GrandmasterP

Free TaiChi Journal

No idea, sorry. I just saw that subject in the online mag a while back.

MA Journal is well worth a visit, most of it is free once you have registered and there are some real experts on there.

I just remember stuff.

8 strands of silk brocade, that I know about.

Anything else cultivation wise...

Nah.

:-)

Edited by GrandmasterP

No idea, sorry. I just saw that subject in the online mag a while back.

MA Journal is well worth a visit, most of it is free once you have registered and there are some real experts on there.

I just remember stuff.

8 strands of silk brocade, that I know about.

Anything else cultivation wise...

Nah.

Oh it looks like he teaches it in the 38-form dvd.

Edited by Celestial

Trouble we have in UK is the format.

USA DVDs don't work on our DVD players as a rule.

Also it's worth checking exact titles on Amazon , sometimes Amazon partners sell DVDs cheaper than the producers sell them direct.

Edited by GrandmasterP

Thanks for the link. What about learning the silk reeling technique?

The same guy has a set specifically about silk reeling. I've been thinking about checking out some of his stuff too.

Silk Reeling Energy

Any feedback appreciated if you do buy.

MA Journal is always keen to receive reviews.

Sometimes the first few reviews bigging up a product come from the producer or his chums posting in disguise.

Bit like the guys on here subtly promoting their own proprietary systems.

Can't blame any businessmen for doing that but real customer comments count for far more.

Ken Gullette's silk reeling DVDs are very good for a basic level. Disclaimer: He does not believe in qi as anything other than a physical phenomenon and is not a "master" just a good practitioner with good communications skills.

http://www.plumpub.com/sales/dvd/dvdcoll_TCchenxiaowang.htm

I personally prefer the Chen Xiaowang series of discs. If you really want to learn you will need an in-person teacher for corrections. It IS necessary.

http://practicalmethod.com/lang/en/category/chen-zhonghua-taiji-products-shop/

Chen Zhonghua is from the Ma Hong lineage as well as Feng Zhiqiang's after Ma Hong passed. His videos are very clear and he has even inspired others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We3nu1dSfE4

Charles' taijiquan foundations series of videos is INCREDIBLE material if a bit dry.

Rich Marantz also did some great videos on taijiquan basics but I believe he's from the Wudang lineage.

http://www.ehow.com/videos-on_7710_tai-chi-concepts-principles.html

• Like 1

Ken Gullette's silk reeling DVDs are very good for a basic level. Disclaimer: He does not believe in qi as anything other than a physical phenomenon and is not a "master" just a good practitioner with good communications skills.

After watching some of the trailers for his videos, all I can say is: ugh. He's gasping for air after every move he performs, so perhaps he should stop being ignorant about Qi as it's clearly holding him back.

I'll look into the other videos but it seems as if Chen-style is just really hard to come by. I can find a million things online regarding Yang-style though.

http://www.plumpub.com/sales/dvd/dvdcoll_TCchenxiaowang.htm

I personally prefer the Chen Xiaowang series of discs. If you really want to learn you will need an in-person teacher for corrections. It IS necessary.

http://practicalmethod.com/lang/en/category/chen-zhonghua-taiji-products-shop/

Chen Zhonghua is from the Ma Hong lineage as well as Feng Zhiqiang's after Ma Hong passed. His videos are very clear and he has even inspired others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We3nu1dSfE4

Charles' taijiquan foundations series of videos is INCREDIBLE material if a bit dry.

Rich Marantz also did some great videos on taijiquan basics but I believe he's from the Wudang lineage.

http://www.ehow.com/videos-on_7710_tai-chi-concepts-principles.html

Absolutely. Whatever the form it is absolutely essential, beyond the very basics; to learn with and from a teacher who is in the same room with you when you practice so that immediate prompts, corrections and the essential encouragement may be given.

In the MA you find many people who will say...

"Well that's all very well but there is no teacher of ...... close by where I am". My standard response to that is , then find a respected MA teacher who you can get to and at least have a few lessons , whatever the form. There is a certain "student attitude" (sorta learning HOW to learn) and set of skills that can be learnt only by studying with and alongside a skilled teacher. At very least you will get to spend quality time with someone who has spent years perfecting their art , knows what they are talking about and can give you advice and guidance along your path. Very few places don't have a TaiChi teacher for example and it is a poor martial artist who has not played that useful form at one time or another. Some of the best guys on the MA tournament circuit regularly play TaiChi. OK maybe some of em don't like to broadcast that fact, but they do.

Interesting trend though that I've noticed this past year or so in that more MA guys are kinda coming out of the closet as far as TaiChi or QiGong is concerned and fessing up to the benefits they get from playing one of those. There's a good piece on Qi in December Martial Arts Illustrated written by a guy who you'd maybe not, from the look of him in his photo; necessarily want to get on the wrong side of.

Trouble we have in UK is the format.

USA DVDs don't work on our DVD players as a rule.

Also it's worth checking exact titles on Amazon , sometimes Amazon partners sell DVDs cheaper than the producers sell them direct.

On old DVD players you can put in a code so you can watch US DVDs and on new players you can usually change it in the settings, I have a fair few US Qigong DVDs

Wow, that's handy to know. Many thanks Jetsun our ancient DVD player needs replacing anyway so will look out for one as per your recommend.

Much obliged.

After watching some of the trailers for his videos, all I can say is: ugh. He's gasping for air after every move he performs, so perhaps he should stop being ignorant about Qi as it's clearly holding him back.

I'll look into the other videos but it seems as if Chen-style is just really hard to come by. I can find a million things online regarding Yang-style though.

Ken has some sort of medical condition where part of his diaphragm is paralyzed. I don't know if the videos were made before or after he was diagnosed. Not everyone is a good fighter but the experience is there. Ken has studied IMA for many years and has studied with some super top notch Chen style folks. He has some really good tips for those who are having a hard time intellectually understanding the style. You will never learn an art like this properly without in person instruction though.

where are you located

Southern California.

Ken has some sort of medical condition where part of his diaphragm is paralyzed. I don't know if the videos were made before or after he was diagnosed. Not everyone is a good fighter but the experience is there. Ken has studied IMA for many years and has studied with some super top notch Chen style folks. He has some really good tips for those who are having a hard time intellectually understanding the style. You will never learn an art like this properly without in person instruction though.

All the more reason to investigate the power of Qi and not simply write it off as some 'phenomenon.'

Southern California.

Check the Chinese Yellow Page. BTW I live in Southern California too.

Do a google search: chen style tai chi los angeles

Edited by ChiDragon

Check the Chinese Yellow Page. BTW I live in Southern California too.

Do a google search: chen style tai chi los angeles

Yeah I did a google search, a few places came up but I have no idea if they're reputable. I've already been down the road of McDojo's in the past; and refuse to go down it again.

Are you practicing anything at the moment?

Yeah I did a google search, a few places came up but I have no idea if they're reputable. I've already been down the road of McDojo's in the past; and refuse to go down it again.

Are you practicing anything at the moment?

Yes, Yang style tai ji.

I started with Yang years ago, didn't click with me. Where are you studying?

I had learned the 108 Yang style long time ago and practiced since then on my own. Tai Ji requires lots of patience at the beginning regardless of what style that was. I always like to practice it and talk about it with someone but no one seems to be interested. What part of Southern California do you live in...??? Maybe we can get together and have some fun in a discussion.