taijistudent

The Nature of the Dao De Jing

Just seems like one in ten is a bit on the high side.

So, you did understand the hidden message of Chapter 50.

Nice, that makes me feel good that the translation went through.... :)

• Like 1

夫何故

There is one who is unlike these others

以其生生之

because he thrives on deep and magnanimous friendship blossoming [in his heart]

蓋聞善攝生者

Affixing, and protecting within, the good known by all, he grasps and understands the secret of all life

(lit.: cover, understand, great good, absorb, life, + particle to create adverb)

陸行不遇兕虎

Walking the earth without encountering tiger or rhinoceros

入軍不被甲兵

Passing through a battalion without wearing a soldier’s armour

This deep friendship guarded within allows him to know when he is trespassing on others. I think this applies to encountering animals in the wild as well. If they see you are not a threat, nor want to encroach on their boundaries/personal space, and you are not afraid for yourself (which leads to defensive response), you are less likely to be perceived as a threat. Not being afraid for yourself also shows courage which can protect from predators.

This is, in a way, giving up the ego, which some perceive as part of, or the meaning of, resurrection.

This idea is also reflected in Chapter Eight with the lines:

(my translations)

10 正善治,

zhèng shàn zhì,

It is of the utmost importance that kindness is the guiding power

11 事善能,

shì shàn néng,

In business, kindness brings success

12 動善時。

dòng shàn shí。

In movement, kindness brings good timing

13 夫唯不爭,

fú wéi bù zhēng,

So it is understood thereby, that not being selfish

14 故無尤。

gù wú yóu。

There will be no mistakes

(again, see my PPD for the rest of the translation)

Edited by Harmonious Emptiness

It's not stated explicitly as "one in ten."

ME....

Yes, it did. In classic, it was written in metaphor. That is the fun part about reading the classic; it is just like a riddle. You said, sometime ago, that you want to learn how to read classic. Now, it's your chance.

ME....

Yes, it did. In classic, it was written in metaphor. That is the fun part about reading the classic; it is just like a riddle. You said, sometime ago, that you want to learn how to read classic. Now, it's your chance.

Well, exactly. can mean a number of things, but is constructed by a picture of a person (with outstretched arms, usually meaning great) and one/alone. So it's still sort of there deeper in the words of the phrase, while not "explicitly" stated.

It's difficult to make a direct translation of what turns out like: "not which hence故 ."

Is this what you meant?

Edited by Harmonious Emptiness

Again, you are making the same mistake by breaking down the character to radicals.

In classic, 夫 means "therefore" if put in front of a phrase. BTW You will not find this definition in the modern non-Chinese dictionary.

Again, you cannot learn this character on your own without additional help. It took me months to research this character to come to this conclusion. One didn't know this definition; but it doesn't mean it is not. BTW The character doesn't use in this manner, anymore, in the modern Chinese language.

Edited by ChiDragon

Again, you are making the same mistake by breaking down the character to radicals.

Well it literally means "adult male" so I don't think that particular analysis was out of place.

In classic, 夫 means "therefore" if put in front of a phrase. BTW You will not find this definition in the modern non-Chinese dictionary.

it is a versatile character, but yes, I am aware of that definition as well.

Again, you cannot learn this character on your own without additional help. It took me months to research this character to come to this conclusion. One didn't know this definition; but it doesn't mean it is not. BTW The character doesn't use in this manner, anymore, in the modern Chinese language.

Its a matter of searching to find its use in many different contexts which can be done online.

I think if we wish to continue this it would be best looked at in the TTB "Chinese Language" forum.