GrandmasterP

Free TaiChi Journal

I had learned the 108 Yang style long time ago and practiced since then on my own. Tai Ji requires lots of patience at the beginning regardless of what style that was. I always like to practice it and talk about it with someone but no one seems to be interested. What part of Southern California do you live in...??? Maybe we can get together and have some fun in a discussion.

Los Angeles area.

It didn't click with me because at the time I didn't know anything about taoist immortality or chi kung for that matter. The school was a McDojo that didn't explain the reasoning behind the forms. Memorizing forms can be nice, but without a solid foundation and understanding of chi and how to manipulate it throughout your body, I feel like it's just a huge waste of time.

Now that I know more about it, I would like to learn again.

Yes, there are lots of steps were repeated.

I've been learning the Beijing 24-step short form with a super teacher and I am finding that a struggle.

The QiGong is a doddle compared to the TaiChi as there are only 8 moves in Baduanjin

Did you 'chunk' up the moves or make a mnemonic to remember the order?

Southern California.

Taomeow has a top notch Chen teacher in San Diego area

She might know of a good teacher in or near Los Angeles

PM her if you are serious

Edited by mYTHmAKER
  • Like 1

I've been learning the Beijing 24-step short form with a super teacher and I am finding that a struggle.

The QiGong is a doddle compared to the TaiChi as there are only 8 moves in Baduanjin

You have to chunk. I learned the 24-step form easily this way.

I had a good teacher, she taught a new set of movements each week. In class we learn and practice the set for two hours then go home to practice twice each day. Next week, we learn a new set again, In class again practice from the previous set of movements plus the new set. Practice again at home in the same manner. The third week, we learn the third set, then go home again and practice the three sets continuously twice a day until all the set of the 108 movement were learned.

With this teaching and practicing method, The practitioners have no problem in remembering all the movements.

BTW The 24-step short form was simplified by the Chinese government, in 1956, so it will be less complicated for all the common people to practice it. Since then, the westerner were interested in the Tai Ji Chuan and went to learn in China. The 24-step short form was taught to them. The westerners brought and taught in their own country. Thus the 24-step short form become an international standard, so, all can compete in Beijing.

Edited by ChiDragon

Yep it's the main set that TCUGB teachers teach here in the UK.

I'm only four weeks in, early days yet.

Nice to be a student now and again.

I am also learning it from the site below. Since you had learned the 24-step short form, maybe it is good reference for you. The good thing about it was that the video is showing the movements from the backside.

[media]

[/media]

BTW I had it in mind to cite this for you before you went to China. Maybe it is not too late.

Edited by ChiDragon

The lineage I learned from is Chen Xiaowang's and he has a number of disciples in Southern California, more in the San Diego area if I recall correctly.

http://www.chenxiaowang.com/disciplesusa.html#California

Jason Tsou is a long time exponent of quality internal martial arts instruction and he is more famous for his bagua and baji but is certainly able to teach Chen. He learned it from Adam Hsu who is a kung fu brother of his in the Liu Yunqiao lineage.

http://jasontsoukungfu.com/program/regular_classes

Tim Cartmell teaches Chen, Sun, and Zhaobao taiji privately. I would go for the Zhaobao, it seems to be a wonderfully graduated system with three different frames and a quite extensive neigong that quickly improve strength and internal connection.

http://www.shenwu.com/classes.htm

There is also Mario Mayorga who teaches Zhaobao but I do not know his lineage or anyone who trained under him so I cannot vouch for him.

http://www.5esd.com/class_info.html

• Like 1