Just now, Giles said:

I've just stated that:

I know. :) 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, forestofemptiness said:

Swami S

Rupert Spira's sidekick. 🤣

1 hour ago, dwai said:

That is the power of traditional wisdom systems. 

I think this is something one has to unfortunately learn oneself. I remember in the early days of the Tao Bums the members were always on the lookout for the latest, greatest, easiest, and most powerful paths. Over time, it seems that most members who have developed insight seem to have ended up in more traditional systems. Others who didn't seem to have burned up or burned out. 

But I think we need to take a broader view of the path. A broader view includes side paths, false starts, errors, and just living life. These things are not a waste of time, but a part of a larger movement toward (in my opinion) inevitable realization. As the Gita notes, no effort is ever wasted. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, forestofemptiness said:

I think this is something one has to unfortunately learn oneself. I remember in the early days of the Tao Bums the members were always on the lookout for the latest, greatest, easiest, and most powerful paths. Over time, it seems that most members who have developed insight seem to have ended up in more traditional systems. Others who didn't seem to have burned up or burned out. 

True. 

56 minutes ago, forestofemptiness said:

But I think we need to take a broader view of the path. A broader view includes side paths, false starts, errors, and just living life. These things are not a waste of time, but a part of a larger movement toward (in my opinion) inevitable realization. As the Gita notes, no effort is ever wasted. 

Agreed. 

• Like 1

On 7/24/2024 at 6:21 PM, dwai said:

Oh, but I don’t think it is non-omnipresent

I think the source is omnipresent, but not necessarily the manifestation. I am tempted to go a step further and say, the source is omnipresent, but may manifest as either a fundamental tranquility or anxiety, depending on which way it goes. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It may be a Mass Consciousness of sorts, Mass Consciousness wouldn't be hurt by its own self limitation/suffering and even illumination of any state of Mass Consciousness doesn't really do anything.

There would probably even be resistance to Mass Consciousness being illuminated, what's probably painless to humans probably hurts a lot to a consciousness that is as fragile as its own self appearance.

Edited by Emaciated Ascetic

19 hours ago, forestofemptiness said:

may manifest as either a fundamental tranquility or anxiety, depending on which way it goe

What is the thought process of it manifesting as anxiety? I can see anxiety manifesting in the absence of it or if it suddenly becomes inaccessible. Is that what you mean?  

On 25/07/2024 at 8:12 PM, Giles said:

Rupert Spira's sidekick. 🤣

Apologies for any offence that I might have given, @forestofemptiness

I shouldn't have responded with haste but upon deeper reflection.

Unfortunately, I find Spira in particular and Shankara's disciples in general to be fundamentally mistaken.

Sorry.

_/|\_

11 hours ago, dwai said:

What is the thought process of it manifesting as anxiety? I can see anxiety manifesting in the absence of it or if it suddenly becomes inaccessible. Is that what you mean?  

I would say that anxiety is a natural manifestation of the innate potential of mind when it is ignorant of its own nature. Similarly, tranquility is a natural manifestation of the innate potential of mind when it recognizes its own nature. 

• Like 1

On 7/27/2024 at 6:06 AM, Giles said:

Unfortunately, I find Spira in particular and Shankara's disciples in general to be fundamentally mistaken.

That is a natural consequence when one “experiences” moksha :) 

• Haha 1