kakapo

Request For Gendao To Be Unbanned After 4 Years.

Here is the weird thing .  He got banned for that and it was not very bad .   But if you are a psychotic Nazi type of sentiment that has misinterpreted text and  puts that up here as some valid interpretation, and also gives out 'advice'  and also admits they are psychotic, need help, have done drastic stuff to themselves , then get screamed  at to get out by the site owner ( complete with an angry screaming face posted alongside his comment) due to such Nazi like 'sentiments'  .  They can come back as long as they  change ID and name .   And do it all over again , and again.

WTF ?

I pointed this out ages ago and got near modded myself .  And when asking for answers on that here  THE mod at the time stated , which I was dumbstruck by ( for a while ) , that posters that sneak back in like that will be watched with a closer eye . I posted my take on  that ; a minor infraction gets a  perma-ban but if you get banned and sneak back in ''' we will have our eye on you !" - but you will be able to get away with that ?     Then I got warned for   joining in in criticizing this Mod ... then ranks closed quicker than the Catholic Church .

That started somewhat of a trend , at least with that poster . And where is that mod now ?    I see this at home on the commune ; people made bad and ill informed changes , years back and they still cause problems and those people left years ago .

For some weird reason  SOME people (or person ) support these ( this ) poster  .. who knows what their motive is .... to try and show the esoteric causes craziness ?  Errrm, so does organized religion !  - it depends on whether or not the person has a mentally unstable proclivity !

For a while  now , in my perception,  moderation seems to be more 'Daoist' , letting things 'sort themselves out ' with a gentle 'guidance' when  necessary ' and that seems to be working well.

So congrats on that , but   such 'action by inaction' doesnt address the casualties of the past .   So I would say , let Gendao back ... and if he isnt allowed or invited back ,  just tell him to sneak back in, as that still seems to be condoned action .

On 7/14/2024 at 10:52 AM, kakapo said:

If I recall correctly he was spamming things about Aliens, and they banned him for that.  

I don't think he was calling anyone names or anything, but I could be wrong.

It's true that he didn't resort to personal attacks, at least on my memory.  Instead he attacked whole races (not those politically incorrect to pick on though, just the one that is fair game) and national/religious identities and so on.  And, yes, spammed copiously.  And gave conspiracy theorists a bad name by being indiscriminately omnivorous toward all things conspiracy.  (I am a huge proponent of the theory that most of civilized history is primarily a history of conspiracies, but it doesn't mean "anything goes as long as it's not mainstream." )  

I've no opinion one way or the other about letting him back on TDB, just wanted to set the record slightly straighter, to the best of my ability.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He was suspended repeatedly for his aggression, this finally leading to a permanent ban.

He earned it via his actions, it was not imposed on him. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/18/2024 at 9:41 PM, silent thunder said:

He was suspended repeatedly for his aggression, this finally leading to a permanent ban.

He earned it via his actions, it was not imposed on him. 

You are not wrong, I feel he aggressively talked about aliens.

His ban was justifiable.

That said people make mistakes, and it's been 4 years.

I've seen people behave far worse than he ever has, and never be banned or even suspended for it.

I can only say I know him personally and he's a decent person.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, kakapo said:

You are not wrong, I feel he aggressively talked about aliens.

His ban was justifiable.

That said people make mistakes, and it's been 4 years.

I've seen people behave far worse than he ever has, and never be banned or even suspended for it.

I can only say I know him personally and he's a decent person.

Since we are here to undertand or practice Taoism, we should learn to be forgiveful and tolerate others and given them another chance for improvement! Otherwise, Wu Wei was being ignored on the website!

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Cobie said:

How does “forgiveful” follow from “Wu Wei”?  

Wu Wei is to follow the course of nature. Someone had been punished, then release the punishment to see was there any effect from the action. If not, then try again and again until there are improvements have shown. There is nothing that one should go to the extreme. IMO Nothing is permanent.

• Thanks 1

Errrmmm ....

On 22/07/2024 at 5:46 AM, ChiDragon said:

Wu Wei is to follow the course of nature. Someone had been punished, then release the punishment to see was there any effect from the action. If not, then try again and again until there are improvements have shown. There is nothing that one should go to the extreme. IMO Nothing is permanent.

I am assuming that  didnt mean ;   If not, then try punishment  again and again until there are improvements  show

otherwise ;

image.png.16c406e960b865cd0f4514d5c4e70dcc.png

On 21/07/2024 at 12:41 AM, ChiDragon said:

Since we are here to undertand or practice Taoism, we should learn to be forgiveful and tolerate others and given them another chance for improvement! Otherwise, Wu Wei was being ignored on the website!

20240808_101909.thumb.jpg.b6dd551e7f14f12294f1dcca314ad8b6.jpg

Source: @dailystoic, Twitter.

• Thanks 1

On 8/8/2024 at 1:31 AM, Giles said:

20240808_101909.thumb.jpg.b6dd551e7f14f12294f1dcca314ad8b6.jpg

Source: @dailystoic, Twitter.

Well said!

• Thanks 1

On 8/11/2024 at 9:01 PM, Nungali said:

Well, the first job  to consider for new Mods then  ? 

I agree. 

Maybe, 3 years ago, I ran onto Gendao on another forum and he expressed his desire to return. We had a brief discussion and basically, my take was Gendao said, he would not be adding any filters to his posting style. I told him eventually I would bring the matter up to the other mods and admin.

Today I posted in Steward's Lounge, Gendao would like to return after a 4 year ban.

Personally, I always liked Gendao. 

We have fresh admin and mods. It is up to the mod team and admin. I do not oppose his return. If he does return, I expect an uptick in reports being filed.

Gendao was a long time member here. I believe in second chances. 

Sometimes allowing banned members to return works out and sometimes it doesn't. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I've had a chance to reconnect with Gendao.  I've known him for a very long time.  He was actually the person who introduced me to the Dao Bums many years ago and played a big role in getting me started on the path.  

He actually logged into his Bums account while we were talking and he discovered one warning from a mod regarding a post about women who cheat on men.  he also added that he was never given any previous warnings, at least none that he can recall, and he was also never suspended from the forum previously.

Edited by hyok
  • Like 2

There was no strong feeling about this in the moderator team, so I've reinstated Gendao's access.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow 1

7 hours ago, dwai said:

There was no strong feeling about this in the moderator team, so I've reinstated Gendao's access.

Thanks so much!