Sign in to follow this  
Aaron

Does Taobums monitor personal conversations and internet usage?

I've noticed a peculiar thing. I have a conversation with someone via the messenger on Taobums and suddenly the advertisement that's popping up has to do with that conversation. For instance I mentioned creative writing in one personal message and suddenly I have ads for degrees in creative writing popping up on the site.

It seems like the site is tracking my conversation as well as other sites I visit. If so I think it would be nice for Taobums to make us aware of this. I'm not trying to make waves, it's just that in the modern age of internet privacy, this seems like something a site should make you aware of, if it's occurring.

Aaron

Edited by Aaron
  • Like 1

Next time you see an ad, you will notice a drop down menu to the right of it. You will find that you can opt out of google stalking (ads relevant to your interests) as well as particular advertising companies. I no longer see ads anywhere on the net which try to lead me to beleive pipelines and oil tankers are safe now ;).

Having run forums before, it is extremely difficult for the folks running the forum to read any person messages or chats, they are not saved or displayed in any usual manner. Only decent level programmers with no life would be able to read the personal messages, and I doubt the chats.

Edited by BaguaKicksAss
  • Like 1

Thanks for

Next time you see an ad, you will notice a drop down menu to the right of it. You will find that you can opt out of google stalking (ads relevant to your interests) as well as particular advertising companies. I no longer see ads anywhere on the net which try to lead me to beleive pipelines and oil tankers are safe now ;).

Having run forums before, it is extremely difficult for the folks running the forum to read any person messages or chats, they are not saved or displayed in any usual manner. Only decent level programmers with no life would be able to read the personal messages, and I doubt the chats.

Thanks for the info. You actually have to click on the little |> shaped thing and then navigate through the options on your gmail account to opt out. I guess if you don't have a gmail account it might be easier.

Aaron

• Like 1

I use Adblock and Ghostery extensions to my browser so I don't see any adverts and tracking cookies are blocked.

• Like 2

pretty sure all the info harvesting for ads is done by bots. They always seem to misinterpret what i am saying and the ads end up not really applying to me :lol: i'm not too worried about my internet stuff being read, because if i do something really crazy/illegal i probably wont post about it on the internet

• Like 1

i maintain a constant effort to appear completely harmless and non-threatoning so that if/when my lifeways or body comes under assault, i can defeat the wrongful attacker (all attacks are 100% wrong, every time. all defenses are 100% correct, every time.) and preserve the truth and righteousness of Free Will.

I use Adblock and Ghostery extensions to my browser so I don't see any adverts and tracking cookies are blocked.

O.K. just downloaded those two - thks

So then I get this new mauve popup in the upper right corner that seems to be indicated the ads or maybe the cookies that have just been blocked by Ghostery?

Anyway..... pretty powerful ad-on.

Sign in to follow this