thelerner

Cool places members live

leaving the house and driving left for 45 minutes... i see this:

(bonus of a local guide included :) )

10 minutes away, the city... with its art, music, trad sessions, and most of all, wonderful cuisine:

and in the summer, this is the general area where i usually hide away:

• Like 7

I live here....high in the southern spanish mountains. Its for sale if anyone is interested in going deeper into the inner development.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/838759

My niece left yesterday to do a semester of college in Spain. She's just settling in, but I'll forward this to her. You never know. It looks beautiful.

One day I want to stay in a yurt.

I'm amazed at the beautiful rugged places so many bums live near.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 3

I still have my pup tent from my Army days I will let you borrow if you want to start out small and work your way up to the yurt.

• Like 3

same here ;)

am thinking of booking a holiday in the summer to spend a few days in a yurt http://www.glampingireland.ie/

maybe in a couple of years, we might purchase a piece of land and put up a few yurts to start a kind of retreat place for people who share a similar path so that we can practice together. it might happen. i can feel it.

• Like 4

My niece left yesterday to do a semester of college in Spain. She's just settling in, but I'll forward this to her. You never know. It looks beautiful.

I'm amazed at the beautiful rugged places so many bums live near.

Yurts available for rent all over the west. Or buy a small piece of land and buy one! Cheaper ones are only a few thousand.

Some of my friends in Idaho live in one year round. Another friend sets one up near a ski hill every winter in Montana and stays there over weekends, or for a couple weeks at a time.

It's nice around here. You can rent old forest service cabins in the winter, or yurts. Some you have to ski into, others you can drive up to. None have electricity or running water, most are wood stove heat.

And you can rent fire lookouts that aren't staffed anymore in the summer.

The great thing about it all, the backpacking, camping, lookouts, yurts and cabins, is that it makes you feel like royalty but it's all dirt cheap. Of course not the kind of royalty with servants and clean sheets...but experience and scenery, yes.

• Like 2

Oh, I forgot to go on about the awesomeness of Vancouver!

Well there are the Pho restaurants on every block (nearly), and the sushi restaurants on every block. Well and we are sort of famous for the best restaurants in the world. I have traveled quite a bit and would have to agree (accept Albania and Morocco, they blow us away by far)

What more do you need?

We also have some pretty amazing cultural and ethnic diversity, more than I have seen in any other city actually.

We have community centers every square 10 blocks or so... which have... well for example over 200 various martial arts classes this term! They also have classes in the various arts, fitness, dance, pottery, languages, computers, and etc. (low income folks get half price everything at these too)

Oh speaking of martial arts, this is both good and bad, but we have a LOT of martial arts teaches and schools here. I compiled a list once of TWENTY Bagua teachers in our city! (OK so the fact I wouldn't train with 17 of them shouldn't matter right? ;) )

The forested hiking trails are also truly awesome, and a not too long of a bus ride from the city center. Oh hell we even have some right in the city, Stanley Park, but I prefer mountains myself.

The town is also very exercise and fitness crazed, so we have many resources for this, and it is social acceptable to go jogging in the snow at 3am if one so chooses!

Lots of good music from here and comes here as well. We just pretend that Bryan Adams was really american.

We also have a rather large gay community, and it is well accepted, generally with an open mind.

The arts are so well thought of here, they receive a LOT of city funding for events year round.

And we have many, many, many bike lanes and routes. Fortunately our mayor is an avid cyclist. Oh and he got a pretty awesome recycling and composting program in here too.

• Like 2

Yurts available for rent all over the west. Or buy a small piece of land and buy one! Cheaper ones are only a few thousand.

Some of my friends in Idaho live in one year round. Another friend sets one up near a ski hill every winter in Montana and stays there over weekends, or for a couple weeks at a time.

It's nice around here. You can rent old forest service cabins in the winter, or yurts. Some you have to ski into, others you can drive up to. None have electricity or running water, most are wood stove heat.

And you can rent fire lookouts that aren't staffed anymore in the summer.

The great thing about it all, the backpacking, camping, lookouts, yurts and cabins, is that it makes you feel like royalty but it's all dirt cheap. Of course not the kind of royalty with servants and clean sheets...but experience and scenery, yes.

Next TTBs meetup YOUR town!? ;) lol

• Like 1

I live in Zacatecas, Mexico. We've got the best gorditas and not much else. Fortunately, I find that a good gordita is all a person really needs.

Liminal

• Like 7

I have 3 friends that traveled to canada and think or have been thinking about settle down there because of the nature and the people. So... be proud :)

• Like 2

South Bay, CA.

Today is blissfully foggy and 50 degrees.

post-103196-0-22177100-1389205039_thumb.jpg

edit: I grew up in Minnesota...

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 4

Everyone who comes to visit me, wants to relocate! :) Though it might have just be the spring rolls with Aksijaha. Or the book exchange little boxes on a pole throughout the neighborhood perhaps...

Since I work for myself, I can live anywhere in the world, but choose here. However I might make a move to a more remote area (but near here) at some point.

• Like 1

I live here.

DSM-Skyline1.jpg

Grew up here:

IMG_0313.JPG

10 degrees right now. Not too bad. The wind was making it feel much colder the past couple of days.

• Like 4

Good, find your place is as much important as find yourself ! I moved many times in france to find somwhere I'm fine (many special stuff here but nothing extraordinary). I understood how ugly was the place I grew up many years after I left it !

• Like 1

Gonna be over 40 today and hit 60 on Saturday. Weather here is just an entertaining change of pace.

Mt. Mitchell, on the other hand, just has variations of coldness:

http://www.nc-climate.ncsu.edu/cronos/?station=MITC

:D

I was through there years ago. I have ancestral roots (1800's) in NC and Tennessee. Beautiful country. What you call mountains are just foothills compared to the Rocky Mountains out here. :lol:

Edited by ralis
  • Like 1

I live in Zacatecas, Mexico. We've got the best gorditas and not much else. Fortunately, I find that a good gordita is all a person really needs.

Liminal

So, gordita means fat woman, right? It's a good solution for THAT problem.

I currently live in the Phoenix metro area. It's got some great metro hiking areas like South Mountain and Piestewa Peak. The finest cigar factory in the world was in Scottsdale until about two months ago; I cried the day after we had to tear down the factory and move everything out. Also the poetry community is quite exceptional.

I'm in Phoenix too. Hike North Mtn park regularly. I recently inherited a house in Sedona, where I grew up.

• Like 1

I recently inherited a house in Sedona, where I grew up.

I have visited that town twice entering from the Northeast. Yeah, that's going over the mountain on the gravel trail.

• Like 1

I'm in Phoenix too. Hike North Mtn park regularly. I recently inherited a house in Sedona, where I grew up.

The 'Siphon Draw' trail in the Superstitions is a fantastic hike!

The 'Siphon Draw' trail in the Superstitions is a fantastic hike!

I hiked up in those mountains once, it is really nice up there.