Sign in to follow this  
silent thunder

you're making your point, but then, it's weaker than it could be

Some claim that German lends itself to writing academic philosophy better than English does.

More and subtler nuances.

The language of :

German - Engineering.

French - Love.

Farsi - Poetry.

Italian - Passion.

English - Commerce.

and ......

The language of :

German - Engineering.

French - Love.

Farsi - Poetry.

Italian - Passion.

English - Commerce.

and ......

Russian -- Mystery

Chinese -- History

Hebrew -- Philosophy

Hmmm ... I would have said;

Hebrew - Law.

Greek - Philosophy.

and add

Avestan - Society.

Bundgalung - Myth. ( my favourite Bungalung word; Stars : 'Ooo-ahh' )

and I might group Gaelic and Icelandic together.

Its interesting to listen to Farsi, occasional recognisable words pop up that they have no equivalent (?) for ... like:

" ....... ( Farsi) .... ....... ............ refrigerator ...... ...... ................. machine ...... .......... "

They dont have a word for 'machine' ? ? ? .

• Like 2

Hmmm ... I would have said;

Hebrew - Law.

Greek - Philosophy.

and add

Avestan - Society.

Bundgalung - Myth. ( my favourite Bungalung word; Stars : 'Ooo-ahh' )

and I might group Gaelic and Icelandic together.

Its interesting to listen to Farsi, occasional recognisable words pop up that they have no equivalent (?) for ... like:

" ....... ( Farsi) .... ....... ............ refrigerator ...... ...... ................. machine ...... .......... "

Well, a cliché is a cliché I suppose, of course all of those attributions are both true and false. :) I guess we could also say,

Italian -- Commerce (banking in the modern sense began in medieval Florence, Venice, Genoa, and Sienna)

English -- Mystery (there's a school of thought ascribing the origin of the language of Angles to Angels)

Chinese -- Philosophy ( the Greeks learned from the Arabs who learned from the Chinese)

and so on.

Here's a fun word I know: hydzhybdztsleyki. The "ts" in the middle is really a little explosion in the throat. That's the Karachay-Balkar-Chegem for "girl."

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 1

I purposely leave out the apostrophe in youre just to confuse people

I love that ' grocer's apostrophe'.

Saw this one yesterday outside a shop in town.....

" Lettuce's 35p"

:)

• Like 2

I love that ' grocer's apostrophe'. Saw this one yesterday outside a shop in town..... " Lettuce's 35p" :)

them's lettuce's gettin rich! :lol:

• Like 1

Well, a cliché is a cliché I suppose, of course all of those attributions are both true and false. :)

Thats the fun :)

I guess we could also say,

Italian -- Commerce (banking in the modern sense began in medieval Florence, Venice, Genoa, and Sienna)

English -- Mystery (there's a school of thought ascribing the origin of the language of Angles to Angels)

Oh ... please dont start that fallen arches, angels, angles thing again :D

Chinese -- Philosophy ( the Greeks learned from the Arabs who learned from the Chinese)

Do tell .... or do you know of a good link ?

and so on.

Here's a fun word I know: hydzhybdztsleyki. The "ts" in the middle is really a little explosion in the throat. That's the Karachay-Balkar-Chegem for "girl."

No ... I'm not going there ... I do have limits . :ph34r:

• Like 1

I love that ' grocer's apostrophe'. Saw this one yesterday outside a shop in town..... " Lettuce's 35p" :)

Short for ; A lettuce is 35 p

There is a word for refrigerator ; Yak - chawl ... but it isnt a machine, has no moving parts nor emissions or fuel (except water) to run it, it is an 'ice house' .... so maybe thats why they use the modern word ?

(These guys had ice cream before we had toilets )

http://www.heritageinstitute.com/zoroastrianism/yazd/page2.htm

Nungali if someone uses "masheen" in Farsi they are typically referring to an automobile.

Same thing in Russian -- mashina.

And for anything huge or cumbersome -- makhina. Both of the same Latin origin -- machina. This, in its turn, from Ancient Greek μαχανά (makhaná, “machine, tool”), Doric spelling of μηχανή (mēkhanḗ), from which we have mechanic, mechanism, etc.

And, oh, machination, of course, which the dictionary defines as "a scheming or crafty action or artful design intended to accomplish some usually evil end."

Edited by Taomeow

Ahh! Thanks for that.

Supposim dispella wok bihaus sic ... no?

pidgin_english_spinal_check_poster-r4d3b

... and dont forget to come back and check them again after 20 mins.

Dispella ime woori maybe spinal block ime buggerimup, ime fuckimarse?

• Like 1

Dispella Ime savvy liclic tokboi .... ?

(I understand a little bit of New Guinea Pidgin ... this fellow - him he does - understand - a little bit of - Pidgin English from New Guinea - they call it tokboi as it is the way 'boys' talk ... that is ; White Australian; " Boy! Get my bags ... Boy! Clean up my mess."

yes ... buggerimup is a real word ... if you are a person that continually bugerimup ... then you are a fuckimarse.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this