SirPalomides

Paintings you like

4 hours ago, Lois said:

1tf063_33c882f43b05664b7ae7d06dde2712f5788ce8ae.jpg

Of all artificially created myths pertaining to tobacco smoking, this one is the most innocent.

AI is still in its age of innocence.    

In case anyone thought surrealism was invented in the 20th century...

Giuseppe Arcimboldo, The Librarian, 1566

May be art

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 27/2/2023 at 4:24 AM, Taomeow said:

Of all artificially created myths pertaining to tobacco smoking, this one is the most innocent.

Artificially-created portrait of Salvador Dalí.

IMG-0263.jpg

Portrait of Marie Joséphine Charlotte du Val d'Ognes (1801)

Artist: Marie-Denise Villers

Art movement: Neoclassicism

IMG-0281.jpg

La Gioconda

What's really behind your smile Lisa Gherardini?

Author: Leonardo da Vinci

Art period: Renaissance

Timeline: 1503-1505 possibly to 1517

Qualities:

-Subject's enigmatic expression

-Monumentality of the composition

-Subtle modelling of forms

-Atmospheric illusionism

Edited by Gerard

26 minutes ago, Gerard said:

She is pleased to have arranged that Leonardo was funded for various works

IMG-0285.jpg

Barge-Haulers on the Volga

Author: Ilia Repin

Art period: Realism

Timeline: 1873

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Feng shui advice for paintings to hang in one's home is different from what you may admire in a museum or at an art exhibition.  No dark bloody themes, no chaos, no sadness, outrage, etc..  It has to be calming, uplifting, inspiring, or funny.  My latest decision was in favor of funny, so I ordered a print of this painting -- Diving Pig, by Michael Sowa:

(20x28) Michael Sowa Diving Pig Kohler's Schwein Art Print Poster

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2023 at 9:33 PM, Gerard said:

IMG-0281.jpg

La Gioconda

Author: Leonardo da Vinci

Art period: Renaissance

Timeline: 1503-1505 possibly to 1517

Qualities:

-Subject's enigmatic expression

-Monumentality of the composition

-Subtle modelling of forms

-Atmospheric illusionism

Isleworth Mona Lisa
270px-Isleworthml.JPG
Year Early sixteenth-century
Medium Oil on canvas
Subject Lisa Gherardini
Dimensions 84.5 cm × 64.5 cm (33.3 in × 25.4 in)
Location Private collection, Switzerland

The Isleworth Mona Lisa is an early 16th-century oil on canvas painting depicting the same subject as Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa, though with the subject (Lisa del Giocondo) depicted as being a younger age.[1] The painting is thought to have been brought from Italy to England in the 1780s,[1] and came into public view in 1913 when the English connoisseur Hugh Blaker acquired it from a manor house in Somerset, where it was thought to have been hanging for over a century.[2] The painting would eventually adopt its unofficial name of Isleworth Mona Lisa from Blaker's studio being in Isleworth, West London.[3] Since the 1910s, experts in various fields, as well as the collectors who have acquired ownership of the painting, have asserted that the major elements of the painting are the work of Leonardo himself, as an earlier version of the Mona Lisa.[4]

Me> Some believe it to be a genuine DaVinci, but its controversial.  Dating from the early 1500s and DaVinci died in 1519, and had made sketches of his Mona Lisa.  This painting shows much talent and is certainly the same model, often described as younger and perhaps happier than his original.   

edit> An interesting point of the original Mona Lisa is the background is a river that DaVinci built a notable bridge over.  The Isleworth ML the background is.. strange, I have no idea what the black blochy, rorschach image on her left shoulder is.  To me it makes it less likely to be original.  

Artists have been making sketches and copies of the Mona Lisa since it was made, even in DaVinci's time.  

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 2

Nice paintings guys, except for using the subject of pig in those surroundings. The atmosphere has been captured with exquisite balance even the tones are in the darker side. 

About the Da Vinci painting. Very controversial indeed. The owners will always claim authenticity largely based on the amount of money shelled out in its acquisition. 

The magical realism of Andrea Kowch. So she is a contemporary artist. Never heard of her before. I can see she was born in 1986. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

Nice paintings guys, except for using the subject of pig in those surroundings. The atmosphere has been captured with exquisite balance even the tones are in the darker side. 

Just another landscape painting, however nice, wouldn't amaze and amuse me as much as this one did when I saw it for the first time.  It was the first work by Michael Sowa I came across, and was delighted to subsequently find out that he is famous for humorous renditions of animals in his paintings.  This is one tradition that is very close to my heart, mostly (though not exclusively) Japanese until Sowa -- just one kind of art I like a lot.  (There's an inimitable way Japanese artists have been depicting animals with a funny slant to the image since very long ago in art history.)  Besides, this pig painting fits the bill for ALL of feng shui requirements I mentioned --it is calming, uplifting, inspiring, and funny.

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

The magical realism of Andrea Kowch. So she is a contemporary artist. Never heard of her before. I can see she was born in 1986. 

Yes, contemporary, and very interesting IMO.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Taomeow said:

wouldn't amaze and amuse me as much as this one did when I saw it for the first time.

Kind of a dash of yang in a yin environment. I know what you mean. 

• Like 1

Mother of the World - Матерь Мира (Mater' Mira) - Nicholas Roerich (1924).jpg

Mother of the World / Матерь Мира (Mater' Mira) by Nicholas Roerich (1924)

Edited by 心神 ~
  • Like 3
  • Wow 1