Sign in to follow this  
Wayfarer64

What is the speed of the Sun?

The Earth is doing a lot more than rotating, although that is certainly the motion we notice most, because day follows night as a result. We also orbit the Sun once a year, giving us our seasons.

The circumference of the Earth's orbit is about 940 million kilometers, so if you divide that by the hours in a year you will get our orbital speed in kilometers per hour. We are also moving with the Sun around the center of our galaxy and moving with our galaxy as it drifts through intergalactic space!

The closer we are to the equator the faster we are moving in the earth's rotation. The speed of the earth's rotantion around the sun is around 87,000 +/- kph. But How fast is the sun moving? Any ideas out there?

I realize figuring our how fast our galaxy spins and travels through space is pretty hard to calculate, trying to measure it against other galaxies that are also moving through space...

So, the combined speed of all this movement is astronomical (pun intended)...It boggles my mind to think of these speeds, but reassures me that we are truly in a state of constant change...

Being here now means little when "here" is so fleeting as to be almost meaningless in a way...Mind is everything in the now.

Namaste- Pat

Here's some information - http://io.uwinnipeg.ca/~vincent/4500.6-001...lRelativity.htm

but there was a great folk song that also had it, let me do a quick google.

Found it :)

The Insignicance Song and it was on above site

Just remember that you're

standing on a planet that's

evolving and revolving at 900 miles an hour.

That's orbiting at 19 miles a second,

so it's reckoned,

a sun that is the source of all our power.

The sun and you and me, and all the stars we see

Are moving at a million miles a day

In an outer spiral arm, at 40,000 miles an hour,

of the galaxy we call the Milky Way.

Our Galaxy itself contains 100

billion stars

It's 100,000 light-years side to side,

It bulges in the middle, 16,000 light-years thick,

But out by us it's just 3,000 light-years wide.

We're 30,000 light-years from galactic central point

we go 'round every 200 million years

and our galaxy is only one

of millions and billions

In this amazing and expanding universe.

The universe itself

keeps expanding and expanding

in all directions

it can whizz as fast as it can go,

the speed of light, you know,

12 million miles a minute, and that's the fastest speed there is.

So remember when you are feeling

small and insecure

how amazingly unlikely is your birth

and pray that there's intelligent life

somewhere up in space,

because there's bugger all down here on Earth.

Michael

The Insignicance Song and it was on above site

"The Galaxy Song" (aka "universe song") by Monty Python - from their movie "The Meaning of Life", and here's the vid.

You's bums have made my day! This is much more fun -(& informative)- than I had hoped! Being here now just gets better and better when yr a bum!

I'm thinking of writing a song for the bums - sung to the tune of "when your a Jet" -(Westside Story)...

ala- "When yr a bum yr a bum ever-after, from yr first meditation 'til you share Li Po's laughter...

c'mon back good buddies...

By the way I recently heard a version of "I'm Feel Pretty"- from the same show- -by Little Richard -it had me on the floor laughing! I'll try to make it available-when I learn how...

Thanks for the uplift!- Pat

Bunkminster Fuller swore that when he stood still he felt the rotation of the earth through the heavens.

Sign in to follow this