4bsolute

Quick one: Is it important to write down spiritual experiences?

Dear Ones,

do you find it important to write down your spiritual experiences?

For example when you come out of a meaningful meditation and try to grasp everything that happened.

It is important to contemplate about it! But is it also important to write down as much as we can? If so, why?

And if not, might this only try to "physically form" too much when we get back into another meditation, hoping that everything will continue from there on? So possibly we put too much ego into it

I am aware that it is best to let the picture unfold completely before talking to anyone about it. But does this also count for writing it down?

I also speaking about spiritual experiences that happen during our waking life. "Accidents", temporarily unexplainable circumstances, new contacts with animals or other persons that leave an enchriching/meaningful feeling...

What is your opinion?

Edited by 4bsolute
  • Like 1

IMO, it is better not to consider experiences too much, and definitely don't try to conceptualise them.

Firstly, any experience that happens, then ceases, is by definition not the real nature of things. It may be an approximation, but if it temporary that means it is based on cause and effect - only another phenomenon. Reifying this experience makes it harder to go past it. Even an experience that persists isn't necessarily the top of the mountain, it could just be base camp!

Secondly, lingering over an experience affects your practice. You hope or fear it happens again, so you aren't properly in the moment enjoying your practice for what it is.

Thirdly, interesting experiences can make people feel they have something others don't. Connect this with my first reason, and this explains all the people who have some peak experience or a realisation and think they're enlightened.

Finally, trying to conceptualise an experience will mean the richness of the pure experience is lost. Consider eating chocolate, then trying to explain what it tastes like. Um... sweet? So is honey. Rich? So is casserole. Labelling has its place in the real world, but in cultivation we should be able to use it as a tool, or drop it and be like a baby with what is really there.

• Like 1

Its a good idea to record useful techniques you discover and also ideas about 'the way', and significant teachings you receive - but subjective experiences I don't think this is a good idea. It can be a distraction.

• Like 2

Whatever expectations you have are a barrier to you having further experiences, and trying to recreate spiritual experiences is another barrier, so you are better off letting it all go.

• Like 1

The answer to this question and most questions is Yes, No, Yes and No, Yes but sometimes no, No but sometimes yes, possibly, five, green chickens cross the road and eat sweetcorn must decide for onself, must accept others opinions on the matter too, dont allow people to suck your energy, especially when you ask questions, people like to do this and tell you my way is the best and yours isnt or Im the guru, be like me, you can submit if you want, but it can be giving away your power.

S

For example hiding too much can make you imbalanced, thinking all philosophy is useless is simply untrue imo, Insight is very important, but on the other hand its not, one is a human being too express oneself when one wants, disharmonious to express stuff to everyone

Dear Ones,

do you find it important to write down your spiritual experiences?

No

For example when you come out of a meaningful meditation and try to grasp everything that happened.

It is important to contemplate about it! But is it also important to write down as much as we can? If so, why?

No

And if not, might this only try to "physically form" too much when we get back into another meditation, hoping that everything will continue from there on? So possibly we put too much ego into it

No, it is only the thought that tells you to write and contemplate; the thought that claims understanding that hopes "everything will continue from there on."

Your natural state is still the same and will always continue from there on. Meditation is simply resting in that which is already there and unchanging.

I am aware that it is best to let the picture unfold completely before talking to anyone about it. But does this also count for writing it down?

I personally think it would be more valuable to write down your moment to moment thoughts and each and every action you take throughout your day off the cushion. Then you will be better able to see that which is preventing you from already being fully engaged in the most profound level of meditation.

I also speaking about spiritual experiences that happen during our waking life. "Accidents", temporarily unexplainable circumstances, new contacts with animals or other persons that leave an enchriching/meaningful feeling...

All movements of thought... better to let them go than reify them.

What is your opinion?

That was it, FWIW.

Enjoy your day!

I find it of value to right down such experiences, be it through poetry or simple prose. I find value in looking back at my experiences and reflecting on them. However, at the same time one should not be attached to these experiences or try to hold onto them....trying to hold on to experiences is not productive....detachment is a good rule to follow in this area, no matter how wonderful and blissful the experiences may be.

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi

from over on the "favorite quotes" thread today:

‘Those who know don’t talk. Those who talk don’t know. - [Lao Tzu]

‘To talk without knowing is unwise. To know but to keep silent is cowardly.‘ [Han Fe Tse]

Not exactly in agreement, are they?

If you feel you need to think it out on paper, I would start writing. Myself, I've been trying to describe what I experience on and off the cushion for years. I have actually written things that I find come back to me at moments in my practice, but it's more about finding words to describe the experience objectively. I've got a few good ones now (words, that is): equalibrioception, proprioception, sense of gravity, hypnogogic state. I'd like to think that I have a vocabulary now that others can understand, you can tell me if that's true or not if you look at the link in my signature. By God I'd like to change the world; wouldn't we all!

Edited by Mark Foote

I always feel sad when reading the biographies or autobiographies of the 'gurus' .

No matter what arenas : martial art , Zen , Yoga or others they come from , and no matter how wonderful an experience they ever experienced in their lives , their disciples found them inevitably perish one day . One of the ' guru ', at 42, wrote down his spiritual experience as follows:

"... I felt the universe suddenly quake, and that a golden spirit sprang up from the ground, veiled my body, and changed my body into a golden one. At the same time my body became light. I was able to understand the whispering of the birds, and was clearly aware of the mind of God, the creator of the universe..."

but later he was diagnosed with liver cancer and died at the age of 86.

The Chinese Taoist said :

"頂後有光猶是幻, 雲生足下未為仙"

(" Even you find your head mounted with light ring , it can still be illusory ; even you sense cloud gathering around your feet, yet you are still far from being immortal " )

No matter how fantastic an experience you get in your meditation, it is something subjective , and must be supplemented and checked with corresponding physical changes in your body . That spiritual nature('性') and physical life ('命') of us must both be cultivated , the so-called 'Dual Cultivation' , one of the most important Taoist principles , its significance is seldom noticed by the people in the West .
Edited by exorcist_1699

No rules, really. If it is something you want to do, do it. If you don't, no need to.

I normally don't record anything as it just happens -- if it's still with me later, weeks or months or years later, that's when I write about it if I'm in the mood. If it hasn't lost its meaning to you in a long time, or ever, then you can write about it whenever you feel like it. If it did, which only time will tell, it wasn't worth writing about to begin with. :D

The above pertains to ordinary tasks of writing stuff down, but not to the extraordinary uses of writing as a form of qigong (in traditional Chinese calligraphy, e.g.) or alchemy and/or magic (in talismanic calligraphy) or a healing routine that helps unblock the shen (via some techniques taught, e.g., in the longmen pai tradition), or part of a ritual that starts with writing and proceeds toward whatever purpose -- e.g. some sorcerers-for-hire in Hong Kong are fond of writing down a curse and then beating it with the client's shoe to potentiate it and direct it toward the recipient, and on and on. So, it all depends... :)

maybe it is valuable to you, but it only serves to give me something to look back on and go "ugh, i know so much more now that i feel retarded for even caring to write this down..."

this mostly applies to philosophical moral stuff, magic stuff is what it is - either you cling to it or you don't