Trunk

Ren acupoints, Daoist Breathing, and Belly-Dancing

20 hours ago, dwai said:

P.S. another interesting thing to do is compress the ball while hovering over the dantiens or specific points on the meridians, and then let it expand back to previous size. The compression followed by the subsequent expansion creates a bellows like effect and activates/clears those points. 

That is more or less how Gift of The Tao II from Stillness Movement works except that the expansion is by opening hands up to Heaven. More effective I think plus the qi from Heaven is nice 😊

• Like 2

9 hours ago, dwai said:

My experiences point to something beyond the physical.

I agree. However, in my experience, it is usually taught without the physical parts. I think the physicalists go too far in denying the non-physical elements, but the vast majority of non-physicalists don't teach the physical parts at all (leading me to believe they never learned it or are withholding it). However, I would say 99% of all recorded qi type tricks are reducible physically (in part because the non-physical stuff wouldn't be apparent on film I would think, and must be experienced personally). 

9 hours ago, dwai said:

It’s like how we need some kind of mantra or ritual to facilitate a spiritual practice

I agree that this applies broadly. Here is my current, no doubt flawed and limited understanding: 

Practices can be understood as a matter of substance (what we're working with) and function (the method used). The substances are typically the three treasures, but can be pre- or post-heaven, and post-heaven can vary from more subtle to more gross. The functions are basically those with more you wei or more wu wei. Nearly everyone works with post-heaven treasures of some level, because it is difficult to fully penetrate to the essence. 

Toward one end, we have those who work with the grossest treasures and specific methods. These are the physicalists--- working primarily with the body--- modern Westerners for instance. Then we have those roughly classified (again, using post-heaven terminology) as working ming to xing. These folks usually say only the method of their school works, etc. Sometimes they ignore or deny more subtle practices. This would be the guest within the guest stage, which is where most of us start.  

On the other end, we have people who claim to focus on more wu wei methods, and will criticize others for using you wei methods (i.e. no visualization). This is the xing to ming group. However, they also seem to be using post-heavenly treasures and you wei methods, even if less gross (attention instead of visualization, for instance). They will say that the other group is ineffective. However, to be truly effective, then one would need to at least be at the host within the guest stage, which means one has seen the nature so to speak. 

Both poles seem incomplete, and merely at ends of a spectrum (which is ironic given the context). Both of them can be harmful is incorrectly practiced (if one stands for long periods without proper alignment leading to bodily harm, or if one meditates improperly leading to mental illness). There is a similar pattern in Chan/Zen as well. 

• Like 2

My understanding of using the hands this way is that you are opening Lao gong that creates a connection between the qi field in the hand and the qi fields deep in the body that have both a physical impact in the body and an energetic one. At a physical level the tissue moves in the torso and at the energetic level channels in the torso are being worked. Can feel like electrical stimulation, magnetic stimulation, a wave or pressure. The point of this is what is happening developmentally deep in the body physically and energetically rather than what happens between the hands. You can do this in a lot of ways even just pointing your palms at your body and stretching them open will start movements inside when your body is ready. Hand mudras also can do this.  Each finger position impacts a different part inside the torso in both a physical and an energetic way that will be  physically  felt when you are ready. In all these you need to be somewhat “physically aggressive” with  your hand positions initially then later less strength is needed in the hands. Then can even move it just using your relaxed little finger.

One can also just soak the mind into the body and relax/release the mind and stuff also starts to happen, nothing else required. Though all this takes time and hours of dedicated practice to develop. For example in tai chi release of Jin starts as a physical release of tension at the foot later it’s just soaking the mind into the body  and releasing the mind and the Jin will physically move. Wherever you are on this spectrum there are many, many  levels you haven’t yet arrived at on the way to pure nonintentionality (wu wei) which is an extremely rare and high level state. Important point is to realize, wherever you are, there is much yet to learn so you don’t glass ceiling yourself by feeling you “finally get it”. Better to be in the “ I know I don’t know state.” 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, forestofemptiness said:

I agree. However, in my experience, it is usually taught without the physical parts. I think the physicalists go too far in denying the non-physical elements, but the vast majority of non-physicalists don't teach the physical parts at all (leading me to believe they never learned it or are withholding it). However, I would say 99% of all recorded qi type tricks are reducible physically (in part because the non-physical stuff wouldn't be apparent on film I would think, and must be experienced personally). 

yes, the energetic part is not visible to all (some can see). However if the energetics have a physical effect, then of course one can observe the physical effect. So it might seem like it is reducible to a physical “trick”, but there are energetics at play. For instance, if we “bounce” someone, if we feel like we’re moving 1 lb vs 10 lbs vs 100 lbs to generate the same effect in the recipient of said bounce, then that can be an indication of how much physical force is being applied. 

6 hours ago, forestofemptiness said:

I agree that this applies broadly. Here is my current, no doubt flawed and limited understanding: 

Practices can be understood as a matter of substance (what we're working with) and function (the method used). The substances are typically the three treasures, but can be pre- or post-heaven, and post-heaven can vary from more subtle to more gross. The functions are basically those with more you wei or more wu wei. Nearly everyone works with post-heaven treasures of some level, because it is difficult to fully penetrate to the essence. 

Toward one end, we have those who work with the grossest treasures and specific methods. These are the physicalists--- working primarily with the body--- modern Westerners for instance. Then we have those roughly classified (again, using post-heaven terminology) as working ming to xing. These folks usually say only the method of their school works, etc. Sometimes they ignore or deny more subtle practices. This would be the guest within the guest stage, which is where most of us start.  

On the other end, we have people who claim to focus on more wu wei methods, and will criticize others for using you wei methods (i.e. no visualization). This is the xing to ming group. However, they also seem to be using post-heavenly treasures and you wei methods, even if less gross (attention instead of visualization, for instance). They will say that the other group is ineffective. However, to be truly effective, then one would need to at least be at the host within the guest stage, which means one has seen the nature so to speak. 

Both poles seem incomplete, and merely at ends of a spectrum (which is ironic given the context). Both of them can be harmful is incorrectly practiced (if one stands for long periods without proper alignment leading to bodily harm, or if one meditates improperly leading to mental illness). There is a similar pattern in Chan/Zen as well. 

Maybe they are not incomplete but different approaches required for different types of people? 

Towards that end, I found that Ming is more appropriate for modern practitioners as preparatory steps for Xing work. Before working with the mind, it needs to be stilled and settled. For the mind to be stilled and settled; the body needs to be stable. This is true for raja yoga practices too - asana, pranayama and then dhyana and eventually samadhi. 

IIRC Master Liao says that practicing Daoist systems are in cycles of 7 years. First 7, work on the body and form. Next 7, work on the qi, then subsequently work with shen. And then repeat the cycle. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, dwai said:

Maybe they are not incomplete but different approaches required for different types of people? 

You could say that, but there is a reason I typically don't. Many other spiritual traditions have an emphasis or focus on wisdom. However, many Daoist teachings have power teachings that aren't necessarily taught in conjunction with wisdom teachings. It seems to me that most people go to Daoist teachings (at least in the West) for health/healing or martial power, and only very few for wisdom. I've met many people who attend these teachings who enjoy real world fighting for instance. 

Many people do this with yoga and pranayama also. The issue is that increased power without increased wisdom seems to reinforce the acquired mind. Wisdom without power may not be as effective, but it isn't as damaging. 

15 hours ago, dwai said:

Towards that end, I found that Ming is more appropriate for modern practitioners as preparatory steps for Xing work.

That is fairly classic. The Dzogchen (and to some extent the Chan/Zen) tradition goes in the opposite direction. As the world degenerates, more traditional techniques stop working, so methods must be simpler and more direct. This is one reason why teachings which would typically be whispered from mouth to ear through a tube are now widely available. However, it can be too direct and often requires a lot of foundational work anyway. And of course it requires a teacher who understands what is being pointed out, which according to various commentaries is always "as rare as daytime stars." 

It is really difficult in my experience to find a capable Daoist spiritual teacher. I suppose they say it is a matter of destiny. 

21 hours ago, Sahaja said:

Important point is to realize, wherever you are, there is much yet to learn so you don’t glass ceiling yourself by feeling you “finally get it”. Better to be in the “ I know I don’t know state.” 

YES

Edited by forestofemptiness
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, forestofemptiness said:

You could say that, but there is a reason I typically don't. Many other spiritual traditions have an emphasis or focus on wisdom. However, many Daoist teachings have power teachings that aren't necessarily taught in conjunction with wisdom teachings. It seems to me that most people go to Daoist teachings (at least in the West) for health/healing or martial power, and only very few for wisdom. I've met many people who attend these teachings who enjoy real world fighting for instance. 

Many people do this with yoga and pranayama also. The issue is that increased power without increased wisdom seems to reinforce the acquired mind. Wisdom without power may not be as effective, but it isn't as damaging. 

Yes, for sure—power might be the initial attraction, but if connected to a good lineage and teacher, it should transform into a spiritual quest. YMMV, depending on how much prior work has already been done—some are beginners, and others have done the work in previous lifetimes as well. 

That is fairly classic. The Dzogchen (and to some extent the Chan/Zen) tradition goes in the opposite direction. As the world degenerates, more traditional techniques stop working, so methods must be simpler and more direct. This is one reason why teachings which would typically be whispered from mouth to ear through a tube are now widely available. However, it can be too direct and often requires a lot of foundational work anyway. And of course it requires a teacher who understands what is being pointed out, which according to various commentaries is always "as rare as daytime stars." 

There is a specific technical term used in Vedanta - Adhikari-bheda (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adhikari-bheda). It has to do with what kind of practitioner is eligible for the wisdom teachings. I know it is kind of diluted in the modern day, and I vacillate on how applicable it is. To go with that is the distinction made in terms of intellect. One type of intellect is called the sthula buddhi - gross intelligence - the kind that might make one successful in the transactional world - high IQ, etc. Then there is the suksha buddhi - subtle intelligence - which is needed to study the wisdom traditions. 

Individual teachers need to evaluate individual students to determine eligibility. 

In my own personal experience, I have always been blessed with sthula buddhi (has to do with upbringing, etc) - was fairly competent in academics, engineering, etc. However, initially, I could not even understand what the Upanishads, etc., were pointing to - luckily, I had enough respect for the tradition to not dismiss the teachings as nonsense and instinctively knew that I was not ready to process those teachings. After a few more years of practice (yoga, Taichi, Daoist meditations), I was able to somewhat understand what was being taught - but it was still not clear to me.  It was not until I had done sufficient preparatory work and after being initiated by my current teacher that everything fell into place in terms of sukshma buddhi - and things became apparent to me in terms of understanding. 

After that, it was more of listening, contemplation, and meditation until the realization sparked one day. 

It is really difficult in my experience to find a capable Daoist spiritual teacher. I suppose they say it is a matter of destiny. 

I would tend to agree. Only someone who has realized themselves can point to the truth (or if someone has the ability to transmit the lineage spiritually). But, realization is entirely on the individual student. 

YES

• Like 1

as far as vertical aspects

wisdom ~ love ~ power

and layers

physical ~ subtle ~ transparent

imho, the guiding aesthetics end up being
well blended

well rounded

toward balance and harmony as basis for development

”every inch of the central channel (sushumna)”

different schools, different teachers

have their areas of expertise (and gaps, usually).

a well rounded internal arts *culture*

has a variety of mature authentic schools, teachers

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Trunk said:

as far as vertical aspects

wisdom ~ love ~ power

and layers

physical ~ subtle ~ transparent

imho, the guiding aesthetics end up being
well blended

well rounded

toward balance and harmony as basis for development

”every inch of the central channel (sushumna)”

different schools, different teachers

have their areas of expertise (and gaps, usually).

a well rounded internal arts *culture*

has a variety of mature authentic schools, teachers

Sushumna:

❤️😁

• Like 1

Direct pointing for anyone who would find it useful 

Then we proceed with the Ming work 😅

Good luck everyone 😊