Posted (edited)

The enlightened sage Meher Baba used to travel all around the world visiting psychiatric hospitals for finding masts and properly rehabilitating them. He carefully distinguishes the mast state from madness and explains that in the case of the mad person, the mind is sped up, while in the case of the mast it is slowed down.

He considered masts to be spiritually developed people who had become spellbound by inner spiritual experiences and ecstasies and hence found it hard to operate and function normally in the material world. Consequently, to the casual observer, they would look mad even though they were actually harmless and highly sensitive people .

Meher Baba taught that the mast properly rehabilitated would continue in their spiritual path and would be of inward service to humanity.

A compilation of his sayings on masts....

https://www.meherbabadnyana.net/life_eternal/Book_One/Masts.htm

Masts do not suffer from what may be called a disease. They are in a state of mental disorder because their minds are overcome by such intense spiritual energies that are far too much for them - forcing them to lose contact with the world, shed normal human habits and customs and civilised society, and live in a state of spiritual splendor but physical squalor.

During the process of transcending the mind, the mental makeup of the mast is subjected to so much disturbance and upheaval that he is unable to use his mind in the ordinary way. To all appearances he is like a madman. The way in which he sits, talks or eats, and his general demeanor, are so far removed from what is most current in the world that common people very often take him to be insane.

If I really like anything, I like two things - masts and children. I like masts for their strength, and children for their helplessness. The fire of love is very terrible indeed, and masts present a challenge - of this terrible fire of love - to God, the beloved.

Edited by Ajay0
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Ajay0,

Was this intended for the "Abrahamic" sub-forum?

If so, please let me know if there is anything "Abrahamic" that you would like to discuss.  This is not a harsh judgement.  I'm not intending anything other than to understand what sort of conversation you would to inspire via the information you have posted here 

Best wishes from me to you,

-daniel- 

I feel like there were several people like this when I was in acupuncture school. Very interesting to talk to but useless in the "real world"

12 hours ago, Daniel said:

@Ajay0,

Was this intended for the "Abrahamic" sub-forum?

Yes, the Mast  is a concept of Sufism, the mystical sect of Islam, an  Abrahamic religion.

If so, please let me know if there is anything "Abrahamic" that you would like to discuss.  This is not a harsh judgement.  I'm not intending anything other than to understand what sort of conversation you would to inspire via the information you have posted here 

It is possible that deep and powerful love for God may have disoriented some devotees from their practical worldly tasks in Sufism and other Abrahamic religions, and even non-Abrahamic religions.

They may be wrongly considered as insane and perhaps relegated to mental health institutions, which may not be the best treatment for them. (Their presence though might have a beneficial effect on the other inmates suffering from mental illnesses.)

. Meher Baba  carefully distinguishes the mast state from madness and explains that in the case of the mad person, the mind is sped up, while in the case of the mast it is slowed down.

I had elaborated on this in this thread of mine...

Best wishes from me to you,

-daniel- 

Thank you and I wish the same to you., 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Maddie said:

I feel like there were several people like this when I was in acupuncture school. Very interesting to talk to but useless in the "real world"

Masts are usually silent and preferring solitude. 

Due to their God-intoxicated state, they have positive vibes or energies about them. It is this, and not their conversational abilities that determines whether they are masts or not.  Meher Baba says in this regard...

'However, the unmistakeable quality that masts possess is their abilty to make one happy in their company. Whereas in the company of a mad person one feels depression and sadness.' ~ Meher Baba

• Like 2

On 6/14/2024 at 9:51 PM, Ajay0 said:

Yes, the Mast  is a concept of Sufism, the mystical sect of Islam, an  Abrahamic religion.

Ahah!  Thank you!

I'll read up on it and reply once I am more educated on it.