Posted (edited)

Cats Can Detect Cancer

We do know that cats are amazing creatures, but they are about to become even more amazing. Did you know that cats can detect cancer? There are several stories about adorable kitties who saved the life of their human companion because they were able to detect cancer.

One of those kitties is called Fidge. It kept jumping onto the chest of its owner, Wendy Humphrey, every night while she was sitting on the sofa. When Wendy went to the doctor, a pea-sized lump was discovered, and the doctor told her that it would have killed her eventually. In an interview with The Daily Mail, Wendy said "[Fidge] saved my life, definitely. No hesitation at all. I was told that if I hadn't been diagnosed when I was I could have died because of the hormones in the menopause."
Edited by old3bob
  • Like 1

Which felines do you see in the following pictures?

https://snowleopard.org/bright-spots-in-a-harsh-desert/

I was very surprised as wasn't expecting to find them in such a harsh location, which is known for being very arid, boasts extreme temperatures (40 deg. C in summer/-40 deg. C in winter) and has sparse vegetation.

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Dainin said:

That's great.

In the comments to that video I posted above, of Polish mountaineers encountering a cat on top of the country's highest mountain, someone wrote that this is not a domestic cat but, rather, a European Wildcat, thought to be extinct for a while but now supposedly spotted here and there.  I hope they're right.    

• Like 4

How about the jaguarundi? Is it really extinct in the USA?

IMG-1169.jpg

It looks like an otter! :)

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 1
  • Wow 1

I wonder if the following cat sometimes comes across the snow leopard in any of those remote mountains of Central Asia. Do they become instant friends? :lol:

Pallas cat. Not suitable as pets, it's a wild animal! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nungali said:

What happened to the lynx's tail ?

and while we're on the subject, what happened to ours?

Humans are supposed to descend from brachiators, and if I'm not overlooking some species I may have forgotten about, all of them have tails, and long, agile, flexible, muscular tails at that, to aid in tree climbing.  This is one thing we have in common with lynxes -- a built-in tree-climbing ability but no tail to aid the endeavor.  Solve the mystery of the lynx's tail, get a clue about how we lost ours?

(Just kidding.  I think alien geneticists snipped ours when redesigning our species, but the lynx is indeed a mystery.)  

• Like 2

I  miss my tail   :(

I have worn various tails at times ;  a little 'buck' tail in a 'pantomime '  ... the best kind is one casually drooping out the back out a hole in my pants , and walking around the local market  ( I look fine from the front )    ....  other times I wore a tail was .... ummmm  , better not mention that   :unsure: .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nungali said:

I  miss my tail   :(

I have worn various tails at times ;  a little 'buck' tail in a 'pantomime '  ... the best kind is one casually drooping out the back out a hole in my pants , and walking around the local market  ( I look fine from the front )    ....  other times I wore a tail was .... ummmm  , better not mention that   :unsure: .

I miss my tail too, and though I've never worn a costume tail or any kind that would be inappropriate to mention in public, I've had assorted imaginary tails.  I think in my early childhood I even remembered the prenatal tail, and engaged it in a game me and a friend used to play where we were squirrels.  And various taiji tails -- kangaroo, dragon, tiger, depending on the task.  The utility of the kangaroo tail in taiji "rooting" can't be overestimated.   

• Like 1

'

15 hours ago, Taomeow said:

I miss my tail too, and though I've never worn a costume tail or any kind that would be inappropriate to mention in public, I've had assorted imaginary tails.  I think in my early childhood I even remembered the prenatal tail, and engaged it in a game me and a friend used to play where we were squirrels.  And various taiji tails -- kangaroo, dragon, tiger, depending on the task.  The utility of the kangaroo tail in taiji "rooting" can't be overestimated.   

Its rather essential for a 'Coreeda'  double front  kick  ;) 

In scandinavia we only have one species, the gaupe. IMG_3246.thumb.jpeg.15f577c7e5ad8c497429dfeba51e3dee.jpeg

i read about the asiatic lion yesterday. Now it is limited to a resovar in gujarat, but historically it existed all the way to greece. Alexander the great hunted one in his youth. Here is an assyrian depiction of it (600bc):

IMG_3247.jpeg.ed97eadbb4b2b6ddd7d37790c88fb804.jpeg

The lion is also used on a whole lot of coat of arns in northern Europe. Problem is, most northren europeans have never seen one, so when the swedish king ordered one, they made it like this:

IMG_3248.jpeg.fda38a9760d5e283647002f88aa5f73a.jpeg

(1700s)

Here is a jaguar high on dmt: 

and here is a man facing a lion with toilet paper:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NaturaNaturans said:

In scandinavia we only have one species, the gaupe. IMG_3246.thumb.jpeg.15f577c7e5ad8c497429dfeba51e3dee.jpeg

What about this magnificent ball of fur?

Get to Know The Norwegian Forest Cats, One of The Most Majestic Creatures |  by Alma J. | Medium

Of course Norwegian Forest Cats don't hail from the forest these days.  But in the days of the vikings, they did, and are still going strong...  just not in the wild anymore.    

Same as Siberian cats, who are also officially called a similar name -- Siberian Forest Cats.  The two breeds are not that easy to tell apart without knowing what subtleties to look for, but one thing we can tell at a glance:  it's cold in the forests whence they came.    

Siberian Cat: Breed Profile, Characteristics, & Care

• Like 3