eye_of_the_storm

The Bull Who Cried.

2011-4-16-110416cow01.jpg

The Bull Who Cried...

Knowing he was about to be slaughtered, a bull in Hong Kong did what many people fail to realize or are skeptic about when it comes to animals - he showed emotion.

As reported by Weekly World News, a group of workers walked a bull to a packaging factory. They were about to slaughter him to make steaks and beef stews. When they were close to the front door of the slaughter house, the sorrowful bull suddenly stopped going forward and knelt down on his two front legs.

The bull... was all in tears. How did he know he was going to get killed before he entered the slaughter house? He is even smarter than people.

Mr. Shiu, a butcher recalled: "When I saw this kind of so-called "stupid" animal sobbing and with his eyes in fear and sorrow, I started trembling. I called the rest over to see.

They were just as surprised. We kept pushing the bull forward, but he just didn't want to move and sat there crying.

"Billy Fong, owner of the packaging factory said: "People thought animals didn't cry like human beings.

However that bull really sobbed like a baby. "At that time, more than ten strong men witnessed the scene and they were all touched. Those who were responsible for slaughtering even felt more touched and teared as well.

Other workers working at the same slaughter house also came to see the crying bull. It was all packed with people. They were all shock by this scene. Three of them said they would never forget this crying bull when they slaughter other animals.

With both man and animal crying, everyone knew that nobody could kill the bull. The problem was, what should they do with him? In the end, they raised funds to buy this crying bull and sent him to a temple, where the kind monks would take care of him for life. After the workers had made a decision, a miracle happened.

A worker said: "When we promised this bull that we will not kill him, he started moving and followed us.

"How did he understand people's words? Mr. Shiu said: "Believe it or not? This is real although it sounds unbelievable.

"No doubt, this bull changed these butchers' lives. Hopefully this story has in turn changed yours."

• Like 9

Nice / Poignient story, WWROA. :o

Is there a link to the Article ?

Do you think the Animal was picking up on the Human thoughts / emotions somehow ?

Guess it's a lot easier to eat your Beef Burgers, if you don't actually think about how they're made & where they come from. :(

• Like 1

Guess it's a lot easier to eat your Beef Burgers, if you don't actually think about how they're made & where they come from. :(

I feel the same way when I see photos from the HSUS (Humane Society of the United States) of pigs in gestational crates the HSUS is trying to get outlawed. The crates are so tight the pigs can barely stand up, if at all, much less turn around. The HSUS is trying to, at a minimum, get the crates and pens enlarged. Because of all this I'd like to go lacto-ovo veg. but at this point I'm still at feathers and fins; nothing with mammary glands, hair or fur, though.

• Like 2

Couldn't find the original source sorry.

hmm I think they are very aware...

Cow Proves Animals Love, Think, And Act

http://www.globalanimal.org/2012/04/13/cow-proves-animals-love-think-and-act/71867/

April 13, 2012 Megan Cross

(TOUCHING TALE) A dairy cow made the tough choice to hide one of her calves after giving birth to twins. As her fifth birth, the cow remembered her previous agony and knew that both of her babies would be taken away, unless she tried to save one. The intelligence and care displayed by this mothering cow is both heartbreaking and breathtaking. Read this touching tale, told by a veterinarian, about an amazing display of motherly love that proves animals love and feel. — Global Animal

calves-differnt-colors-baby-cow.jpg

Photo Credit: APEX

By Holly Cheever, DVM, reprinted from Action for Animals

I would like to tell you a story that is as true as it is heartbreaking. When I first graduated from Cornell’s School of Veterinary Medicine, I went into a busy dairy practice in Cortland County. I became a very popular practitioner due to my gentle handling of the dairy cows. One of my clients called me one day with a puzzling mystery: his Brown Swiss cow, having delivered her fifth calf naturally on pasture the night before, brought the new baby to the barn and was put into the milking line, while her calf was once again removed from her. Her udder, though, was completely empty, and remained so for several days.

As a new mother, she would normally be producing close to one hundred pounds (12.5 gallons) of milk daily; yet, despite the fact that she was glowing with health, her udder remained empty. She went out to pasture every morning after the first milking, returned for milking in the evening, and again was let out to pasture for the night — this was back in the days when cattle were permitted a modicum of pleasure and natural behaviors in their lives — but never was her udder swollen with the large quantities of milk that are the hallmark of a recently-calved cow.

I was called to check this mystery cow two times during the first week after her delivery and could find no solution to this puzzle. Finally, on the eleventh day post calving, the farmer called me with the solution: he had followed the cow out to her pasture after her morning milking, and discovered the cause: she had delivered twins, and in a bovine’s “Sophie’s Choice,” she had brought one to the farmer and kept one hidden in the woods at the edge of her pasture, so that every day and every night, she stayed with her baby — the first she had been able to nurture FINALLY—and her calf nursed her dry with gusto. Though I pleaded for the farmer to keep her and her bull calf together, she lost this baby, too—off to the hell of the veal crate.

Think for a moment of the complex reasoning this mama exhibited: first, she had memory — memory of her four previous losses, in which bringing her new calf to the barn resulted in her never seeing him/her again (heartbreaking for any mammalian mother). Second, she could formulate and then execute a plan: if bringing a calf to the farmer meant that she would inevitably lose him/her, then she would keep her calf hidden, as deer do, by keeping her baby in the woods lying still till she returned. Third — and I do not know what to make of this myself — instead of hiding both, which would have aroused the farmer’s suspicion (pregnant cow leaves the barn in the evening, unpregnant cow comes back the next morning without offspring), she gave him one and kept one herself. I cannot tell you how she knew to do this—it would seem more likely that a desperate mother would hide both.

All I know is this: there is a lot more going on behind those beautiful eyes than we humans have ever given them credit for, and as a mother who was able to nurse all four of my babies and did not have to suffer the agonies of losing my beloved offspring, I feel her pain.

Holly Cheever, DVM

Vice President, New York State Humane Association Member

Humane Society Veterinary Medical Association’s Leadership Council

lord_krishna_and_cow-1024x768.jpg

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air
  • Like 4