Sign in to follow this  
Cosmicat

Chi Gong/Kung Fu Schools in China

Hi,

does anyone recommend any schools in China for Taiji, Qigong, Bagua, Neigong?  i'm currently studying accupuncture, but would like to learn more physical practices. 

thanks for your suggestions! 

Not really. Taiwan is a lot better.

Where in the mainland are you exactly located? If in Beijing I can point you in the right direction. 

thanks for the reply,

im in the uk at the moment. People have said to me that the schools in China are not that good, also that it is dangerous to go there, so better to look for a teacher in the UK.

15 hours ago, Cosmicat said:

would you suggest any teachers that teach on line courses? thanks for your suggestions 

No, never unless you have a strong foundation in Chinese Kung Fu. 

Internal Martial Arts are very complicated and subtle with a lot of stuff going on under the surface. This needs to be taught in real life unless (and I repeat again) you are an advanced practitioner coming from another art who understands themselves really well (body + internal energetics).

I’m guessing you wouldn’t be a fan of damo Mitchell then? I was considering his online teachings in acupuncture and chi gong 

32 minutes ago, Cosmicat said:

I’m guessing you wouldn’t be a fan of damo Mitchell then? I was considering his online teachings in acupuncture and chi gong 

If you decide to try Damo’s internal arts academy for Nei gong (qi gong), suggest you combine it with some  Neigong zoom classes…gives a chance for feedback on your efforts   and questions…one of his senior instructors is in the south of England and has two hour zoom classes on Weds evenings.  She also does in person retreats periodically. 

https://sophiejohnson.offeringtree.com/offerings

On 9/9/2024 at 12:16 AM, Cosmicat said:

I’m guessing you wouldn’t be a fan of damo Mitchell then?

FYI:

Make your own informed decision.

I'm not a fan of books and online courses.

6 hours ago, Gerard said:

FYI:

Perhaps since you have studied for some time you should share some specific points why the approach you take is superior to what Damo teaches. Otherwise people are just making decisions based on innuendo and people's emotional opinions (e.g. Damo is a friend of Adam so he must be a bad teacher) with little or no direct experience of the approach they are critiquing. 

here is an example of what Damo teaches in Cheng style Bagua including some comments on the internal components of the movement….perhaps share your views on this 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C_plxi0Pctp/?igsh=MTc4MmM1YmI2Ng==

You can learn the Ba Da Zhang set for free in YT:

What you linked starts from about 29:20

Did he learn what he's teaching from the lineage bearer Liu Jingru? That form was passed on to him by his teacher Luo Xingwu:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheng-style_baguazhang

I cant see Damo Mitchell's name anywhere:

https://ottawakungfu01.tripod.com/250Bagau002Z.htm

Is he authorised to teach it?

Traditionally in China (and even today) you can't teach an art unless given authorisation by your lineage teacher.

Good luck if you think you are going to go deep in Ba Gua Zhang and all its subtleties from a video. It was difficult for me to learn how to walk properly (kou bu & bai bu steps and tangni bu mud walking) in real life from my teacher; I can't imagine how would be to learn an entire form from a video.

My teacher, Geoff Sweeting:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liang-style_baguazhang

Was authorised to teach formally Ba Gua Zhang and. Xingyi Quan in the West and named a master in a formal ceremony held in Beijing in 2011. His teacher, Wang Tong was present at the time. 

If I were to start off the Ba Gua Zhang path today, I'd like to learn from a "shirtless teacher" (no fancy suits, tattoos and a cool bro attitude) who stresses just the BASICS, no fancy forms, like this man:

👍

So:

1. Learn to walk properly

2. Eight Mother Palms

3. Foundation work

Nothing else is needed.

Edited by Gerard

I agree that learning internal martial arts online is problematic because there may be no opportunity to do the partner work/push hands  which is very important aspect of learning the art. This is important in both tai chi and in bagua which has its own version of push hands.
However what I like about Damo’s approach is in all three internal styles (Yang, Cheng and Xing yi) he teaches along side Neigong (which is his main focus) he includes teaching of the internal movements of Jin and qi. If you look closely at this short vignette you can see the Jin move in his body during the palm change. This is the part that is seldom taught but is the part that makes these arts internal.

Hi,

I know you have good intentions but please don't but deceived by the salesman's pitch. That guy is promoting himself and his product and he does it well. He can lure beginners but not seasoned practitioners. But hey, I'm not against him obviously, anyone is entitled to promote and sell their knowledge/product/work/business.  Nothing wrong with that unless one is a charlatan, a manipulative and deceiving individual, a cult leader and the like. He is not such type but there is no need to sign up for a 5-year paid course when you can find a teacher in your city/town and benefit from real life learning which is always going to be better and with less room for error. 

A few points:

1. There is no push hands in BGZ. That's only a Chen TJQ thing.

2. Neigong comes naturally from correct practice. In fact. It's always there, you only become more aware of it over time like the rest of all internal processes that take place inside all of us.

3. The most important aspect of BGZ is connecting with the 5 Forces via internal organs awareness and then connecting with the mind/spirit/shen. It'll change your life completely. A new YOU will emerge. 

4. BGZ will become your teacher and guide not the human that is teaching you the art initially.

I stop here, I'm giving away too much. You need to find out how deep the rabbit hole goes by yourself through consistent and disciplined practice over many years. 

The sky is the limit. :)

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 1

On 9/11/2024 at 6:04 PM, Gerard said:

FYI:

Finally read through the comments.   My observation is that 5 years ago DM was a sharp, agile, full of vigour young man.   Nowadays he put on much weight, look old, clumsy.   For internal arts, these are not good signs.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this