liminal_luke

The Human Cost of Talking Trump

But then if we realize that what we think has no effect on reality we tend to not take our self too seriously.

6 minutes ago, Jeff said:

I see even our admin could not do it... :D

I have *cough*cough* a job to *cough*cough* to do here *cough*cough*...   :P

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dawei said:

I have *cough*cough* a job to *cough*cough* to do here *cough*cough*...   :P

So far you are doing pretty good.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

But then if we realize that what we think has no effect on reality we tend to not take our self too seriously.

reality... self... loaded words.... claiming an effect or no effect...  you're really complicating serious things here :D

• Like 1

Just now, dawei said:

reality... self... loaded words.... claiming an effect or no effect...  you're really complicating serious things here :D

Just doing my job.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Just doing my job.

So far you are doing pretty good.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ralis said:

Is Joe B going to slide on this one? Or, will the mods continue to enable?

I thought we were using a thread to talk the human cost of talking Trump...

Is this now the human cost of talking JB ?   :rolleyes:

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Ouch... To me it is statements like this which keep the infections alive. In that simple statement, you have stirred the pot again...

Trump is nothing if not a propagandist.

His campaign was deeply rooted in fear and generated enormous malice on both sides.

These are objective facts.

If observing that is stirring the pot, I'm guilty as charged.

I'll gladly disengage now.

Hopefully that will break the cycle...

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, dawei said:

The JB anti-Semitic remarks started this ruckus. However, you seem to not take seriously the rhetoric posited by several individuals here, includes JB. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ralis said:

Is Joe B going to slide on this one? Or, will the mods continue to enable?

Slide on what? Your issue from yesterday was handled, maybe not to your liking, but it was handled.

Is there something else you have a specific issue with? If so, report it.

For all of you people who seem to think the mods enable members or ignore reports, you are sorely mistaken. We review, research and discuss everything, extensively. The mod team has guideline that were laid out before us that we are to adhere to. Lively debate is encouraged, and just because we may disagree with a person's stance on a topic does not make them some kind of -ist. The mod team are not the spiritual practice police, the thought police, nor are we required to do the bidding of members who believe themselves to be superior thinkers, practitioners, or of a higher moral character than others. If anything, other than slandered and unappreciated, I would call TDB staff servants of civility.

In the eyes of TDB, every member is equal. If there are any questions about this statement, I refer you to The Dao Bums' Three Foundations: Eclectic, Egalitarian, Civil.

3 minutes ago, ralis said:

The JB anti-Semitic remarks started this ruckus. However, you seem to not take seriously the rhetoric posited by several individuals here, includes JB. 

No, the OP of this thread had nothing to do with joeblast. You are mistaken.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, dawei said:

Well, sure, going off topic is almost always a good way to cause a pause.  How was it said?  The gap between thoughts.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ralis said:

The thread was started about Brian and Taomeow leaving...  in neither case was JB involved.  

He joined this conversation.. as did you.. and others. 

Isn't that what a 'discussion' is all about ?

I take seriously that folks are allowed to share their point of view, but I also can see when folks claim others comments are not what they said.   I accept that each has his own understanding. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, ralis said:

I put the extremists on ignore and it all continued. 

I think everyone working together as a team could do it. Everyone would just need to let it all go and stop. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jeff said:

I think everyone working together as a team could do it. Everyone would just need to let it all go and stop. 

Of course, I could always hide the thread and piss everyone off.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, dawei said:

The thread was started about Brian and Taomeow leaving...  in neither case was JB involved.  

This is correct.  I am sad that both Brian and Taomeow appear to have left the TDB over interpersonal Trump Talk drama.  I`d rather have the Trump Talk thread gone -- and those members back.  Not that that would happen.  In some parallel universe the Trump Thread never happened and those two members are still sharing their wisdom.  I find that parallel universe preferable to this one, so full of needless drama.  

Other Bums have spoken up to say they disagree with my position.  They say that there`s value in free discussion and if people get bent out of shape and leave in the process then so be it.  They say that I can`t control how this happens and shouldn`t try.  Clearly they are right about the can`t control part.

LL

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 4

Yes, it is sad when we get so involved in discussions that it reaches all the way to our core beliefs and then the discussion becomes emotional and personal.  We have had members leave because of only one thread where they got emotionally involved.

That's actually why I stopped reading the Trump Talk thread.  I felt myself getting emotionally involved and it was effecting how I was reacting in other threads as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Of course, I could always hide the thread and piss everyone off.

BTW  No, I don't have the power or authority to do that.  It was just one of my random thoughts.  And come to think about it, most of my thoughts are random.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

I`d rather have the Trump Talk thread gone -- and those members back.

I want them back, too! Still have no idea which comments caused either of them to leave; I only pop into that thread now and then.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

This is correct.  I am sad that both Brian and Taomeow appear to have left the TDB over interpersonal Trump Talk drama.  I`d rather have the Trump Talk thread gone -- and those members back. 

There is a lot to agree with in this...  I hope you don't think staff is trying to downplay it.   We can personally miss certain folks, and wish circumstances played out differently, etc... and wish we might of then posted to diffuse something too... but lets not get caught up in whether it was our responsibility or not, but rather, how can we see that each is growing and moving. 

Just to touch on an issue that I know Taomeow holds in high regard...  can't we just respect each other or show more respect to one another...  I think she is 100% correct in the inquiry... but we showed we are not there yet...  that last mention is the issue...

I appreciate the thread.  :)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Aetherous said:

I want them back, too! Still have no idea which comments caused either of them to leave; I only pop into that thread now and then.

I mentioned in my previous post about respect... and I think that is what played out... as disrespect.   Folks took something personal and then wanted a retraction or apology, etc.    I think in both cases, they were right in their feeling but the offending person didn't want to offer it...  I can also accept their disagreement as that is their decision to do something or not.

You were right in your comments earlirt...  this is an opportunity for cultivation.... if one feels they require such a thing.  But If you freely flow, then there is no need for anything but the next step you take on your journey.

• Like 1

"`l'd rather have the Trump Talk thread gone -- and those members back". 

And what happens when you would rather have the thread stay and the members gone.

One might want to understand their own attachments, what they are, mean, and are based on.  After all this is a site, dedicated to the introspection of oneself and belief systems that facilitate it, as some have said..

Edited by windwalker

58 minutes ago, Kar3n said:

Slide on what? Your issue from yesterday was handled, maybe not to your liking, but it was handled.

Is there something else you have a specific issue with? If so, report it.

For all of you people who seem to think the mods enable members or ignore reports, you are sorely mistaken. We review, research and discuss everything, extensively. The mod team has guideline that were laid out before us that we are to adhere to. Lively debate is encouraged, and just because we may disagree with a person's stance on a topic does not make them some kind of -ist. The mod team are not the spiritual practice police, the thought police, nor are we required to do the bidding of members who believe themselves to be superior thinkers, practitioners, or of a higher moral character than others. If anything, other than slandered and unappreciated, I would call TDB staff servants of civility.

In the eyes of TDB, every member is equal. If there are any questions about this statement, I refer you to The Dao Bums' Three Foundations: Eclectic, Egalitarian, Civil.

No, the OP of this thread had nothing to do with joeblast. You are mistaken.

Why not tone it down and stop addressing persons here as if they are children. This site is anything but egalitarian, but has become a refuge for extremists to spout their divisiveness. Your statement from the past that made the claim that if everyone has their say, it will be healing, quite the contrary is what I see. 

• Like 1

"Impermanence and Attachment

As long as there is attachment to things that are
unstable, unreliable, changing and impermanent,
there will be suffering –"

Sounds like there's a lot of suffering going on here

• Like 1

"According to Buddhism, everything in human life, all objects, as well as all beings whether in heavenly or hellish or earthly realms in Buddhist cosmology, is always changing, inconstant, undergoes rebirth and redeath (Samsara).[10][11] 

This impermanence is a source of Dukkha. This is in contrast to nirvana, the reality that is Nicca, or knows no change, decay or death.[2]"

The "dukkha" is strong here  :mellow:

Edited by windwalker