Marblehead

Watching The Birds

dutch bird watching is a little different   :(  i am a companion of owls, but this

PURMEREND, Netherlands (AP) — A falconer has captured an aggressive eagle owl that terrorized a Dutch town by swooping out of the sky and sinking its talons into residents' heads.

The bird earned the nickname "terror owl" in Purmerend, 20 kilometers (12 miles) north of Amsterdam where it attacked some 50 people in the last year.

Some of the bird's victims required hospital treatment to stitch up deep scratches. Residents took to walking the streets with umbrellas or wearing hats to ward off aerial attacks.

Purmerend municipality announced that a falconer it hired caught the bird Friday. It said the bird was in good health and is awaiting a suitable new home.

Alderman Mario Hegger said the municipality would have preferred to leave the "magnificent bird of prey" alone but "it became too risky."

This weekend, after waking-up from some meditations,, I spotted this Magnificent frigatebird through the tree tops.

Never having seen one before, I knew exactly what it was and ran out onto the beach to get a photo.

It made a big impression on me.

Awesome, the sharp black shadow , a steady silent cut-out in the pallid sky as if no gravity nor wind could move it. 

I don't think I have ever seen such a creature as impressive, I felt honored just to have seen it. 

post-86726-0-90143000-1426522612_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 2

Hey zero, thats a really nice shot, did you take it yourself? Blue jays may nor be uncommon, but I find them difficult to get a good shot of, somebow they are always behind a stick or facing the wrong direction and so forth. I like the pose, and acorn, its very Audubonish.

I drove a hundred miles out to honeymoon island yesterday spring migrants are already moving through. I got a few species I havent ever gotten before. Hooded warbler,prothonotary warbler, louisiana waterthrush, but I think I might have been happier with the jay shot there.

Mh, I also saw some rubythroated hummingbirds so if you havent been,you may start seeing them soon.

One seemed to have set up a territory around a patch of lantana. Another guy and I spent maybe an hour, trying to get a decent shot of it. The force was not with me though. :)

Mh, I also saw some rubythroated hummingbirds so if you havent been,you may start seeing them soon. One seemed to have set up a territory around a patch of lantana. Another guy and I spent maybe an hour, trying to get a decent shot of it. The force was not with me though. :)

It's still too cold for them to be here yet.  Every year though some nest in my neighbor's trees and come to my house to eat.  They love my Mexican Creeping Trumpets which are just now starting to get some good new growth but I won't have any flowers for a while yet.

stosh, now that you mention it, very audubon looking, i didnt take it myself. but i liked it and thought i'd share. bluejay are comfortable around me usually, they have come within arms reach several times, if a crow got that close, not sure how i would react lol,, but cardinals, robins, bluejays, sparrow, and sometimes mockingbirds at times come by into my personal space. in florida, the only birds (other than seaguls) to get that close to me were feral quaker parrots. 

stosh, now that you mention it, very audubon looking, i didnt take it myself. but i liked it and thought i'd share. bluejay are comfortable around me usually, they have come within arms reach several times, if a crow got that close, not sure how i would react lol,, but cardinals, robins, bluejays, sparrow, and sometimes mockingbirds at times come by into my personal space. in florida, the only birds (other than seaguls) to get that close to me were feral quaker parrots. 

You're in Florida?

anyway  Ill let you in on a secret, there are lots of spots where the birds are really rather acclimated to people. Some tiny birds are rather oblivious to big slow humans, we just dont operate at their scale. Others just have individual habits. 

Generally birds  dont give a carp about noise , as long as you arent crashing through the brush yelling , you arent sneaking up on them and THEN making a racket ,, and so forth. So just be subtle, youll get close , ten fifteen feet easy, and if you hang around nonchalant-like , they may get within oh , three feet of you. 

Well, this is fascinating !

Yesterday, I went out into the garden for  a 'smoko' sat there looking out at the view then this bird swooped in and landed on a branch on a tree about 15 downhill from he and level with my head. I was sitting still so he didnt notice me,

What a bird !  He looked around a bit but didnt notice me as I was very still. After a bit he looked at me, curious, then realised I was a person and took off, flew past me and over the cabin.

I had a bit of trouble looking him up as he was unusual. Very fine and equal and smooth plumage all over and a light slate grey colour all over, an intense look in the eye and demeanour .  A rare opportunity and pleasure to observe.

But what was it ?  

The closest I found was the Grey Goshawk

SB131655-XL.jpg

But the one I saw had no patterning at all, the evenness of the colour and plumage was actually surprising.  There is a white Goshawk that seems similar - but they are white;

IMG_3190.JPG?itok=mPzl1IkQ

A very intense look in the eyes, like this one;

browngoshawk_m-100x100.jpg

And he had light eyes like this one, not black or dark eyes.

Then I found this :

" The Grey Goshawk is a medium-sized raptor (bird of prey), with two colour morphs (forms). The grey morph has a grey head and upperparts, with white underparts barred grey on the chest. The rounded wings are grey above, white below, and have darker wingtips. The medium length tail is grey above and white below, barred grey. The white morph is pure white all over and is often known as the White Goshawk. Both morphs have a dark red eye and yellow legs and feet. However, this species is so variable in colour and size that it can be known as the Variable Goshawk."

Variable Goshawk ? ! ... Maybe this was a different variation - pure grey all over ? 

" The Grey Goshawk is found in coastal areas in northern and eastern Australia. The white morph is predominant in the more open forests of north-western Australia and coastal Victoria and is the only form found in Tasmania. The grey morph is more common in the thicker, sub-tropical forests of the east coast. "

My area seems right for a  grey morph.

" There are two distinctive forms of the Grey Goshawk, a grey one and a white one, and they were once considered to be totally separate species until a mixed pair was seen nesting together. In such circumstances, the offspring are usually either grey or white, like their parents, with intermediates between the forms exceedingly rare. These young birds are usually fed on a diet of mammals, especially rabbits, possums and bats, as well as birds, usually caught by the male, but fed to the young by the female. "

Yesterday morning I found fresh marsupial fluff all over the driveway on the grass , it wasnt the usual glider, as the fluffy tail is usually snipped off and left behind, and a different colour .... some small possum or other marsupial (going from the smell).

Maybe I have a new and 'exceedingly rare' resident ? 

• Like 2

Intersting.  I have seen them in documentaries and they are a beautiful and stealthy bird.

Yeah, it may have established residence in your area if its food supply is adequate.

Well, this is fascinating !

Yesterday, I went out into the garden for  a 'smoko' sat there looking out at the view then this bird swooped in and landed on a branch on a tree about 15 downhill from he and level with my head. I was sitting still so he didnt notice me,

What a bird !  He looked around a bit but didnt notice me as I was very still. After a bit he looked at me, curious, then realised I was a person and took off, flew past me and over the cabin.

I had a bit of trouble looking him up as he was unusual. Very fine and equal and smooth plumage all over and a light slate grey colour all over, an intense look in the eye and demeanour .  A rare opportunity and pleasure to observe.

But what was it ?  

The closest I found was the Grey Goshawk

SB131655-XL.jpg

But the one I saw had no patterning at all, the evenness of the colour and plumage was actually surprising.  There is a white Goshawk that seems similar - but they are white;

IMG_3190.JPG?itok=mPzl1IkQ

A very intense look in the eyes, like this one;

browngoshawk_m-100x100.jpg

And he had light eyes like this one, not black or dark eyes.

Then I found this :

" The Grey Goshawk is a medium-sized raptor (bird of prey), with two colour morphs (forms). The grey morph has a grey head and upperparts, with white underparts barred grey on the chest. The rounded wings are grey above, white below, and have darker wingtips. The medium length tail is grey above and white below, barred grey. The white morph is pure white all over and is often known as the White Goshawk. Both morphs have a dark red eye and yellow legs and feet. However, this species is so variable in colour and size that it can be known as the Variable Goshawk."

Variable Goshawk ? ! ... Maybe this was a different variation - pure grey all over ? 

" The Grey Goshawk is found in coastal areas in northern and eastern Australia. The white morph is predominant in the more open forests of north-western Australia and coastal Victoria and is the only form found in Tasmania. The grey morph is more common in the thicker, sub-tropical forests of the east coast. "

My area seems right for a  grey morph.

" There are two distinctive forms of the Grey Goshawk, a grey one and a white one, and they were once considered to be totally separate species until a mixed pair was seen nesting together. In such circumstances, the offspring are usually either grey or white, like their parents, with intermediates between the forms exceedingly rare. These young birds are usually fed on a diet of mammals, especially rabbits, possums and bats, as well as birds, usually caught by the male, but fed to the young by the female. "

Yesterday morning I found fresh marsupial fluff all over the driveway on the grass , it wasnt the usual glider, as the fluffy tail is usually snipped off and left behind, and a different colour .... some small possum or other marsupial (going from the smell).

Maybe I have a new and 'exceedingly rare' resident ? 

Very cool.

Perhaps it was an adolescent and the distinctive coloring hadn't come in yet...

well, compared to all the exotics I see here, my contribution is humble 

A blackbird is nestling in my garden, about in my lap when I'm sitting in the morningsun, it feels like a present.

And i can learn from her quiet and patient sitting, I too have to be quiet and patient at the moment, and am not good for much else as sitting...

• Like 3

Yep.  It is amazing the amount of wisdom we can attain just sitting and observing nature.

The pigeons and finches are hanging around here but then they are always hanging around here.  I did see a Cardinal pair yesterday.  I guess they are here to set up a home and have kids.

• Like 4

Today's only significant sighting was a kookaburra ....

squashed on the road   :(

At the same place I found an injured one about 7 years back, he was put in recovery,  healed, put back in the same spot. I used to see it in that spot a bit, then with a mate ... couldnt help thinking it might be the same one .... oh well, if it was, he got another good 7 years out it . 

The birds on that spot of road often seem to 'play chicken' with the cars ,  dont know why - dangerous game!

• Like 1

Yep.  It is amazing the amount of wisdom we can attain just sitting and observing nature.

yes.gif

When I had a broken leg and smashed back from a motorcycle accident, spent  a lot of time on a couch out on the east decking.

One of the things I noticed was the magpies call when someone is approaching along the driveway ( out of sight from where I was) - their call was different for a known visitor approaching and an unknown one !  The strange person call was more like the danger! call (then they would all go to their posts, one had the high lookout, and all the little birds would go undercover ... then a few moments later a big wedgie * or something would cruise by far overhead

wedgetail_eagle_126.jpg

The pigeons and finches are hanging around here but then they are always hanging around here.  I did see a Cardinal pair yesterday.  I guess they are here to set up a home and have kids.

• Like 2

well, compared to all the exotics I see here, my contribution is humble 

A blackbird is nestling in my garden, about in my lap when I'm sitting in the morningsun, it feels like a present.

And i can learn from her quiet and patient sitting, I too have to be quiet and patient at the moment, and am not good for much else as sitting...

There is nothing humble about the blackbird in my world.

Absolutely mesmerizing. 

What a great gift to have a nested pair in your garden! 

I just love this thread.  Makes me smile inside and out.

• Like 3

Today's only ...oh well, if it was, he got another good 7 years out it . 

The birds on that spot of road often seem to 'play chicken' with the cars ,  dont know why - dangerous game!

they start over , unfortunate and sad , its the way of things, but they are what they are, and that isnt unfortunate or sad.
  • Like 1

yes.gif

When I had a broken leg and smashed back from a motorcycle accident, spent  a lot of time on a couch out on the east decking.

One of the things I noticed was the magpies call when someone is approaching along the driveway ( out of sight from where I was) - their call was different for a known visitor approaching and an unknown one !  The strange person call was more like the danger! call (then they would all go to their posts, one had the high lookout, and all the little birds would go undercover ... then a few moments later a big wedgie * or something would cruise by far overhead

Yep.  I have been learning more about that recently from TV documentaries.  Seems that most animals have at least a few different calls they use to warn other members of their local group of potential danger.

Some even have different calls to identify the specific danger like a leopard, snake, eagle, etc.

and the blue jay is known to mimic a red tailed hawk's cry to scare off other birds, so the blue jay

can come in and have the whatevers to themselves. crow in my area,observed by me, so not scientific,

like that adds credibility or not--anyways, crows seem to have different calls that signal  some individual people.

call me crazy if you want. 

well neither blue jay or crow go messing around with these guys, and if you have auto play you will get a natgeo hour long abt owls..

• Like 2

Those owls are just cute, 

Gulls are so smart...I remember once on a campsite, most everybody was on the beach and i was looking at this gull.

Eggs are sold here in cartons, you have to 'push' at two little nubs to get off the lid. So this carton of eggs was in the shade just under a tent, the gull was picking right at that little nub... when he started on the second nub i stood up to save my neighbours dinner...

My blackbird is still silently nestling, she's a beauty. I hope it will go well, i fear for the neighbourcat when the chicks come out but one may always hope. The cat has a bell because she's a real huntinglady, more like a small black panther.

And my friendly neighborwoman just doesn't seem to understand the great honour the cat does her when little dead birds are deposited on the couch...

and I've seen the first bat's hunting the first mosquito's. I always like these very fast and strange flying little animals of the twilight

• Like 2

Currawongs eat tofu .  

Blackie, my feral pet one, usually comes for breakfast. I put some tofu on his plate rock and he gives me the weirdest look. Then pecks it, pecks it some more more, eats a bit and then gathers it all up in his beak and flys off with it - good enough to take home. 

I get these little micro-bats here, a clutch ( ? ...  a nestle of bats ?  ... a coffin {'coven' :) }  of bats ? )  lived in the wall for a while. Sometimes they fly around inside a bit, and at times land on the central pole in the cabin, if you are really slow and gentle you can pat them with the tip of the finger  :)

Vanderreemain-microbat.jpg

Here is a baby flying fox bat ... just for fun. 

Baby-Spec.jpg

• Like 3

Better than the one species !

The currawong took a ferocious hit in the middle of breakfast , he was pecking up a cracker and this  little black and white flash came in at from low altitude,   (Butcher Bird), hit him right in the side of the head, he went down and took a roll.  Got up and stood there frozen. I even thought I was going to be able to pick him up, but he ran off and hid under a bush for about half and hour.

Some business to do with eggs or nest raiding I assume.

6504045889_bfb953ebf7_b.jpg

big_thumb_5cbe6d27daa4131f4292c0754d5d76

• Like 1