5 hours ago, snowymountains said:

Though I believe neo shamanism is kind of meh, I cannot help but wonder what a great mental health these tribes enjoyed, practicing genuine flavours of shamanism.

I honestly believe the disconnect with these parts, the need for analysis today, is 90% because people have disconnected from similar traditions and are viewed by governments and society as economic productivity robots.

These tribes likely had much healthier cultural norms and probably enjoyed far greater mental health.

Right, I definetly think there is something there. That tradition and rituals can survive a lot, but maybe not a change in religion. Shame to say it, but when we are on to the sami: their shamans (if I may use that term) got activley persecuted, even burned. One of them admitted to just going trough the notions, with the past being reffered to as trummetiden - the time of the drum. 
https://books.google.no/books/about/The_End_of_Drum_time.html?id=S9suPAAACAAJ&redir_esc=y

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NaturaNaturans said:

Right, I definetly think there is something there. That tradition and rituals can survive a lot, but maybe not a change in religion. Shame to say it, but when we are on to the sami: their shamans (if I may use that term) got activley persecuted, even burned. One of them admitted to just going trough the notions, with the past being reffered to as trummetiden - the time of the drum. 
https://books.google.no/books/about/The_End_of_Drum_time.html?id=S9suPAAACAAJ&redir_esc=y

If I recall, their persecution is also mentioned in one of Harner's books.

Some still exist today, meeting them is part of my retirement plants 😎

But indeed it's a shame that their culture has been decimated.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, snowymountains said:

All are aspects of mankind, but it's also time invariant, I was focusing on these societies which today view as primitive, had societal habits which are overall much better from a mental health point of view 

well its a strange world.  For instance in periods of Japanese history respect for superiors and elders was (and still is) very important in their society yet when the the Samurai were in force they could execute certain people for slight infractions; considering that how did much of those certain parts of the  populations mental health fair with that possibility hanging over them?  I don't know but we could guess by putting ourselves in their shoes.  

for me soul is something like glass/water, and spirit shines/flows through it

Posted (edited)

a soul is a particular being, the Soul of souls is not a particular being - aka the supreme being (ness).

Edited by old3bob

6 hours ago, NaturaNaturans said:

Cave and cosmos? Have not read, but sounds really intruiging.

Either in cave and the cosmos or the way of the shaman, it was in one of the two, can't remember in which one he discusses the Sami.

• Thanks 1

Just now, snowymountains said:

Either in cave and the cosmos or the way of the shaman, it was in one of the two, can't remember in which one he discusses the Sami.

Made a note of it, on the «reader later» category. Seems like you reccomend them?

• Like 1

Just now, NaturaNaturans said:

Made a note of it, on the «reader later» category. Seems like you reccomend them?

I like them but imo they're better read with a grain of salt.

Harner is one of the very few folks worth reading on shamanism, because he was an anthropologist who did live with and study these tribes.

Some of the things he mentions I believe to have much simpler explanations than what he alludes to, so don't agree with everything there, but his books are very interesting.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, NaturaNaturans said:

Thank you. Maybe this is telling of my intellectual honesty, but i prefer a little extra spice compared to much salt;)

Read his books then!, personally I find them to have plenty of extra spice 😁, perhaps a bit too much for my taste but they're very interesting reads.

• Thanks 1

On 22.6.2024 at 12:35 AM, Nungali said:

No , because I dont see why it MUST be 'eternal'  .

@Nungali, If you feel «done» with the convo, it is no problem. But I reread my thread about the bhagavad gita, and I think my assumption is based on this:

Spoiler

Krishna also reveals the essence of the soul and its boundless nature: "I am the soul, O Arjuna, which exists within the hearts of all beings. I am the beginning, the middle, and the end of all that lives."

The soul goes through a cycle of bodies, just as a person changes worn-out clothes for new ones. Although Krishna teaches us about the illusion of the material world, it does not absolve us of our duties. It teaches us that we must perform our roles selflessly, with love and devotion to God. In the end, Krishna reveals His universal form, showing that He is the source of all creation and destruction.

Of course, this is only a belief and not a proven fact, but I wanted to explain myself.