Is the earth round/spherical?

Earth Shape  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Earth Round?

• Yes
    • No

But some of us are drips.

Thanks Marblehead,

My uncle used to say a lot of things,could mention him again.

"Oh an expert, well that's a drip under pressure."

• Like 3

Thanks Marblehead,

My uncle used to say a lot of things,could mention him again.

"Oh an expert, well that's a drip under pressure."

I hope your uncle is famous -- this is lapidary!  Permission asked to borrow. 

So far, I've been using the line from a Russian classic:

"An expert is similar to a tooth abscess -- his fullness is one-sided."  

• Like 2

I hope your uncle is famous -- this is lapidary!  Permission asked to borrow. 

So far, I've been using the line from a Russian classic:

"An expert is similar to a tooth abscess -- his fullness is one-sided."  

Thanks Taomeow,

Sadly my uncle is no longer with us,his name was Carm Russi.

Permission granted.

• Like 2

Do you think yourself superior in some way to others?

he may not as he a modest guy ( so I will say it for him) ... but he certainly was a superior over others ... and his influence probably saved many of their lives later  due to his position and influence . 

"Thank you Sargent Sir !  Mission completed and back safe with my family now Sir ! "

Salute_460x306px.jpg?h=299&mh=299&mw=460

• Like 2

It might not be that bad for you at all Moonie , to  find some worth  in the 'superior' viewpoint of those with a tad more experience  than your yourself .

She sounds confident.

Exactly when are you going to stop believing this utter nonsense? From my reading, long term exposure is fatal without adequate shielding. However, the Apollo mission capsule was only in the belt for a short time.

https://www.quora.com/Has-man-ever-crossed-the-van-Allen-radiation-belt-safely

Good: Kaysing's exact words in the program are ``Any human being traveling through the van Allen belt would have been rendered either extremely ill or actually killed by the radiation within a short time thereof.''

This is complete and utter nonsense. The van Allen belts are regions above the Earth's surface where the Earth's magnetic field has trapped particles of the solar wind. An unprotected man would indeed get a lethal dose of radiation, if he stayed there long enough. Actually, the spaceship traveled through the belts pretty quickly, getting past them in an hour or so. There simply wasn't enough time to get a lethal dose, and, as a matter of fact, the metal hull of the spaceship did indeed block most of the radiation. For a detailed explanation of all this, my fellow Mad Scientist William Wheaton has a page with the technical data about the doses received by the astronauts. Another excellent page about this, that also gives a history of NASA radiation testing, is from the Biomedical Results of Apollo site. An interesting read!

It was also disingenuous of the program to quote the Russian cosmonaut as well. Of course they were worried about radiation before men had gone into the van Allen belts! But tests done by NASA showed that it was possible to not only survive such a passage, but to not even get harmed much by it. It looks to me like another case of convenient editing by the producers of the program.

Exactly when are you going to stop believing this utter nonsense? From my reading, long term exposure is fatal without adequate shielding. However, the Apollo mission capsule was only in the belt for a short time.

https://www.quora.com/Has-man-ever-crossed-the-van-Allen-radiation-belt-safely

I find it strange that NASA is trying to build crafts for manned missions to get past the belt. 

If they could just get by in for a short time, like they say, why would they be putting so much effort into researching ways to get through it for manned missions. 

I find it strange that NASA is trying to build crafts for manned missions to get past the belt. 

If they could just get by in for a short time, like they say, why would they be putting so much effort into researching ways to get through it for manned missions. 

Show me a NASA link. The technology is much different these days and more advanced.

Show me a NASA link. The technology is much different these days and more advanced.

The title of this video is misleading, but the video itself is Nasa. 

My friend believes that tests done to confirm the roundness of earth actually fail.

People can look at far away distances that they should not be able to if the earth was round

Remember that the medium that they are using to see with, can bend, reflect and refract.

The title of this video is misleading, but the video itself is Nasa. 

The engineer never stated what the title of the video suggests. I suggest a little reading and application of critical analysis. Otherwise, your posts are classified as trolling.

http://www.amazon.com/Critical-Thinking-Introduction-Analytical-Reasoning/dp/019979622X/ref=sr_1_11?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1447384927&sr=1-11&keywords=critical+thinking

The engineer never stated what the title of the video suggests. I suggest a little reading and application of critical analysis. Otherwise, your posts are classified as trolling.

http://www.amazon.com/Critical-Thinking-Introduction-Analytical-Reasoning/dp/019979622X/ref=sr_1_11?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1447384927&sr=1-11&keywords=critical+thinking

I said that before the post dude. 

• Like 1

The Van Allen belt was a big concern, that's why we (& Russia) sent up animals for testing.

It occurs to me that we'll never see a map from the Flat Earthers.  Pictures, yes, but a real map that has a distance legend in it saying how many (100's of) miles per inch .  I don't think it exists or ever will.  The simple fact is there picture of flat earth distorts the south half.  The distance between say Peru and say Australia is too far.  Southern land masses and oceans are distorted.   Too much ocean below and the Antarctic has coast thats circles the entire globe, waay too big. 

Please let me know if I'm wrong.  Is there a flat earth map that is detailed and has a distance Legend? 

Mankind has learned so much about our universe.  The sad thing is flat earthers are stuck at 'the sun is a giant spot light' whereas scientists have answered the age and make up and physics of the sun decades ago and moving on to understand the size, make up and complexity of our universe, using all the tools that various branches of science offers.  

There are wondrous projects going on that delve deeply into seeing and explaining our complex universe.  New questions and cutting edge answers are being found.    Can you even ask 'what is the sun made of?' in flat earth theory or what is the nearest star, what is it like?   Do they even comprehend some of our 'stars' are actually galaxies? 

No they're trapped in a view that's 1,000 year past.  That's bad because it can be a dangerous universe.  There are asteroids that can destroy us.  We've studied them, are tracking them, even landed a probe one.  Such study can literally save all life on earth, eventually. 

That spotlight called the Sun, it goes through long cycles, some of which spit out million mile flaress that can knock out our electronics, putting our tech back to the late 1800's.  That would mean death and starvation for millions.  Such a flare missed us by two weeks a year ago.   Thankfully we are studying the sun, have specific satellite probes measuring and hopefully will find ways to anticipate and protect our civilization from them.  

To dismiss NASA and modern science as a hoax is dangerous.  The proper use of the scientific method  creates an environment for growth, better understanding and the wonders we take for granted like air travel, the computer we're using now, and the internet. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 3

Remember that the medium that they are using to see with, can bend, reflect and refract.

Does it? Or does it appear to do that?

ninja_table_tennis_by_dunasmelly.jpg

Does all the flat earth rubbish prove anything ?  Or does it just appear * to prove something. 

* The big issue here is your proclivity ....   You are very swayed towards the irrational ... on multiple levels .... a more worthwhile exercise ( than continually posting links to silly theories, or a clip with a title you like that doesnt actually have that content, or vids from some internut ) may just be for you to look at why your proclivity is what it is ? 

• Like 1

ninja_table_tennis_by_dunasmelly.jpg

Does all the flat earth rubbish prove anything ?  Or does it just appear * to prove something. 

* The big issue here is your proclivity ....   You are very swayed towards the irrational ... on multiple levels .... a more worthwhile exercise ( than continually posting links to silly theories, or a clip with a title you like that doesnt actually have that content, or vids from some internut ) may just be for you to look at why your proclivity is what it is ? 

He's been offered several ways to find out for himself without needing to travel or build a drone or use calculus. He hasn't shown any interest.

You seem to change your pile of suppositions any time you are are challenged.

• Like 1

You seem to change your pile of suppositions any time you are are challenged.

life is a learning experience. it's a journey, not a destination. 

• Like 2

life is a learning experience. it's a journey, not a destination. 

You should be on Consciousness TV.

• Like 1