I'm doing a smoothie diet right now. I make one giant blender full once a day, which has an exact measured amount equaling a certain amount of micronutrients/calories/etc. and eat it throughout the day, keeping my fridge at the coldest setting so it doesn't melt. It's formulated so that it's about 500 calories less than my basal metabolic rate + energy expenditure so that I lose ~ 1 lb of fat per week. It not the most exciting diet, but it's simple and effective. I add many nutritional powders to it, everything from Chlorella to panax ginseng, all measured out in exact amounts. I'm choosing to do this because I have an eating disorder, which is partly binge/purge, and so I decided to learn discipline with not needing anything special taste wise. It's a complete diet, lacking nothing and I probably spend $400 per month on all the special ingredients, including many exotic ingredients, including Iboga, Matcha, high ORAC value extracts, probably like 20 different nutritional supplements. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I am doing one meal a day now, in the afternoon, around 5.30 or 6.00 pm, only fruit (one kind only almost every day), as it is the least obstructive kind of food. But it is not easy, I can tell you!

Edited by Kojiro
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, CrazyfoxAli said:

It's a complete diet, lacking nothing and I probably spend $400 per month on all the special ingredients, including many exotic ingredients, including Iboga, Matcha, high ORAC value extracts, probably like 20 different nutritional supplements. 

Iboga??  Could you be more specific, please?  Far as I know, it's a psychedelic (or rather entheogen) which in the US is both illegal and unavaliable.  Where's the place that uses it as a food supplement?  I've never heard of such use, though I know quite a bit about its shamanic/psychotherapy aid properties.    

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, NaturaNaturans said:

When, what kind of food, how often etc. l am asking both because ive gained some weight, and because I want to be healthier.

In general eat normal food, properly cooked meals that have a balance of protein both from meat/fish and legumes, carbs, vegies.

Replace saturated fats with fats from fish, olive oil etc.

Reduce carbs a bit while you are trying lose weight.

Eat fruits, salads

Walk 5-10k a day.

Have a cheat day once a week to eat sweets or a pizza.

That's what my GP had recommended when, in a similar situation, I had asked him this, it worked wonders🙂

Edited by snowymountains
  • Like 2

Oh and take it easy aim to lose 2kg-3kg a month, not more. If you lose more weight to get done quickly, it's more likely you'll regain it quickly.

Another interesting stat I remember from my GP, most people gain weight during holidays and then don't lose it. Weight gains are not linear over time, so be mindful of what you eat during holidays.

• Like 1

I eat at Mc Donalds  usually a few burgers and heap of fries and wash it down with shakes . 

Then I internally transform it all via Daoist inner alchemy into golden light prana food .

:) 

• Haha 4
  • Wow 1

38 minutes ago, Nungali said:

I eat at Mc Donalds  usually a few burgers and heap of fries and wash it down with shakes . 

Then I internally transform it all via Daoist inner alchemy into golden light prana food .

:) 

Nungali, the walking paradox ❤️

Posted (edited)

I just cooked this (about to start of spring in Australia):

Cacciucco di ceci (Tuscan Chickpea and Swiss Chard Soup)

Love the honesty and straight forward approach of Italian cuisine.

I felt like in heaven after I finished eating the soup.

Every day is a different dish; variety is the key and it's important taking always into account your food preferences based on your body type location and lifestyle as well as seasonal changes. Someone living in Norway would need to lot more far in their diet to combat cold as opposed as someone living in the Middle East.

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Taomeow said:

Iboga??  Could you be more specific, please?  Far as I know, it's a psychedelic (or rather entheogen) which in the US is both illegal and unavaliable.  Where's the place that uses it as a food supplement?  I've never heard of such use, though I know quite a bit about its shamanic/psychotherapy aid properties.    

I order it from Gabon area, Bwiti cultist supplied rootbark. I take mini-doses usually, approximately 1g/day, with days off since it has a long half life. It has stimulating effects, and is a plant teacher of reknown. It also has neuroprotective and neuroregenerative, SSRI like effects. I always mix in entheogenic substances, along with adaptogens, and micro or mini doses of this or that. "All natural" and experimental. Other things like Kanna or Blue Lotus.

• Wow 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Shadow_self said:

At the moment, barely anything

Ahare patikulasanna has taken on an entirely new meaning

what do you mean? explain yourself please, are you fasting or feasting? :)

Edited by Kojiro

3 hours ago, Kojiro said:

what do you mean? explain yourself please, are you fasting or feasting? :)

contemplation of the repulsiveness of food = āhārepaṭikūlasaññā

Buddhist practice.

Tends to make you not want to eat much, if anything

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Shadow_self said:

Buddhist practice.

do you have any link or info to share about this practice?

1 hour ago, Kojiro said:

do you have any link or info to share about this practice?

Link? : No, I was not taught it in a manner thats available online.

Info: I dont recommend it. Its not for weight loss or health. Unless its part of a whole system, the most likely scenario is a very unhealthy relationship with food 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Shadow_self said:

Buddhist practice.

Ooooo .. I had    a nasty weekend like that .  I was camping behind the front dunes at a  beach, just me and two others and I had been fasting ( a slow wind down and I was on my second day of water only  after  2 days of juice , after a period of very light food ), they where doing similar,  it was going good , but we had friends coming to stay the weekend there .

The barbarians !  All that time spent .....  carry food there, storing it, collecting firewood, cooking , eating ;like animals , and then they had to go and make a toilet pit ... and kept going there and crapping all the time .... disgusting ! 

But after a while my knees started going a bit wobbly  and other things got a bit  wobbly too , so I started eating bits of fruit , which gave an incredible energy burst , but it didnt last long .   Then I ate some boiled potatoes with pepper salt and butter on them .

MMMMM   mmmmmmmmmmm ! 

- back to being an animal .

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, Shadow_self said:

Buddhist practice.

Honestly not worth it, it's not meant for a diet anyhow, it's also de-emphasised in Theravada practice.

It's aim is to work on attachment to food, essentially it's a decensitisation. To do decensitisation specific good reasons are needed, eg smoking cessation, and is almost never done in isolation.

Decensitisation makes someone detest something but alone it's typically not enough as equivalently strong sensory stimuli are also needed as a replacement. There are a few other important factors on this as well but expanding would take a long post.

As an example from the relatively recent past, decensitisation was the main technique used in conversion therapies, which did tremendous damage to people because decensitisation succeeded ( they detested having sex with a same-sex partner ).

This led to depression, suicides etc.

So I guess what my message is that decensitisation is in general better avoided as a personal meditation practice.

It needs specific reasons, specific scope, doesn't apply to everything, needs to be complemented with other techniques.

33 minutes ago, snowymountains said:

Honestly not worth it, it's not meant for a diet anyhow, it's also de-emphasised in Theravada practice.

This is a non public version of the practice :)

The type of Theravada I do is much more traditional, it existed long before the current iteration that you see. 

It's aim is to work on attachment to food, essentially it's a decensitisation. To do decensitisation specific good reasons are needed, eg smoking cessation, and is almost never done in isolation.

It would be irresponsible and out of context to detail the version I work here. 

Its less about attachment to food and more about attachment in general. Karma, rebirth...long winded discussion :)  

Its a non negotiotiable aspect of the training, and has to be done.  Theres no way around it, but yes , as  you rightly mentioned it is done for a very specific reason as part of the wider system :) 

Decensitisation makes someone detest something but alone it's typically not enough as equivalently strong sensory stimuli are also needed as a replacement. There are a few other important factors on this as well but expanding would take a long post.

As an example from the relatively recent past, decensitisation was the main technique used in conversion therapies, which did tremendous damage to people because decensitisation succeeded ( they detested having sex with a same-sex partner ).

This led to depression, suicides etc.

So I guess what my message is that decensitisation is in general better avoided as a personal meditation practice.

It needs specific reasons, specific scope, doesn't apply to everything, needs to be complemented with other techniques.

Theres no replacement of sensory stimulation.

In this case, it would actually be counterintuitive to the aims of it

At the higher levels (more esoteric)  you work at overcoming the need for food ( I am taking later stage here), as certain changes lead to a monumentous shift in the way the body works

But long before that, theres much work to be done, and its quite taxing on the body and mind. :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shadow_self said:

This is a non public version of the practice :)

The type of Theravada I do is much more traditional, it existed long before the current iteration that you see. 

All of Thai, Sri Lanka and Burmese Theravada have all their practices fully open, there's no non-public part.

Some meditations are not practiced by laymen but they're not secret.

5 minutes ago, Shadow_self said:

Its less about attachment to food and more about attachment in general. Karma, rebirth...long winded discussion :)  

Its a non negotiotiable aspect of the training, and has to be done.  Theres no way around it, but yes , as  you rightly mentioned it is done for a very specific reason as part of the wider system :) 

Theres no replacement of sensory stimulation.

In this case, it would actually be counterintuitive to the aims of it

At the higher levels (more esoteric)  you work at overcoming the need for food ( I am taking later stage here), as certain changes lead to a monumentous shift in the way the body works

But long before that, theres much work to be done, and its quite taxing on the body and mind. :) 

Are you sure it is Theravada and not something based on Theravada ?

All Theravada practices are in the Suttas and slight variations of them, with commentary, in the visuddhimagga ( or equivalent commentary works ). There's nothing secret.

On 8/26/2024 at 5:44 AM, NaturaNaturans said:

When, what kind of food, how often etc. l am asking both because ive gained some weight, and because I want to be healthier.

Work days (8 - 10 hours) - usually 3 meals per day, the mid day meal gives me some energy as well as a psychological break.

Off days - usually 2 meals per day, late morning and early evening.

I eat mostly veggies, nuts (prefer sprouted), fruits, grains (whole or sprouted), seafood, and rare red or white meat - very little fowl, just don't like the taste. I do my best to insure my meat and eggs are humanely sourced.

Treats are mainly dark chocolate, fruit, and nuts but occasionally some ice cream, maybe once a week.

No added sugar, no foods containing sugar, or processed foods (well, as little as possible), and rare alcohol - maybe once or twice a month, more if I'm traveling.

When I go to a nice restaurant I indulge fully if there is something on the menu I want to try.

I think the most important change one can make is to delete sugar, processed foods, and alcohol from the diet and to exercise vigorously and frequently. I made this change about 6 months ago and dropped 15 pounds in a few months. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, snowymountains said:

All of Thai, Sri Lanka and Burmese Theravada have all their practices fully open, there's no non-public part.

Some meditations are not practiced by laymen but they're not secret.

They are not im afraid.

These  systems of  practices  and methods are definately secret, (though some are scattered around in bits)  and  really not something I wish to discuss to be honest.

What you mentioned  are more modern presentations,  mostly after the reform which reorientated things towards Vipassana 

The tantric systems that were more open prior to the current presentation, use things like external and internal alchemy, magic, yantra, mantra, mudra, rituals,  and require initation past the basic entry stages. 

External alchemy plays a role in moving towards moving away from food down the line. But im not going to get into that here

25 minutes ago, snowymountains said:

Are you sure it is Theravada and not something based on Theravada ?

I am 100% certain

25 minutes ago, snowymountains said:

All Theravada practices are in the Suttas and slight variations of them, with commentary, in the visuddhimagga ( or equivalent commentary works ). There's nothing secret.

Thats not true. Its also beyond the scope of this thread, so lets not delve into this . Im really not open to discussing this type of practice as much as I am to the daoist side of things, which has far greater public accessibility

Nothing personal, its just not something I wish to get into :)