Daniel

I know why the Buddha is "laughing"

1 hour ago, old3bob said:

it goes along with his true face (before he or his parents were born) taking over his human face...

Would you please elaborate on "his true face"?  What is "his true face"?  What are the qualities of he "true face" which correspond with "laughing"?

He is amused at the absurdity of this universe and the beings in it.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Daniel said:

Would you please elaborate on "his true face"?  What is "his true face"?  What are the qualities of he "true face" which correspond with "laughing"?

"true face" per Buddhism is an easy search on the web,  not sure about the laughing part which got mixed in...

Edited by old3bob

5 minutes ago, old3bob said:

"true face" per Buddhism is an easy search on the web,  not sure about the laughing part which got mixed in...

I'm familiar with the concept.  I'm trying to understand what you posted previously.  Elaborate?

2 hours ago, wstein said:

He is amused at the absurdity of this universe and the beings in it.

"Absurdity" in your reply has a positive valence?  It's pejorative?  Neutral?

24 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I'm familiar with the concept.  I'm trying to understand what you posted previously.  Elaborate?

um, I,m not a Buddhist but appreciate some of the sayings; anyway any interpretations are up to you to make for yourself.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, old3bob said:

um, I,m not a Buddhist but appreciate some of the sayings; anyway any interpretations are up to you to make for yourself.

Here's what you posted for reference:

"it goes along with his true face (before he or his parents were born) taking over his human face..."

You're not able to interpret or elaborate on your own reply?  Really?

Here's what you posted for reference:

"it goes along with his true face (before he or his parents were born) taking over his human face..."

You're not able to interpret or elaborate on your own reply?  Really?

elaborate and on to argue,  defend, espouse, correlate, quote this or that, recount this or that... really?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, old3bob said:

elaborate and on to argue,  defend, espouse, correlate, quote this or that, recount this or that... really?

You assume... that I cannot change?

You assume... that I cannot change?

ok, here is your chance admit you were wrong per electrical engineering about inductive reactance...

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, old3bob said:

ok, here is your chance admit you were wrong per electrical engineering about inductive reactance...

I was wrong to argue.  It was excessive.  Very.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Daniel said:

"Absurdity" in your reply has a positive valence?  It's pejorative?  Neutral?

Its utterly ridiculous and shouldn't  be taken seriously.

9 hours ago, old3bob said:

and while we are it ......

;)

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Nungali said:

and while we are it ......

;)

If you need an apology too... I'm sorry I argued with you, nungali.  I still think you're wrong and arrogant.  But I won't pursue discussion with you.  I won't try to convince you you're wrong.  I'll simply ignore your opinions when they're rubbish.  It's best for you, it's best for me, it's best for the community.

If you reply to one of my posts, I'll read it and reply if warranted.  I'll try to be polite, dignified.  I'll try to not to take the bait.

It's the best I can do.

Edited by Daniel

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, NaturaNaturans said:

But @Daniel, why shouldnt he laugh? I sure enjoy to laugh

I do too.  But there's always a reason for it.  Isn't there?

Edited by Daniel

17 minutes ago, NaturaNaturans said:

Why wont you share it then?

1)  "The journey is the destination."  It's a classic buddhist teaching.

2)  I am sharing it.  It's a process.  

3)  Patience is a virtue.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, NaturaNaturans said:

There's two steps to solve this riddle.  Both can happen concurrently.

1)  "Laughing" needs to be understood.

2)  The stories where the buddah is laughing need to be understood.

I started a thread to explore the nature of laughter.  That's a worthy endeavor.  You are invited to participate there.

I'll start collecting the stories of the buddah laughing.

Sound like a plan?  The way to solve this, just like anything.  Teamwork.  That's why I called on Inspector Foote.  I'm putting together a team.  Join us!  But the goal is understanding, not knowledge.

Edited by Daniel

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Daniel said:

If you need an apology too... I'm sorry I argued with you, nungali.  I still think you're wrong and arrogant.  But I won't pursue discussion with you.  I won't try to convince you you're wrong.  I'll simply ignore your opinions when they're rubbish.  It's best for you, it's best for me, it's best for the community.

If you reply to one of my posts, I'll read it and reply if warranted.  I'll try to be polite, dignified.  I'll try to not to take the bait.

It's the best I can do.

Apology ?  Nah, I dont need them .    It wasnt about the argument ... people argue all the time , but my dear chap , there ARE 'rules of engagement  ... and I dont mean all that BS 'nice and polite stuff'   ... without understanding the rules of engagement in argument or debate , one often does not realise they are plain wrong or even understand what the issue was   ... and then keep arguing , not addressing the valid point  of what the argument WAS about .... sort of 'cheat and fudge ' and then proclaim how  'squeaky clean ' their  method is , thats rather urksome , .

That is what it was about and this is about the 4th time I am explaining it to you .

" Sorry about arguing "    ...   :rolleyes:

Edited by Nungali

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, NaturaNaturans said:

image.png.11fab305f4474c580d52efb6242b7fd0.png

:D 

Yes, one assumes the nature of the thread title  would eventually lead to an answer from the thread creator  ?   But no , you have to  wait  ....   Unless he  just  meant  " I KNOW why "  , which actually doesnt say he is going to TELL you why   :) 

Or maybe he will ... why has it not been revealed so far ?

9 hours ago, Daniel said:

1)  "The journey is the destination."  It's a classic buddhist teaching.

2)  I am sharing it.  It's a process.  

3)  Patience is a virtue.

One would think  if the reason is 1)   the thread title might have been a question rather than a declaration  that one has the  answer ?

If 2 ) ... expect this 'process' to involve the type of dynamics already unfolding in this thread  and what came up in his other threads      eg

On 6/26/2024 at 4:15 AM, old3bob said:

plus - a bit of embarrassment  from  past posting, a return and an attempted  'patching up ' to continue on likewise (  ? we shall see about that one , I suppose )

If 3) then you have to wait and wait .... meanwhile the OP will avoid the issue saying he made another thread ( where you might get the answer .... or you might not    ;)  ) 

Edited by Nungali

7 hours ago, Nungali said:

you have to  wait

It's better to go through the process.

There's no reason to rush.

8 hours ago, Nungali said:

rules of engagement

if you would please direct me to these rules, I will review them

8 hours ago, Nungali said:

this is about the 4th time I am explaining it to you

if you say so

If you acknowledge this is about the 4th time I have told you .

Then you shwould not need to review them .

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 2024-06-26 at 3:54 PM, Daniel said:

It's the best I can do.

🤧 That was a decent attempt to make peace. I'm touched. 

Edited by Salvijus
  • Like 1