NaturaNaturans

What is your main take away from the journey of life?

Posted (edited)

We are all human, and the road can be both magical and soulbreaking. Briefly, what idea/experience/practise have given you tje most? Any advice to the younger crowd? 

Edit: mine would be the biggest clische of all time - be true to yourself and others.

Edited by NaturaNaturans
  • Like 1

According to Herodotus, Persian nobility taught their kids tree things:

Ride well

Shoot straight

Speak the truth

Metaphorically, I think it is solid advice.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, NaturaNaturans said:

Briefly, what idea/experience/practise have given you tje most? Any advice to the younger crowd? 

I can only, responsibly, share what I'm working on currently:

Patience.

Hence, there is very little I can share, because, I don't know how this "story" ends.  I need to be patient.  It's a need, not a want.

Edited by Daniel

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NaturaNaturans said:

Shoot straight

I was taught:  "Don't put your finger on the trigger, unless you're sure.  Are you sure?"

Patience.

Edited by Daniel

1 hour ago, NaturaNaturans said:

Speak the truth

Can you think of any exceptions?

45 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Can you think of any exceptions?

Ehm, not really, outside of the basic ones. Sure, dont tell a four year old that Santa is pure lulu, but generally; I consider straight speech moral, constructive and the best option. How about you?

2 minutes ago, NaturaNaturans said:

Ehm, not really, outside of the basic ones. Sure, dont tell a four year old that Santa is pure lulu, but generally; I consider straight speech moral, constructive and the best option. How about you?

There's a story from the Jewish sages about a pillow and the feathers.  

There's also a surprising amount of writing about what constitutes evil speech even when it is true.

My personal preference is, as you have described, straight, moral, constructive.  But not all people are like me.

9 minutes ago, Daniel said:

But not all people are like me.

So true, so true: we all function differntly, and some communication styles can truly hurt others. But I belive it is possible to speak your mind in a manner that is not offensive to anyone. Or, maybe not anyone, but what can I say… cant please everybody.

"To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing."

Aristotle

Any jewish parable you had in mind?

From the emperor (Aurelius) himself:

Spoiler

From Diognetus, not to busy myself about trifling things, and not to give credit to what was said by miracle-workers and jugglers about incantations and the driving away of daemons and such things; and not to breed quails for fighting, nor to give myself up passionately to such things; and to endure freedom of speech; and to have become intimate with philosophy; and to have been a hearer, first of Bacchius, then of Tandasis and Marcianus; and to have written dialogues in my youth; and to have desired a plank bed and skin, and whatever else of the kind belongs to the Grecian discipline.

From Rusticus I received the impression that my character required improvement and discipline; and from him I learned not to be led astray to sophistic emulation, nor to writing on speculative matters, nor to delivering little hortatory orations, nor to showing myself off as a man who practises much discipline, or does benevolent acts in order to make a display; and to abstain from rhetoric, and poetry, and fine writing; and not to walk about in the house in my outdoor dress, nor to do other things of the kind; and to write my letters with simplicity, like the letter which Rusticus wrote from Sinuessa to my mother; and with respect to those who have offended me by words, or done me wrong, to be easily disposed to be pacified and reconciled, as soon as they have shown a readiness to be reconciled; and to read carefully, and not to be satisfied with a superficial understanding of a book; nor hastily to give my assent to those who talk overmuch; and I am indebted to him for being acquainted with the discourses of Epictetus, which he communicated to me out of his own collection.