SpiritualHulk

I'm excited. I am now going to start my Qi Gong practice.

Are any of you a fan of Shifu Yan Lei? I bought both his instant health book and video. The book is gonna take at least a full week to be delivered to me, but I got the video fully downloaded.

As was said in my intro post, I am an athlete who is looking for a spiritual practice.

What are your thoughts on Qi Gong and Shifu Yan Lei? He is a Shaolin Buddhist, I know. But... Close enough I guess?

Look folks, I’m not one to complain but… I’m Asian who is very versed in white people military history. I am now venturing more into Eastern philosophy instead of re-reading another chapter of Marcus Aurelius’s book. Please make me feel like this is a welcoming community instead of me seeing this as a ghost town.

I’m about to engage in Qi Gong from a video course and book by renowned Qi Gong expert, bro.

On 8/23/2024 at 11:32 PM, SpiritualHulk said:

I bought both his instant health book

the title sounds hilariously snake-oiilie

Shifu Yan Lei is a 34th-generation fighting disciple from the Shaolin Temple in Henan Province, China. He teaches thousands of students through his Shaolin Warrior DVD series and is among the most respected and renowned teachers of authentic Shaolin Qigong. He is the author of Instant Health. He lives in London.

why is he in London again? How many years is a generation? https://www.shifuyanlei.co.uk/collections/jade oh he sells tchotchkes

2 hours ago, SpiritualHulk said:

m about to engage in Qi Gong from a video course and book by renowned Qi Gong expert, bro.

what are your goals? what are his promises?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, SpiritualHulk said:

Look folks, I’m not one to complain but… I’m Asian who is very versed in white people military history. I am now venturing more into Eastern philosophy instead of re-reading another chapter of Marcus Aurelius’s book. Please make me feel like this is a welcoming community instead of me seeing this as a ghost town.

I’m about to engage in Qi Gong from a video course and book by renowned Qi Gong expert, bro.

Unfortunately us Asians are a minority on this site, bro! Where are you from?

I can’t say much about Shifu Yan Lei as I don’t know him or what he teaches. I’m doing Flying Phoenix qigong and Tan Tao Pai qigong from Sifu Terry as my main qigong practices. Let us know how it is though.

Edited by -ꦥꦏ꧀ ꦱꦠꦿꦶꦪꦺꦴ-
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Taoist Texts said:

the title sounds hilariously snake-oiilie

why is he in London again? How many years is a generation? https://www.shifuyanlei.co.uk/collections/jade oh he sells tchotchkes

what are your goals? what are his promises?

All of health and wellness outside of diet and exercise that doesn’t involve prescription drugs is snake oily. That’s the point.

My goal is to get the mental health benefits of doing qi gong. I don’t expect qi gong to give me anything special other than a mental health boost.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, -ꦥꦏ꧀ ꦱꦠꦿꦶꦪꦺꦴ- said:

Unfortunately us Asians are a minority on this site, bro! Where are you from?

I can’t say much about Shifu Yan Lei as I don’t know him or what he teaches. I’m doing Flying Phoenix qigong and Tan Tao Pai qigong from Sifu Terry as my main qigong practices. Let us know how it is though.

Thanks.

I’m Filipino living in the US for the past twenty years.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SpiritualHulk said:

Please make me feel like this is a welcoming community instead of me seeing this as a ghost town.

Welcome, SpiritualHulk.

Please let us know what have you learnt from your video of Qi Gong.  In addition, what have you discovered about Qi Gong from now and before? Did you learn something new or never have any idea what Qi Gong is all about?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChiDragon said:

Welcome, SpiritualHulk.

Please let us know what have you learnt from your video of Qi Gong.  In addition, what have you discovered about Qi Gong from now and before? Did you learn something new or never have any idea what Qi Gong is all about?

Hello. Thank you.

All I know about Qi Gong is that it is a mind-body practice that involves movements that boost mental health. It is a form of standing meditation. It is humans manipulating the flow of their Qi/Chi/Ki in their bodies.

That's it. I do it to learn something new and to gain the mental health benefits of it.

Also, it looks cooler than yoga or zazen.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SpiritualHulk said:

Hello. Thank you.

All I know about Qi Gong is that it is a mind-body practice that involves movements that boost mental health. It is a form of standing meditation. It is humans manipulating the flow of their Qi/Chi/Ki in their bodies.

You welcome!

Please just don't forget to put some emphasis on breathing. It is very important in Qi Gong and martial arts.

• Like 1

On 24/8/2024 at 5:32 AM, SpiritualHulk said:

Are any of you a fan of Shifu Yan Lei? I bought both his instant health book and video. 

That's already a red flag.

On 24/8/2024 at 5:32 AM, SpiritualHulk said:

What are your thoughts on Qi Gong and Shifu Yan Lei?

Id personally stay away from this sort of teacher. But that's me and I'm picky.

This is my style of teacher:

Ma Gui had a reputation for being an extremely conservative teacher who demanded the very best of his students. As a busy lumber merchant he did not have to teach professionally and he was therefore able to maintain extremely high standards in training. Fiercely dedicated to the traditional way he had been taught Bagua by Yin Fu and Dong Haichuan, he refused to modify his teachings to make them easier and felt that "anyone who felt the skill was too difficult to learn should not be taught in the first place."

Quoted from:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ma_Gui_(martial_artist)

On 8/25/2024 at 1:54 AM, SpiritualHulk said:

Please make me feel like this is a welcoming community instead of me seeing this as a ghost town.

Hello and welcome!

I also practice qigong. It is not my primary practice but I practice both ba duan jin and shi ba luo han. I find that ba duan jin is very healing for the physical body and generally practice after running or other vigorous exercise, or when recovering from injury. Shi ba luo han is more demanding and I use it on active recovery days and for strengthening and training balance. 

You’ll find some people here are supportive and welcoming. Others are critical and rather narrow minded. It’s a small cross section of society interested in a variety of Eastern ideas and practices. I hope you enjoy and benefit from your new qigong practice.