Sign in to follow this  
Cadcam

What is the opinion on dreams?

When I was young, I dreamed a lot, but they were loose ideas and not very storied.

Now as an adult, I find that they are like movies, with a plot and dialog.  They are very involved and realistic, though not always bound by the laws of nature.

I'm wondering how mystics magicians and occultism account for them, because from my POV they are designed.

For the majority dreams are a jumble of ones thoughts, desires and fears.  Most dreams are junk dreams, but not all.  Some have great value in pointing out directions and opportunities we should head in.  As we do more work on our subconscious more and more dreams have value.  

Dreamwork at its highest level can mean astral travel through different dimensions but that's pretty high level stuff and people can confuse it w/ lucid dreaming.  While I've worked on it, that stuff is above my pay grade.  Low level stuff like pre-programming dreams is more my grade though even then I'm rarely lucid.      

I admire Rawn Clark's Hermetic inspired work.  And he claims to have had regular astral meetings with other like hermetic magicians where they'd call each other the morning after and compare notes.  

22 minutes ago, thelerner said:

I admire Rawn Clark's Hermetic inspired work.  And he claims to have had regular astral meetings with other like hermetic magicians where they'd call each other the morning after and compare notes.  

I'd have to call bullshit on that one.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Cadcam said:

I'm wondering how mystics magicians and occultism account for them, because from my POV they are designed.

This is how I account for them.  Every dream which is remembered is an opportunity, but, not all dreams are significant.  Dreams which are highly significant produce strong emotions, both pleasant and not, on waking.  And.  Dreams which are highly significant repeat.

Edited by Daniel

1 hour ago, Cadcam said:

Yes, I agree, we'd need to know a lot more about this, but, let's not over-react?  There's ways for them to stack the deck in their favor in addition to severely lowering the standards for what would be considered a "successful astral dream encounter between good friends."

... regular astral meetings with other like hermetic magicians where they'd call each other the morning after and compare notes. 

Notice:  it doesn't say what happened in those "meetings".

2 hours ago, Cadcam said:

I probably would too.  About such stretches I'm normally pretty skeptical.  Yet I've read and listened to his stuff.  He's not the kind to pull rabbits out of his hat on demand, ie if evidence was demanded he wouldn't give it.  Mostly because that's not his focus.  He gave away his techniques for free.  He's a private person and the claim was more matter of fact, not the main focus of his writing.  I don't think he cares about convincing anyone.  He's not into fame or making money off his practice.  

So while I wouldn't put money on it, I definitely could be wrong, I like to think its true. 

Nor is he alone.  Michael Winn of the Healing Tao talked about meeting people in dreamspace, running a flight school there.  He does make money from such teachings.  Sells a series on Taoist Dream practice.  Do I think his claims are true?  I don't know.  

I've studied dreamwork.  Have little talent in it though.  Working on it makes my insomnia worse.  Astral travel seems like it would be easy to prove, ie what card did I have out last night.  Historically in an anecdotal way, dream communication is mentioned across cultures.  Particularly Tibetan.  Doesn't mean its real, but it could be.. pretty rare though.   

Stanford lab has done fascinating work on lucid dreams and the ability of such dreamers to communicate through eyes looking right left right patterns with outside observers.  Last I heard after a decade and hundreds of experiments they couldn't show proof of astral travel and considered it most probably examples of believing one's lucid dream.

Yet, one science lab is not the whole world.  One university lab measuring human speed would not necessarily find a person who could break a 4 minute mile.  It takes genetics, luck, hard hard practice.. and helps to believe it can be done.  Still as years go by books on astral travel get put in with Big Foot, Loch Ness and UFO's.  Yet UFO's aren't and shouldn't be a closed book.  

In Rawn's case, I'm willing to believe, not that it gets me anything.  

Posted (edited)

Dreams can contain horribly accurate information. There was one that had me as an elite of a mage society, and I was given access to one of their libraries.

How horribly odd it is that some information is useful and enriches your mind. It really didn't feel like a joke, that it took so many loops to get to one of these libraries in a Mage society, you would literally have to get permission from an Elder to read a single book and you were expected to then study that book for up to a year.

I could really only read about the process of an adept becoming a Mage, or opening a Vase. But it was legitimately useful, and I woke up feeling an enrichment and information I could never lose. Regardless, it felt weird because I lived the dream as someone else, and then woke up as myself. 

Weird theories about being able to measure how large the outside of a Vase is, if you only have the inside to measure from/can only act from the inside. It's my general emphasis, that mundanity here doesn't stop magical societies from developing outside of consciousness. And I think they'll eventually invade worlds like this one.

I wish I could have read about the theory of Ether that they had in those libraries... Things like that would change everything, might even make it possible to get a grip of Magic here.

Edited by Emaciated Ascetic

Don't know about Etheric or Akashic but altered states like hypnosis can be good for investigating one's own memories.  There are many guided meditations on the subject on Youtube.  I like the Entrance ones on walking through the library of memory, though I tend to clip off 10 or 15 minutes of the beginning induction.  

They have you walking dreamlike through a library and the books you pick up are times of your life.  Will the visions be accurate..?  IDK, probably they'll be colored by emotions and desires yet its a worthwhile practice.  

This type of thing is easy low hanging fruit.  In everyday life we're bombarded by images and thoughts, we sift through them kind of like through a straw**.  Being open to the subconscious can widen that straw.   

**doing more open eye meditation lately and it explores aspect about vision.  How attention brings a surprisingly small focus field, the rest is blurry but you can make friends with that blurriness, live in it.  How the window of vision itself is eye shaped.  

Sign in to follow this