On 18/05/2024 at 3:05 PM, Apech said:

Giving birth standing is not so unusual - the Egyptians did this also.

He had a long and illustrious life. I love his teachings, especially the stories in Dhammapada and also the lamrim for quick practical reference. 

He was fortunate to have such a long time to teach and with a Secretary no less.

The only thing I'm caught up on about him is how he jumped out of the window instead of taking responsibility as a father,(must have been a bitter pull to swallow) so I heard. 

Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Edited by Thrice Daily
Spelling

42 minutes ago, Thrice Daily said:

… he jumped out of the window instead of taking responsibility as a father …

Yes, that has always bothered me as well.

• Like 1

yeah .

I was watching a travel doco with a well known presenter . During his adventures he went to see a shaman and at the end he was asked if he wanted to seek any advice. he said yes and that as a TV presenter  that was his work and love and he traveled away a lot and that meant time away from his family .  What should he do .? The Shaman explained family was more important ,  it is traditional with us and many other cultures to first fulfill our commitments and our  good experiences with our family and children when they are young , after that has been done we should seek our own things , enjoyments, and spiritual explorations  in the older stage of life .

Thats clear in lots of traditions .   The presenter looked a bit guilty and sheepish on hearing this ... but afaik , he still carries on the same .

The time I spent with the 'little guys' was  fun, great , developing soul and self, and I was 'in there' and not running off, going away, working, but even so it passed so quickly and was gone .   And that besides the effects it has on the kids / family .

- you dont want to be there for them , dont have them in the first place !

• Like 1