back so you fall face down on the "rocks."  Once you mastered it, he added some more mats to the stack -- "this is a glass coffee table, try not to cut your face to pieces falling on it face down."  It was very scary!  So scary I still remember the technique. :) 

Here is some  NOT careful falling down

( dont worry , they are  South east Asian stunt men  .... dime a dozen ! )

( and this might surprise film buffs - or anyone that pays attention .... find the 'cuts' in this sequence - once the fight starts  .... fight scenes usually are a montage of multiple cuts lasting a few seconds  , shot over and over again until it seems 'right' then stitched together later )

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Nungali said:

Here is some  NOT careful falling down

( dont worry , they are  South east Asian stunt men  .... dime a dozen ! )

( and this might surprise film buffs - or anyone that pays attention .... find the 'cuts' in this sequence  .... fight scenes usually are a montage of multiple cuts lasting a few seconds  , shot over and over again until it seems 'right' then stitched together later )

Impressive.  

I have this bad habit of envisioning a spoof when I watch an over-the-top action scene, placing myself in the protagonist's shoes and fighting for something unexpected.  E.g. storming into a den of thugs and criminals, casually maiming and killing countless opponents on the way to the main honcho, and then screaming at him, "Where's my croissant?!"        

• Haha 3

Envision yourself in this role : during   the one shot of all that 'stair fight', without a cut or break , you are in it but you are the camera operator . Watch it again and imagine what you are having to do and where you would be and move about .

Oh yeah ... and you would be wearing one of these as well ;

image.png.52730ed245c7d646883799c83ce88983.png

and probably have to dodge bits of flying smashed pottery as well   :D 

It took 8 goes over 4 days to get this 4 min shot . The first cameraman had to be replaced .

( Maybe the first one got knocked over the balcony ?    :D  ) 

• Like 1

Filipino stunt men .  

Remeber; after a spate of cheap monster movies  then some glam movies and then monster glam movies   :D  

IE. 

image.png.ec968876e6f0f42ca6d40e309aa38ee3.png  image.png.55064e88c174cabf572fa10c39a30012.png  image.png.2076915ede68549f642ec9f1fd95377e.png

:)   .  They  went into a series of anti-Commie cold war el cheapo movies ; the theme was usually some undercover US ops or similar against some vaguely  sino-ruskie  villages somewhere in Asia threatening overlord interests . Due to US  and Philippines 'connection'  and cheap costs they made a lot of these movies there .  And used their stunt men .

I was watching an interview with a director that worked on them back then .  he had stopped a shot as he felt it was not realistic enough ; someone had smashed a bottle over someones head at a bar and 'not good enough , do it again .... and again .  No guys, look, I will show you how I want you to do it .... give me one of those  stunt bottles ."

Crew :   " A what ? "

Yes . They didnt know what a stunt bottle or fake glass was , they had been doing the 'real deal ' !

Same with Tony  Ja , originally, according to him :  " We used to watch Bruce Lee as kids and absolutely loved it , we spent hours training and trying to do the stuff he did , but we never realized about fakes or props or tricks  back then . "

- " Hey Tony !  I do flying kick , hit you in chest , knock you back and you land on table and smash it ?"

" Okay then ."

( I would not be surprised ;  once I watched some 'adult boys' here build a huge jump for their mx bikes, hit it at a crazy speed and see who could do the best smash . The winner came back from hospital with  a stitched up face and a goofy look on it . he became more pop with the girls after that .  :rolleyes:  ) 

On 03.08.2024 at 2:03 AM, Nungali said:

and this might surprise film buffs - or anyone that pays attention .... find the 'cuts' in this sequence - once the fight starts  .... fight scenes usually are a montage of multiple cuts lasting a few seconds  , shot over and over again until it seems 'right' then stitched together later

Wasn't this one shot? Or maybe its very cleverly cut, I don't know.

13 hours ago, Elysium said:

Wasn't this one shot? Or maybe its very cleverly cut, I don't know.

yes, as i said , a 4 min shot   and as i said    they are usually NOT like that .

One example , the opposite sort of  fight scene (and skill ) ; I watched Steven Segal in a fight scene , sword Vs sword . Its a dynamic energetic quick flashy piece of absolute shit !  There would not be  a shot longer than a second or two , a lot of cuts, close ups, angle changes .... basically 'bamboozling' the viewer . I slowed it right down and analyzed it , they are only doing one attack (dia joidan, straight cut down on top of head ) and one counter , a rising deflection , over and over again .

One cuts down, the other lifts their sword up, but handle first and angling the down pointing blade off to the side, so the other's blade coming down hits it and slides off to the side of your body , now his sword is  down and yours is up , so with your wrists , you rotate your sword so handle is not up but the blade is and then you cut down on him . His blade is down due to the fact he just cut down (and was  deflected ) so he lifts it up, but handle first, for the deflection of the blow thats coming, deflects it and cuts down and so on , both together  alternatively .... it a drill !   and a very basic one at that .   They are doing nothing more than a basic sword drill  (and even that is wrong , this technique is actually used for a  short sword to be able to move in against a longer one so you are in range for a counter , its a slow and unnecessary move against dia jodan , with a longer sword ,  you could easily shift to the side and take their wrist as they cut down and be out of range against a body cut yourself) .

Lights camera smoke and mirrors and close up of grimacing stars   and shots of no ore than 2 seconds faces   does not a good movie fight make !   Yet most viewers are 'satisfied'

• Like 1