Seeker of Wisdom

Chundi mantra

7 hours ago, EFreethought said:

I may have asked you this, but: Do you do the long version? Or the short version?

And do you do the mudras? Or just chant?

I'm honestly not sure which version I do. 

I do not do mudras.

14 hours ago, Maddie said:

I do not do mudras.

Do you do the mirror practice with it? 

2 minutes ago, Sahaja said:

Do you do the mirror practice with it? 

All I do is say the mantra. Sometimes I just listen to it. 

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Maddie said:

I do not do mudras.

Per http://www.meditationexpert.com/meditation-techniques/m_zhunti_mantra_cultivation_technique.htm:

The mantra phonetically runs as follows:

Namo Sadoh Nah
Samyak Sampo Doh
Jee-tzu Nah
Dah Zah Toh
Ohm Zhurli Zhuli Zhunti Soha
Ohm Brin

After 1,000,000 repetitions, the mantra recitation can be shortened to:

Ohm Zhurli Zhuli Zhunti Soha.
Ohm Brin.

I assume the "zhunti" mantra is the same as the "chundi" mantra.

Edited by EFreethought
added sentence for clarification
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, EFreethought said:

Per http://www.meditationexpert.com/meditation-techniques/m_zhunti_mantra_cultivation_technique.htm:

The mantra phonetically runs as follows:

Namo Sadoh Nah
Samyak Sampo Doh
Jee-tzu Nah
Dah Zah Toh
Ohm Zhurli Zhuli Zhunti Soha
Ohm Brin

After 1,000,000 repetitions, the mantra recitation can be shortened to:

Ohm Zhurli Zhuli Zhunti Soha.
Ohm Brin.

I assume the "zhunti" mantra is the same as the "chundi" mantra.

Yes same thing, and that is the version I do. 

22 minutes ago, Maddie said:

Yes same thing, and that is the version I do. 

That’s the big gay disco version!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Apech said:

That’s the big gay disco version!

Obviously B)

On 5/23/2024 at 9:52 AM, Maddie said:

All I do is say the mantra. Sometimes I just listen to it. 

Are there any recordings you recommend? Or YouTube videos?

And does listening have the same effect as actually saying it?

1 minute ago, EFreethought said:

Are there any recordings you recommend? Or YouTube videos?

And does listening have the same effect as actually saying it?

In my experience since this is such a powerful mantra I get almost the same effect listening as I do actually chanting it. 

24 minutes ago, SirPalomides said:

So does anyone do the thing with the mirror? 

Excuse me!?!

39 minutes ago, SirPalomides said:

You know. The mirror thing. 

I'm not sure what that is?

As quoted here:

It is a defining feature of Zhunti practice, beginning with the Tang translation of the Cundī Dhāraṇī scriptures, that devotees are encouraged to use a mirror – "as an altar" (wei tan), some of the texts say – to facilitate visualization. Gazing into a mirror while reciting the dhāraṇī, one is to visualize both the image of the deity and the mystic letters that embody her. In time, the small disc-shaped bronze mirrors used for this purpose came to be commonly imprinted, on the back, with the deity's iconic form, according to the canonical description, and, on the front and/or the back, with the inscribed dhāraṇī. It was not unusual to have the Sanskrit version of the spell embossed on the outer edge of the front or reflecting side of the disc, and to have the transliterated Chinese version embossed on the circumference of the back. The effect is of an image of the goddess encircled by "garlands" of sacred syllables, as though to reinforce the claim that the goddess and the incantation were inseparable, perhaps even mutually constitutive. And, of course, as the instrument in question is a mirror, the fusion of goddess and spell is further fused with the practitioner's own reflection. Sometimes, to emphasize the theme of communion between devotee and deity, the goddess's image is imprinted on the back of the mirror, facing backwards, so that someone viewing the rear of the mirror would see the back of the goddess and could therefore easily imagine, when gazing at his or her own image in the front of the mirror, that it was the goddess herself, in the guise of one's own visage, who is gazing back

• Wow 1

4 minutes ago, SirPalomides said:

As quoted here:

It is a defining feature of Zhunti practice, beginning with the Tang translation of the Cundī Dhāraṇī scriptures, that devotees are encouraged to use a mirror – "as an altar" (wei tan), some of the texts say – to facilitate visualization. Gazing into a mirror while reciting the dhāraṇī, one is to visualize both the image of the deity and the mystic letters that embody her. In time, the small disc-shaped bronze mirrors used for this purpose came to be commonly imprinted, on the back, with the deity's iconic form, according to the canonical description, and, on the front and/or the back, with the inscribed dhāraṇī. It was not unusual to have the Sanskrit version of the spell embossed on the outer edge of the front or reflecting side of the disc, and to have the transliterated Chinese version embossed on the circumference of the back. The effect is of an image of the goddess encircled by "garlands" of sacred syllables, as though to reinforce the claim that the goddess and the incantation were inseparable, perhaps even mutually constitutive. And, of course, as the instrument in question is a mirror, the fusion of goddess and spell is further fused with the practitioner's own reflection. Sometimes, to emphasize the theme of communion between devotee and deity, the goddess's image is imprinted on the back of the mirror, facing backwards, so that someone viewing the rear of the mirror would see the back of the goddess and could therefore easily imagine, when gazing at his or her own image in the front of the mirror, that it was the goddess herself, in the guise of one's own visage, who is gazing back

wow that is very interesting, this is the first time I have ever heard of this! 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, SirPalomides said:

So does anyone do the thing with the mirror? 

Yes! The mirror is a part of the full sadhana and visualization. It's a great realization to realize you are the Buddha and see yourself with the arms and each thing they symbolize.

image.png.f521092e91e4e9b9c9c33b46393bb92a.png

I think it is good to do initial parts of the sadhana ("Ohm lah" purificatory stuff), too, which most people skip... I do it as part of hungry ghost offering rituals. I think it helps to carve out a space, mentally speaking, for cultivation fruits and purity, so the practice holds a different space and life (rather than mixing up with worldly life always).

Also, although the zhunti mantra is unique in that it is acceptable to be done under any condition (while in the bathroom, etc.), other than the respect shown to the deities involved, there are many benefits to fully immersing in the full sadhana once in a while... including as Bill Bodri indicates how it clears away errant thoughts through the "positive" method of meditation where you overwhelm your mind with meditative concentration on all the complicated features of the sadhana (wheel, letters, body energy visualization, arms, objects, etc.) and drop away all worldly thoughts.

Edited by megamorphg
  • Like 1

If I recall correctly there is an action that should be taken if the wrong image is seen in the mirror. seeing images in a mirror that you didn’t intend  to see seems a bit spooky to me. Forewarned is forearmed. 

11 hours ago, Sahaja said:

If I recall correctly there is an action that should be taken if the wrong image is seen in the mirror. seeing images in a mirror that you didn’t intend  to see seems a bit spooky to me. Forewarned is forearmed. 

"wrong image" meaning you are making the wrong gesture? Or do you mean something more supernatural/sinister, like seeing someone other than yourself in the mirror?

Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2024 at 10:53 AM, Maddie said:

In my experience since this is such a powerful mantra I get almost the same effect listening as I do actually chanting it. 

Maybe you have been over this, but: how did you come across the Chundi mantra? And what other mantras did you try? Give us your testa-chundi.

I have never tried it. I first read about it on Bill Bodri's site.

Edited by EFreethought
adding more detail

6 hours ago, EFreethought said:

Maybe you have been over this, but: how did you come across the Chundi mantra? And what other mantras did you try? Give us your testa-chundi.

I have never tried it. I first read about it on Bill Bodri's site.

I think someone on this website referenced Bill Brody's website for something else and then I was just scrolling through the articles and I came across that and I found the description fascinating because I was obsessed with karma.

On 5/26/2024 at 11:11 AM, Sahaja said:

It's more of a preventive measure than a reactive one: you recite Ohm Ha Li Di Ga as the vision stabilizes.
image.png.16173b29888f8349b798ef84a2ed93b7.png

These last few tidbits of information have been very interesting since I have never heard of this before, and Zhunti mantra has been one of my longest running practices. 

I have seen my clinic continue to improve as I continue with the mantra, but I also notice I keep thinking about "emptiness" more as well. 

On 5/24/2024 at 10:53 AM, Maddie said:

I found a file on Bodri's site where he gives a pronunciation of the Chundi mantra (or Zhunti as he calls it). I extracted it, and looped it and have the mantra on a loop for about 14 minutes.

If anyone is interested in using it, let me know and I will see if I can share it. People have had issues with files on this site before.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2024 at 11:16 AM, EFreethought said:

I found a file on Bodri's site where he gives a pronunciation of the Chundi mantra (or Zhunti as he calls it). I extracted it, and looped it and have the mantra on a loop for about 14 minutes.

If anyone is interested in using it, let me know and I will see if I can share it. People have had issues with files on this site before.

That youtube video that I posted is the one that I listen to most often, I seem to get results from it.