Sign in to follow this  
dawei

Past & Current Events and Politics Thread - 2017

This thread is intended to just discuss current events... not pundits predictions so much and not doomsday forecasts of what is to come...   Stick to what just occurred in the news... if you want to discuss it.

ok... I'll start.   Ford cancelled their plans to build in mexico...   They've talked about this being about what changes Trump might bring to businesses.   This seems current, good news for Ford, the US, and Trump.    Whether it is good in the long run is to be seen.    

A wait and see approach is much healthier than worrying oneself before it is time to worry. Take the next 15 days and relax, you've the next 4 years to stay in a tizzy.

I'm no Trump fan, but I'm taking this approach.  To get too hyper partisan is to make yourself half blind. 

There will be some interesting dynamics going on in the new administration.  I hope they have the good sense to be less partisan, more dogmatic and carefully study the myriad unintended consequences of there actions.   We shall see. 

• Like 3

I'm no Trump fan, 

That is part of what I hoped to get at with this thread. we can lay aside our fan base issues.... and just look at the current events.

I don't care who is president... I only care what is happening during the presidency.

I don't mean we won't disagree... .but the point is   Comment on what is actually happening.

maybe we need an example I don't really hope to see...

"Trump tweeted GM will be taxed if they don't keep jobs in US... this is crazy, etc".

THis is just a tweet... there is no real outcome...   comment on actual policy or business actions or issues of action...

• Like 2

I'm no Trump fan, but I'm taking this approach.  To get too hyper partisan is to make yourself half blind. 

There will be some interesting dynamics going on in the new administration.  I hope they have the good sense to be less partisan, more dogmatic and carefully study the myriad unintended consequences of there actions.   We shall see. 

I don't wont to comment directly on American political events but it seems to me from the little I gleam of world events that this new style of politics is less about studying consequences and more about acting from instinct. This can be a good thing - it all depends on the de of the people involved. That's the spontaneity of Daoism in action. After all, no one can predict the whole chain of myriad consequences from any action. (Note the power of the butterfly effect for instance.) However, my reading of the American psyche - and indeed most of mainstream world politics - is that it's very much out of harmony with Dao.  

I think America is leading the way in this as in so many things. Like Leonard Cohen wrote: "It's coming to America first, the cradle of the best and the worst."

Edited by Yueya
  • Like 2

Ok... I changed the title to be more an open political discussion without having to create a new thread...  

Here is what I'm mulling... so I finally did some review to get some data points on dates... on the hacking of the DNC and J.P.

Summer 2015 - some activity of hacking of DNC likely started

Sept 2015 - FBI tells DNC they were hacked

March 2016 - J.P  had phishing attack

By Sept. 2015, there were still 14 republicans running...  and by March 2016, it was Trump vs Rubio vs Cruz ... and Hillary and Sanders.

I'm not seeing that hacking thought, back in the summer of 2015... we have to help Trump...

I think likely they just thought, let's nail Hillary with whatever we can get as she'll be the next president for sure...

They hacked the DNC to show that Hillary was shafting Bernie - her nomination was rigged.  So its quite right she lost in a way.

The phishing scam just released John Podestas emails to Wikileaks - well you'd think he'd be careful what he writes would you - and also be savvy enough not to get caught by phishing.

Q.  How many threads do we have about Trump and the election?

They hacked the DNC to show that Hillary was shafting Bernie - her nomination was rigged. So its quite right she lost in a way.

The phishing scam just released John Podestas emails to Wikileaks - well you'd think he'd be careful what he writes would you - and also be savvy enough not to get caught by phishing.

Q. How many threads do we have about Trump and the election?

A. A huge number of them. So many you won't believe it.
  • Like 1

They hacked the DNC to show that Hillary was shafting Bernie - her nomination was rigged.  So its quite right she lost in a way.

They did not hack it to show any shafting... that would assume they thought there was shafting... what evidence do we have they knew there was shafting going on ?  

I'm seeing it is impossible to talk any of this...

Maybe we need to make it more clear...

This new area is about more freedom of discussion and more free of censorship.

I would ask those who want to censor speech to proclaim that in other forum areas.

They did not hack it to show any shafting... that would assume they thought there was shafting... what evidence do we have they knew there was shafting going on ?  

I'm seeing it is impossible to talk any of this...

I phrased it badly is all.  OK they hacked the DNC which had the result of exposing what was exposed.

Maybe we need to make it more clear...

This new area is about more freedom of discussion and more free of censorship.

I would ask those who want to censor speech to proclaim that in other forum areas.

Who wants to censor speech? Not me.  I was just suggesting we are going over old ground which appears in some other threads is all.

• Like 1

I once had a boss who often said no dead horse is too dead to beat.

:ninja:

• Like 2

Who wants to censor speech? Not me.  I was just suggesting we are going over old ground which appears in some other threads is all.

It's an existing thread for political talk... not a new one.   And frankly, I thought my post was more serious in considering an issue I've been thinking about... I'm not just spouting off stuff...  but maybe I should just do that instead and then everyone accepts that as it is in other threads?

I'm not sure what people are thinking about this area but we're getting reports too... if folks can't handle the topic or talk, they really just need to stay out of this area.    I thought this was explained in the pinned topics.

If you're just it saying in jest... well yes, it was expected that this would end up with more banter about politics and who knows where it will end... but the point of the area is to not care so much about the topic or topics and just let folks talk.   So far, it seems the most active forum and that aside, the main goal was to get such talk 'private

If there are recommendations for the area, then we can discuss in Tech area... but I'm not sure "less" is a recommendation... folks are allowed to unwind here on topics... we'll see how much steam it maintains through four years  :ph34r:

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this