Sign in to follow this  
Aaron

Alan Watts comments on Masturbation and Religion

Here is a talk by Alan Watts on Celibacy that is on youtube. Since this is such a widely debated topic, I thought it might be nice to see what one of the Western experts have to say about it.

Here's his continued comments regarding the topic of sex...

Aaron

Edited by Aaron

I thought I might add one comment, which is that it is easy to see how his explanation of the Western Semitic tradition (Christian, Islam, and Jewish) of marriage and sexual idealism (totalitarianism) is almost identical to the Taoism, Buddhism, and some forms of Hinduism's views on sexuality, masturbation, and love. In the end perhaps it's time to ask exactly what the reason for this conscious dissociation from self stems from?

Aaron

Edited by Aaron

I thought I might add one comment, which is that it is easy to see how his explanation of the Western Semitic tradition (Christian, Islam, and Jewish) of marriage and sexual idealism (totalitarianism) is almost identical to the Taoism, Buddhism, and some forms of Hinduism's views on sexuality, masturbation, and love. In the end perhaps it's time to ask exactly what the reason for this conscious dissociation from self stems from?

Aaron

Maybe its not so much a conscious dissociation from self, but something deeper, like seeking a return to completeness, not realizing that nothing is actually missing. In a nutshell, its as if one is born whole, then goes thru the cycle of wants and needs, fueling the craving for things both tangible and intangible, leading to the feeling that somehow some pieces are missing from the puzzle, then, in later years, realizing that all one's actions have been a misuse of time and energy, that life is actually so very simple, and nothing was needed in the first place, that the ideas of being incomplete were merely self-projections, and these, due to ignorance, become causes for suffering of suffering, suffering of change, and cosmic suffering.

idk, some ideas, perhaps really outdated ones, came to my head when i read your post. Perhaps also simply a self-reminder, so thanks for making it happen!

Celibacy is not for everyone, cos not everyone knows the proper ways to 'funnel' the energetic swishing about of stuff that arises during the process of abstinence. Its not even a stand-alone practice, so those whose sole focus happens to be this will not get too far.

I have tried it for 8 or 9 years on the trot. Was it good? Who can say for sure... Sure, there are benefits, but are these primarily due to the practice, or a combination of various other positive factors? One needs to determine carefully whats involved and be of sound mind and of strong resolve so as to be able to watch all the subtle changes that takes place, and build upon these, with care and patience.

Celibacy is not for everyone, cos not everyone knows the proper ways to 'funnel' the energetic swishing about of stuff that arises during the process of abstinence. Its not even a stand-alone practice, so those whose sole focus happens to be this will not get too far.

IMO celebacy is a tricky word,...dictionaries imply it means forced abstention from sex, vows, religious neurosis, etc.

Let's suppose however, that one has a focued, burning desire for something, such as uncovering the nature of nirvana,...and thus all their time is utilized towards that quest, to such a extent that the desire is for Others, not one's perceived self,...and which by consequence, one does not indulge in sex or marriage,...it that person celebate?

As the word celebate was re-translated throughout history, did it always imply abstention, restriction, denial, disconnection, religious neurosis, etc?

IMO celebacy is a tricky word,...dictionaries imply it means forced abstention from sex, vows, religious neurosis, etc.

Let's suppose however, that one has a focued, burning desire for something, such as uncovering the nature of nirvana,...and thus all their time is utilized towards that quest, to such a extent that the desire is for Others, not one's perceived self,...and which by consequence, one does not indulge in sex or marriage,...it that person celebate?

As the word celebate was re-translated throughout history, did it always imply abstention, restriction, denial, disconnection, religious neurosis, etc?

good point... changing the name of the topic to masturbation and religion...

Aaron

Sign in to follow this