Hi and warm hello from David.

Could someone tell me where I can find the book about afterlife or if could someone tell me a wider description about afterlife in Daoism?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/12/2024 at 11:04 PM, Da_Vid said:

Hi and warm hello from David.

Could someone tell me where I can find the book about afterlife or if could someone tell me a wider description about afterlife in Daoism?

Despite reincarnation originally  not a Taoist concept , in fact it comes from Buddhism , Taoism does make use of it  yet in the terms of jing ,qi and shen . A person dies because he uses up all  jing and qi in his body , or in some cases, his physical body seriously damaged , that his spirit ( a yin-typed of shen ) is forced to leave  .

In most cases,  this reluctantly forced to leave,   yin-type of spirit cannot take its fate along  in its own hands ; without  a physical body , it may roam a long time in some places , say in an old fortress , a deserted tunnel  or under a desolate bridge near seashore for some reasons .. not necessarily going into an afterlife soon after death  ; even if it can incarnate,  in what  life form  : a woman , a pig or a worm ..is no guarantee .  So ,Taoism emphasizes on  the  everlasting life ,  an achievement better be accomplished in THIS  lifetime  as long as some yang-qi  still lurking inside  the physical body , not the afterlife.

Edited by exorcist_1699
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Reincarnation as a belief was indigenous to China (not a Buddhist import). Jade was already found in Neolithic burial sites. Jade was symbolic for the cicades which were symbolic for reincarnation. 

Edited by Cobie
  • Like 1

Complete realization of the Dao obviates and makes impossible the idea of some separate afterlife. 

11x17-master-sheet_0026_G026-This-is-It-

17 hours ago, Cobie said:

Reincarnation as a belief was indigenous to China (not a Buddhist import). Jade was already found in Neolithic burial sites. Jade was symbolic for the cicades which were symbolic for reincarnation. 

Here I refer to reincarnation , as mentioned , a series of  repeated afterlives , not just some simple idea of afterlife .

The belief of reincarnation/coming back again is very common everywhere over the history, worldwide.   China Taoism and folk religions believe in it.  But it is the Buddhist that explains reincarnation as

1. a system

2. a mandatory process

3. a continuous process, previous lives affect future lives

4. its working based on Karma, or "tendencies" in modern explanation.

While the Taoist/Folk religion believe that reincarnation is optional.  It timing and way is sometimes and somehow self-controlled.  There is hell court to enforce punishments before jumping into another life.  So sometimes the reincarnated soul is given a clean slate instead of perpetually affected by karma in many previous cycles.  In fact the Path to Immortalship i.e. internal alchemy is contrary to a rigid reincarnation system.