stirling

A Message to Human Beings

I thought, since the board seems to have bogged down in the pointless intellectual dissection of what "non-dual" means, that it might be nice to take a moment to reaffirm that the insight that is known variously as enlightenment, realization, alignment with the Dao, realization of the Self, etc. isn't some unattainable nonsense, or we wouldn't BE here talking about it. It is in fact attainable in this lifetime, and happens ALL THE TIME. I have recently connected with a number of newer board members who have this understanding, and know a number of others on the board who have as well. It remains possible in any moment.

In this spirit I would like to re-share a document by a well-regarded Tibetan teacher that always warms my heart. Keep in mind I am not (and he would not) say that his suggested practices and lineage are not the ONLY practices or lineage that might make one available to have the accident of insight. There are an infinite number of gates to realization. In fact, most of the realized people I have met weren't doing any practice at all when it occurred. 

A Message to Human Beings - Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche

A German film crew once asked Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche to say something that would be heard by people all over the world. Here is his response.

First I would like to tell you that an enlightened essence is present in everyone. It is present in every state, both samsara and nirvana, and in all sentient beings; there is no exception. Experience your buddha nature, make it your constant practice, and you will reach enlightenment. In my lifetime I have known many, many people who attained such an enlightened state, both male and female. Awakening to enlightenment is not an ancient fable. It is not mythology. It actually does happen. Bring the oral instructions into your own practical experience and enlightenment is indeed possible; it is not just a fairy tale.

To realize our buddha nature, we need the support of three principles. First is the precious Buddha, the primal teacher who showed the enlightened essence to others. Next is the precious dharma, the teachings on how to train in experiencing the enlightened essence. Lastly, there is the precious sangha, the people who uphold and spread the teachings. Additionally, there are
three roots: there is the guru, the root of blessings; the yidam, the root of accomplishment; and the dakini, the root of activities. They possess all-knowing wakefulness, all-embracing compassion, the activity of deeds for the benefit of beings, and the capacity to protect and save others.

Sometimes we may have doubts and hesitation when relating to the Buddha’s teachings, but do not leave it with that. It is very important to validate what is trustworthy and what is not. My teachers mentioned four kinds of validation. First are the words of a perfectly enlightened being, such as the Buddha, whose statements are never unwise. Then there are the teachings by the great masters of the lineage, passed from one to the other until today. Third are the instructions we receive from our own personal
teacher. Finally, to decide with certainty, we need the validation of our own intelligence. Do not leave anything to blind faith or conventional belief.

Examine for yourself what is really the truth.

What is the reason for the misery and pain every living being undergoes?

What is the cause of samsara’s delusion?

It is nothing other than lacking the experience of our enlightened essence. We ignore what is primordially present within us: our buddha nature. Instead, immersed in confused emotions, we chase illusory aims that endlessly result in more deluded experience. That’s called samsara. We have already done that for countless lifetimes, life after life, death following rebirth. Unless you now take this opportunity, while you are still a human being, to realize what is fully possible, you will continue in the future in the same deluded way.Please understand that the buddha nature is present within everyone.Nobody lacks this potential, not even a single person in this world. Unless you learn how to bring it into your personal experience, train in that and realize it, you remain deluded. Delusion never disappears by itself. Spinning around on the rim of samsara’s vicious wheel, on the twelve links of dependent origination, you will continue life after life. We all die, are reborn, and die again, countless times.But, in this present life, you can learn to experience your enlightened essence, and if you do that, you can, before passing away, attain the perfectly and fully awakened state of a buddha. The method to transform this human body into rainbow light at the moment of death is only through recognizing and realizing our buddha nature; there is no other possible way. The instruction for how to do that is still available. Place your trust in the three jewels: the precious Buddha, dharma and sangha. Receive this teaching from someone who holds an unbroken lineage; this lineage is still intact. Otherwise, everyone dies; there is no exception. In the past, everyone who lived in this world died. Right now everyone alive will die. Everyone born int he future will also die. Everything in the world changes; nothing remains the same, nothing is permanent, nothing lasts. If you want to be successful, if you really want to take care of yourself recognize your enlightened essence.

- Extracted with permission from Rangjung Yeshe Publications, from "Repeating the Words of the Buddha", by Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche

Deep bows, to anyone working day after day to chip away what obscures complete realization.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, stirling said:

But, in this present life, you can learn to experience your enlightened essence, and if you do that, you can, before passing away, attain the perfectly and fully awakened state of a buddha

what good does it do?

It is present in every state, both samsara and nirvana, and in all sentient beings; there is no exception. Experience your buddha nature,

if it is already present what difference it makes if we experience it or not?

What is the reason for the misery and pain every living being undergoes?What is the cause of samsara’s delusion? it is nothing other than lacking the experience of our enlightened essence

huh? mosquitoes' and cows are miserable because they are lacking some experience?

endlessly result in more deluded experience. That’s called samsara. We have already done that for countless lifetimes, life after life, death following rebirth. Unless you now take this opportunity, while you are still a human being, to realize what is fully possible, you will continue in the future in the same deluded way

so how come we did not realise it before ?

four kinds of validation. First are the words of a perfectly enlightened being, such as the Buddha, whose statements are never unwise. Then there are the teachings by the great masters of the lineage, passed from one to the other until today. Third are the instructions we receive from our own personal
teacher. Finally, to decide with certainty, we need the validation of our own intelligence.

so all 4 validations are intellectual. like this

board seems to have bogged down in the pointless intellectual dissection

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

… the Buddha, whose statements are never unwise. ….

Sure, like that time the Buddha told the monks to contemplate their lack of beauty and a mass suicide followed by monks disgusted with their own bodies. (sarcasm)

Edited by Cobie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Taoist Texts said:

what good does it do?

Removes ignorance

Ends suffering

screenshot-2020-06-09-at-13.10.19-copy.jpg

"Now from the remainderless fading & cessation of that very ignorance comes the cessation of fabrications. From the cessation of fabrications comes the cessation of consciousness. From the cessation of consciousness comes the cessation of name-&-form. From the cessation of name-&-form comes the cessation of the six sense media. From the cessation of the six sense media comes the cessation of contact. From the cessation of contact comes the cessation of feeling. From the cessation of feeling comes the cessation of craving. From the cessation of craving comes the cessation of clinging/sustenance. From the cessation of clinging/sustenance comes the cessation of becoming. From the cessation of becoming comes the cessation of birth. From the cessation of birth, then aging & death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair all cease. Such is the cessation of this entire mass of stress & suffering."

huh? mosquitoes' and cows are miserable because they are lacking some experience?

Basically

Ignorance 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Shadow_self said:
21 minutes ago, Taoist Texts said:

what good does it do?

Removes ignorance

Ends suffering

unfortunately these are not explanations. these are empty disjointed words with no logical reasoning.  pretty much like the whole message above, which is typical for western "buddhism".

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Taoist Texts said:

unfortunately these are not explanations. these are empty disjointed words with no logical reasoning. 

The answers are in the diagram and underlying Sutta passage 

I assume someone of such mastery as yourself needs no explanation of how this applies and would definately not have trouble with  Pratītyasamutpāda ?

Edited by Shadow_self

Posted (edited)

Each to his own. I’m no longer going to reply on threads about Buddhism. I wish all Buddhist the best with their practice. :wub:

Edited by Cobie
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cobie said:

Each to his own. I’m no longer going to reply on threads about Buddhism. I wish all Buddhist the best with their practice. :wub:

It was intended as a thread about Buddhism... just as a thread on the very real potential to awaken in the present, in every moment for every being. :wub:

Posted (edited)

there is no ceasing in the Joy and Freedom of the Self,  fanatical like negation or a lute strung to tightly will snap...  Btw. the general forum is supposedly eclectic although we tend to toot our chosen ways which is ok as long as don't negate those that are following universal like dharmas that no one owns or has a monopoly on.

Edited by old3bob
  • Confused 1

It is in the end... the most natural.  The most accessible.  The most real.

It is in the end... what our natural state is...  When we can get out of our own way, it unfolds effortlessly in the manner of flowers opening in the morning dew.

No achieving, no striving required.

• Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
On 8/20/2024 at 10:46 AM, stirling said:

Unless you learn how to bring it into your personal experience, train in that and realize it, you remain deluded. ...The method to transform this human body into rainbow light at the moment of death is only through recognizing and realizing our buddha nature; there is no other possible way.

Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche

"Bring it into your personal experience, train in that and realize it..."--how to "train in that" and "actualize" it:

In his “Genjo Koan”, Dogen wrote:

When you find your place where you are, practice occurs, actualizing the fundamental point.

("Genjo Koan  [Actualizing the Fundamental Point]”, tr. Robert Aitken and Kazuaki Tanahashi)

Given a presence of mind that can “hold consciousness by itself”, activity in the body begins to coordinate by virtue of the sense of place associated with consciousness.  A relationship between the free location of consciousness and activity in the body comes forward, and as that relationship comes forward, “practice occurs”.  Through such practice, the placement of consciousness is manifested in the activity of the body.

Dogen continued:

When you find your way at this moment, practice occurs, actualizing the fundamental point…

(ibid)

“When you find your way at this moment”, activity takes place solely by virtue of the free location of consciousness. A relationship between the freedom of consciousness and the automatic activity of the body comes forward, and as that relationship comes forward, practice occurs. Through such practice, the placement of consciousness is manifested as the activity of the body.

("Take the Backward Step")

My approach:

I sit down first thing in the morning and last thing at night, and I look to experience the activity of the body solely by virtue of the free location of consciousness. As a matter of daily life, just to touch on such experience as occasion demands—for me, that’s enough.

(ibid)

"The method to transform this human body into rainbow light at the moment of death"--wonder on what experience the Rinpoche bases his claim that such a thing occurs?

Edited by Mark Foote

On 8/20/2024 at 1:46 PM, stirling said:

I thought, since the board seems to have bogged down in the pointless intellectual dissection of what "non-dual" means, that it might be nice to take a moment to reaffirm that the insight that is known variously as enlightenment, realization, alignment with the Dao, realization of the Self, etc. isn't some unattainable nonsense, or we wouldn't BE here talking about it. It is in fact attainable in this lifetime, and happens ALL THE TIME. I have recently connected with a number of newer board members who have this understanding, and know a number of others on the board who have as well. It remains possible in any moment.

In this spirit I would like to re-share a document by a well-regarded Tibetan teacher that always warms my heart. Keep in mind I am not (and he would not) say that his suggested practices and lineage are not the ONLY practices or lineage that might make one available to have the accident of insight. There are an infinite number of gates to realization. In fact, most of the realized people I have met weren't doing any practice at all when it occurred. 

Deep bows, to anyone working day after day to chip away what obscures complete realization.

Thanks for sharing Rinpoche's aspirations and encouragement. I think it's a wonderful message if received with an open heart and mind. I also feel that if one were to want to send a message out to the world about the potential for all people to discover inner peace and liberation from suffering, the language needs to be such that as many people as possible can receive it with an open heart and mind. The language of Rinpoche's message is so steeped in Tibetan Buddhist jargon, I feel it misses the target for many people. With due respect, it doesn't sound all that different from the remarks of a Christian offering salvation to all who come to Christ, when I read it objectively. I think Rinpoche would probably agree that different people need different paths and methods based on their culture and their karma but his words come across, for me, quite narrow and exclusive to those who would embrace Buddhadharma. Of course, this is his message, rooted in his training, his culture, and perhaps he is focusing his message to Buddhists, but I think there is a missed opportunity here to reach more people. There was a time when I felt a bit of frustration with my own teacher for being very progressive and teaching in a way that has quite a distance from the more traditional concepts and methods. It's now clear to me that his objective is to make his language and practical method open and non-denominational enough to reach as wide an audience as possible and I deeply appreciate that. 

On 8/20/2024 at 3:07 PM, Taoist Texts said:

what good does it do?

I can only speak of what good it has done me. A profound experience of empathy, beyond what can be adequately stated in words, such that it has reverberated in my heart and mind and influenced my life for the past 2 decades. It has deepened my relationships with my loved ones and with casual acquaintances. It has freed me from a great deal of anxiety and fear. It has opened my eyes and my heart to a deeper purpose in my life that has provided enormous benefits to myself and, objectively, to others as well. It has helped me to re-discover a passion for my work, making it far easier and making me better at what I do. These are just a few things that shifted for me and I do not claim complete enlightenment by a long shot but I have had a taste of what the teachings and practices offer. 

Things can be present and yet not of any value if they are not cultivated and in a form which permit access and utilization. For example, milk is not very tasty when poured over spaghetti but parmesan cheese is. I can own a great bicycle but without a chain and tires, or without legs, it won't be useful. I may have a wonderful voice but without training my potential is limited. The message is that all living beings are connected to the essence of Buddha-nature but it is the access and experience which enrich our lives. 

Well, many cows get locked in stalls from birth and then slaughtered for our pleasure as mosquitos get squashed for our displeasure. I don't know that it's so much about their lack of some experience but the message I glean is more about acknowledging and experiencing gratitude for the benefits of this human life and making use of it for personal growth and the benefit of others. 

This is a tough question to answer. One metaphor I've heard is that of rolled paper. Roll up a piece of paper for a month, or for a few decades, and what happens? When you unroll it, it tends to roll right back up again. Delusion is sticky and our personal, social, and cultural conditioning runs very deep - as deep as millennia of ignorance and related conditioning. Realization is relatively rare but that's what makes it so precious. 

so all 4 validations are intellectual. like this

No, not at all. The teaching he is alluding to, as I have received it, relates to how to take information and transform it into realization. The way I've been taught is that first we must be exposed to wisdom teachings of some sort, in this case Buddhist, but I think this applies to any of them - Bön, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Christian, Jain - so many have an encoded core of wisdom. The teachings themselves must be credible and this is related both to the source (in this case Buddha Shakyamuni, but IMO it is not limited to him) and to the purity of transmission which must insure the teachings are passed down without alteration, without losing their power and precision. This is why an unbroken lineage of transmission is so dearly valued in many experiential traditions, be it Bön (the Zhangzhung Nyengyüd transmission claims to be unbroken from Kuntuzangpo, the primordial Buddha), Buddhist, or similarly lineages of martial arts traditions, like taijiquan. This is why we are concerned with accurate translations when we read texts and sutras, or those of us who are really committed learn other languages to access the "originals" to whatever degree that is possible. Next we need to be sure we accurately understand what has been passed down, what we have heard or read. This is why things like empowerment, transmission, and a relationship with a credible teacher or lineage master is so highly valued. Next we need to actually engage in the practice ourselves, not just understand intellectually , and see meaningful changes in our lives that indicate the intended effects of the practice are actually occurring. We then need to validate this by comparing our realization, intellectual and experiential, to that described in the classic texts and teachings. This brings us round full circle and closes the loop of experiential transmission. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 20/08/2024 at 8:07 PM, Taoist Texts said:

what good does it do?

That's a very good question.  The word 'experience' is a bad choice by Rinpoche ... since it suggests a testing out of the reality of something.  For the Buddha-nature (which by the way is not a universally accepted Buddhist idea - many schools refute it either totally or partially.  I think that if you ask what good a thing is - and you remove the moral sense of good (vs bad) and just look at effectiveness and virtue - then you could say that realising your buddha-nature would give gnosis as to what is true and what is not and also immortality or indestructibility as your identity would be completely not different to the absolute.

On 20/08/2024 at 8:07 PM, Taoist Texts said:

Experiences make no difference (except perhaps as events).

• Thanks 1