SirPalomides

Paintings you like

I honestly don't know much about it from the artist's perspective. I read that he was a philosopher and theosophist deeply influenced by Russian symbolism, which emphasizes the spiritual through art. He's said to be well known in Russia for his efforts in art preservation.

He credited much of his work and inspiration to his wife, saying, "Together we created, and not without reason is it said that the work should bear two names - a masculine and feminine."

I found this interpretation of the painting online:

"Mother of the World is one of his [Roerich's] most optimistic pictures, because her very meaning implies the end of the Dark Era and the beginning of the Light.

On the throne from the mountains sits the Great Mother, which is that single feminine principle, which was called differently in different religions, but never forgetting. The Empress is the lasso of Tarot, symbolizing the mother. Virgin Mary is the Christian reflection of the mother.

Many pagan, ancient religions revered not a single creator, but a single goddess, who at the dawn of time gave birth to the world. It is this ancient archetype of the mother who gives, protects and embodies the Great Mother. Her face is hidden under the hood, but the lower part, visible to the viewer, impassive and similar in color to bronze, is lit up, which indicates the imminent onset of a happy, bright age and the upcoming discovery of knowledge.

The tunic of her free waves falls down, symbolizing order and harmony in everything that surrounds Mother. Behind her, in heaven, the Seven Elders and Three Mages are constellations, and between them rises in radiance and glory, just above Mother’s head, the morning star, which also portends joy for all.

Around the mountains serving the Mother as the throne, a river flows, symbolizing the endless river of life, nourishing itself. The fish swimming in it are people, their fates, seeking themselves in an endless stream."

Edited by 心神 ~
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, 心神 ~ said:

I honestly don't know much about it from the artist's perspective. I read that he was a philosopher and theosophist deeply influenced by Russian symbolism, which emphasizes the spiritual through art. He's said to be well known in Russia for his efforts in art preservation.

He credited much of his work and inspiration to his wife, saying, "Together we created, and not without reason is it said that the work should bear two names - a masculine and feminine."

I found this interpretation of the painting online:

"Mother of the World is one of his [Roerich's] most optimistic pictures, because her very meaning implies the end of the Dark Era and the beginning of the Light.

On the throne from the mountains sits the Great Mother, which is that single feminine principle, which was called differently in different religions, but never forgetting. The Empress is the lasso of Tarot, symbolizing the mother. Virgin Mary is the Christian reflection of the mother.

Many pagan, ancient religions revered not a single creator, but a single goddess, who at the dawn of time gave birth to the world. It is this ancient archetype of the mother who gives, protects and embodies the Great Mother. Her face is hidden under the hood, but the lower part, visible to the viewer, impassive and similar in color to bronze, is lit up, which indicates the imminent onset of a happy, bright age and the upcoming discovery of knowledge.

The tunic of her free waves falls down, symbolizing order and harmony in everything that surrounds Mother. Behind her, in heaven, the Seven Elders and Three Mages are constellations, and between them rises in radiance and glory, just above Mother’s head, the morning star, which also portends joy for all.

Around the mountains serving the Mother as the throne, a river flows, symbolizing the endless river of life, nourishing itself. The fish swimming in it are people, their fates, seeking themselves in an endless stream."

Well, thats my New background pic for my phone for sure. Breathtaking and great story 

• Like 1