Marblehead

Seatbelts

Here in the US the automobile insurance industry presented data to our government that 'proved' that wearing seatbels saves lives. Our government then passed a law requiring everyone to wear seatbelts.

Isn't it wonderful that our insurance companies care about us?

The truth: The law saves the automobile insurance industry lots of money because if the people in an automobile accident are not wearing seatbelts the insurance companies reduce their financial responsibilites dramatically. Great way to save money so the upper management and stock holders can earn more money.

Plus, it gives law inforcement another tool for fining drivers who do not wear seatbelts and thereby increase the revenue of the various governments.

This is the truth: The other day I was returning from shopping and stopped at a traffic light next to a motorcycle cop and asked him where his seatbelt was and he replied that he was wearing his mental seatbelt. I wonder if I could use that reasoning if I drove my vehicle without wearing my seatbelt, was stopped and was going to be given a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt.

Anyhow, since wearing seatbelts saves lives I wonder if the governments of the world would consider this:

Not having wars saves lives. Therefore a worldwide law should be enacted prohibiting wars. Any leader of and nation who started a war would be sent directly to jail.

Hint: It ain't gonna' happen. Having wars creates wealth for the government leaders and the war materials manufacturers.

Life just isn't very rational some times.

• Like 2

Seat belt have been compulsory since about 1979 in UK and Europe ... so just got used to them. If it stops you being thrown through the windscreen if you crash then a good thing I think. I agree about cynicism about insurance companies but nothing is simple - so there's always more than one perspective on anything.

i died in my last life in a car crash think i will wear a seatbelt

i died in my last life in a car crash think i will wear a seatbelt

But if you don't wear one you might be able to hurry up that cycle of reincarnations. Hehehe.

As a biker, albeit a 'retired' biker due to ill health.

Well, seat belts were never an issue !

But of wars were banned then the Military Industrial Complex wouldn't be very happy.

Neither would the bankers be, what about their profits !

You can't ban wars.

We can hope though. Man makes hell when he makes war.

All future wars should be fought by politicians only. When will the 'ordinary man' realize he is but a 'dog' to his masters.

Namaste,

gentlewind

Those who start wars never fight them.

When young people refuse to pick up a weapon and obediently kill whoever is pointed at, it will be a great day.

• Like 1

All future wars should be fought by politicians only. When will the 'ordinary man' realize he is but a 'dog' to his masters.

I regretfully suggest that this ain't gonna' happen either.

Those who start wars never fight them.

When young people refuse to pick up a weapon and obediently kill whoever is pointed at, it will be a great day.

What if they gave a war and nobody came?

• Like 1

I regretfully suggest that this ain't gonna' happen either.

we will evolve away from our need to feed upon the misery that is war. its only a matter of when. it will happen.

no more politics or religion, or education systems which suck the life force from us.

Namaste,

gentlewind

we will evolve away from our need to feed upon the misery that is war. its only a matter of when. it will happen.

no more politics or religion, or education systems which suck the life force from us.

Namaste,

gentlewind

It's good to have optimism. You hang in there.

Not optimism.

Nope.

Not blind hope,

or faith.

I was 'told' during a meditation that although things will get tough, we will survive and thrive.

Namaste,

gentlewind

• Like 1

the federal government does not have the authority to declare we all wear seatbelts.

(but of course I'd rather be wearing one than get tossed hard should an accident happen...not that I've ever been in such a one, but I've had friends fly through their sunroofs because they werent wearing one.)

the federal government does not have the authority to declare we all wear seatbelts.

(but of course I'd rather be wearing one than get tossed hard should an accident happen...not that I've ever been in such a one, but I've had friends fly through their sunroofs because they werent wearing one.)

I've heard tales of people being trapped in their car by the seat belt and burning to death. Not sure of the figures, but always worth a thought. Personally I try avoiding wearing one, unless the driver specifically asks me.

Namaste,

gentlewind

that's why I have one of those safety-cutters wedged in between my seat and center console ;)

• Like 1

I have no problem wearing my belt while driving my Tundra. But I just can't wear the belt while driving the Honda because it dramatically restricts my movements and ability to feel I have control of the vehicle.

I'm waiting for the government to pass a law that every man must wear a condom unless they are lawfully married to the woman they are about to have sex with.

I'm waiting for the government to pass a law that every man must wear a condom unless they are lawfully married to the woman they are about to have sex with.

How long are you going to wait before you start protesting that they shouldnt do it. I suggest you make a sandwich board proclaiming I WONT WEAR A CONDOM UNLESS I WANT TO, and start parading your local shopping mall now.

How long are you going to wait before you start protesting that they shouldnt do it. I suggest you make a sandwich board proclaiming I WONT WEAR A CONDOM UNLESS I WANT TO, and start parading your local shopping mall now.

Great idea Cat! I'll consider doing that. (Not very seriously though.)

I have no problem wearing my belt while driving my Tundra. But I just can't wear the belt while driving the Honda because it dramatically restricts my movements and ability to feel I have control of the vehicle.

until such time as the law is enforced upon government, as the government forces law upon people...

until such time as the law is enforced upon government, as the government forces law upon people...

Yeah, I must suggest that in most cases and in most countries, we, the people, are not fulfilling our responsibility. But that's the way it appears to be and appears to be continuing - give the responsibility to the government.

Edited by Marblehead
  • Like 1

that's why I have one of those safety-cutters wedged in between my seat and center console ;)

not everyone thinks ahead though - as with the poor folk who burnt to death.

Namaste,

gentlewind