Ajay0

Interesting correlation between God and light in major world religions

On 12/7/2020 at 2:25 PM, Michael Sternbach said:

However, there must be certain universal principles behind it all. For instance, whether I am subject to reincarnation cannot depend on me being a Buddhist or a Hindu.

The proof of 'oneness', as I see it, is that regardless of where you're born on the earth, there is a desire implanted in your heart for an understanding of something unseen, but undeniably universal as every society, to a person, has it.  Does a rock have a deep need to understand what (or who) it is?  I don't know.  But I know that we do, and that is no doubt what separates us from every other manifestation.  I'm convinced we all have the same soul, but separated by different conditionings.  When we self-realize, we find the connection in a very real way.  We appear to be the tip of the intelligence on this spectrum. 

Tag, you're It.

Edited by manitou
  • Like 1

On 07/12/2020 at 5:44 AM, Michael Sternbach said:

So in your view, all religions are indeed based on some kind of metaphysical reality, but of a different and highly specific kind in each case. Well, that opens up some interesting perspectives...

If I choose to be Christian, I am promised to be eternally leaning on Jesus' bosom - well, not really my kind of thing plus there is the considerable risk of being sent to an overheated place stinking of sulfur for all my sins. Nah, out of the question.

If I devote myself to Islam, especially if I sacrifice my life for its sake, I could be spending my afterlife in a beautiful place with several wives, which sounds kind of attractive at first, but when I come to think about it, this might just as well result in eternal suffering again - so no, thanks.

If I decide to be a Buddhist, that means I am in for an endless series of reincarnations, but hey, I enjoy being in physical reality, plus some of the other places that (especially Tibetan) Buddhists can go to don't sound so bad either, so yes, Buddhism seems to have much to offer in terms of future planning - all the way to well-deserved retirement by popping into oblivion, ultimately!

As a Daoist, my only path to an afterlife to speak of seems to necessitate turning myself into an immortal - which is a rather challenging task to be sure. However, as it seems in line with other things that I'm on to anyway, this option will deserve further consideration.

There are yet more scenarios to consider - that have turned into actual possibilities, now that my eyes have been opened! So thanks for that, Old3Bob, I feel like the proverbial kid in the candy store right now. :wub:

Alas, there is that pesky inner voice reminding me of the unlikelihood of every religion actually providing its own Heaven and Hell... I am afraid I am stuck with my previous view of all systems essentially representing aspects of a singular metaphysical reality. So I guess that's the world that actually awaits me - would you agree we call it the Eclectic Philosopher's Paradise?

7b4cc8c6ad91c80413b6a7c848755317.jpg

• Haha 4

On 12/7/2020 at 3:29 PM, manitou said:

I think it's also helpful to remember in this case, that linear time is an illusion.  We think of time as a separator, but it's actually all happening Now - our brains are formatted to receive it in small daily chunks.  

This is all a mind construct.

@manitou

I just finished reading a fun book called Recursion by Blake Crouch that I mentioned in another thread.

These concepts you mention are the foundation for the book - the illusory nature of linear time, the primacy of mind in establishing our reality, and so on. 

It's a thriller about a woman who builds a machine to capture and restore memory in hopes of helping her mother who is suffering from dementia. What she creates leads to unexpected and catastrophic consequences. Some of it is a bit speculative but I enjoyed the ride. You may want to check it out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Steve - but I'd never be able to follow it.  Sounds good though.  I can't follow a plot any more.