How has your beliefs, religion, spirituality, affected your life script. Eric Berne (psychologist) stated “we develop our life script in our early years,  experiencing significant events can alter our life path”. I came across Daoism in my twenties, I believe this altered my life script, I realised a purpose in my being. I changed over a period of time. I started a journey, I am still on that journey, with the same passion and interest. What was life changing for you, how did it come about, how has it affected your life script ?

• Like 2

I think a spiritual journey is bound to affect someone's life script aka how they internally filter various experiences. Eg an embodied spiritual experience of interconnectedness is bound to do this, but even a daily mantra has effect, or attendance at a Christian church mystery when done mindfully.

The same is true more generally if one experiences another culture as close as possible, similar to how modern anthropologists experience it.

Or puts themselves into another person's shoes and have real contact with them.

Imo it's a shift to a different way of being that's, a more interconnected way of being.

❤️ Eric Berne/TA

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DBT said:

How has your beliefs, religion, spirituality, affected your life script. Eric Berne (psychologist) stated “we develop our life script in our early years,  experiencing significant events can alter our life path”. I came across Daoism in my twenties, I believe this altered my life script, I realised a purpose in my being. I changed over a period of time. I started a journey, I am still on that journey, with the same passion and interest. What was life changing for you, how did it come about, how has it affected your life script ?

I see it the other way around .  For example  ....  I didnt see a red  fire engine racing past and got so excited I thought I wanted to be one of the men on on it  .   I ALWAYS *  wanted to be a fireman and when I first saw the truck , something clicked in me and I recognized my calling .

* just an example, I am not a fireman , although my father and his father had been

Now some might say I was confused and could not tell one from the other  ( between the 'stimulus' and the ' calling ' ), but of course such things can work themselves out  , a stimulus can be seen as just that to the to aware mind ;  "  I like the idea of  firemen , or I might be a volunteer firefighter as I was impressed by them as a  kid . "  Whereas 'one's calling ' *  there is a lot more than one 'stimulus'  if one is aware of it , one can get indications, pushes , help, coincidence , etc  that constantly reaffirm 'this is what you should be doing ' .

One postulates  pure   behavioral conditioning , the other is more magical / spiritual .

https://thelemicunion.com/10-myths-true-will-thelema/

http://heritageinstitute.com/zoroastrianism/overview/index.htm#khvarenah

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_Will#See_also

I suppose I could say there was one main event that turned me on to all that ... we might call it 'individuation' .  A sort of disconnect from what sourced  / 'fed you'    (usually seen as parents , this can be spiritual too , parents can seem 'God like' to the young  )   and a connection to  the ability to that yourself .

I was young , about 9 or 10 , I saw a mermaid under the water , looked up into the sky, there was a 'lady' up there  and she beamed light on me , and everything whited out for a while .  There was a lot more to it than that of course .

Over time I have had opportunity for  analysis and cross reference  to this  throughout my life , many different indications and reasons all point the same way to this being a very significant and developmental point in my life .

• Like 1

I've believed certain practices and philosophies have altered my life course.  But as I've grown older I don't think its so.  I am what I am.  The learnings and doings have not changed my course.  I am still the same canon ball arcing through the sky.  Perhaps i've changed a shade or two.  

• Like 1

I supopose it a matter of if we develop our script as we go along , or if it has already been developed for us .

Moment to moment the perceived phenomena of the world arise, along with your thoughts of the future, or memories of the past, all of it interconnected, arising together, forming both your past and your imagined future. We create our stories of the past, and imagined future, on this basis. What we are in charge of is how we respond, our intention, for the next moment, but even THAT is conditioned by what is arising.

Does our past still have a hold on us, events and experiences from long ago, do they still hold sway in our lives. Can we/should try to avoid them or cancel them out.

This is just me thinking aloud.

11 hours ago, DBT said:

Does our past still have a hold on us, events and experiences from long ago, do they still hold sway in our lives. Can we/should try to avoid them or cancel them out.

When we are at home, we have an identity we adopt with our families. When we we are out with our friends there is another. At work we have yet another identity. Which is the real "I"? In my experience, NONE of the above. There isn't one. Our stories about the "self" arise in the context of the whole undifferentiated field of experience in the moment we occupy. The ingredients of the "self" we adopt is only a small part of that experience. To the degree that we identify with what arises, the "self" that appears in the moment become the aperture through which we shade our reality. We might be a parental figure, a spiteful co-worker, a subservient partner, or any role we adopt and make real. 

In the tradition I work in, the antidote is to learn to identify the clean, clear awareness that is present in every moment with meditation, and realize that IT is what we are, and not grasp on to the components of identity. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DBT said:

Well, that's a deep question.

E.g. Who is to say if someone's anger, due to generational abuse of their minority, is better seen through a different view that will lower the anger?, or the anger is exactly the fuel needed for necessary social change?

What is better? I'd say whatever is genuine and feels more true for each individual. There's no one size fits all.

Edited by snowymountains
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, DBT said:

Maybe I am misunderstandint the question. If so, apologies. If not, I would say most definetly yes. Who can say that a break up for instance, did not effect their personality and world view for a good time afterwords?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NaturaNaturans said:

Maybe I am misunderstandint the question. If so, apologies. If not, I would say most definetly yes. Who can say that a break up for instance, did not effect their personality and world view for a good time afterwords?

It was an open question, you interpreted it well. It raises the question “are there events that may have affected us that we are not even aware of “?

11 minutes ago, DBT said:

“are there events that may have affected us that we are not even aware of “?

There are pre-natal events that have affected us and we're not aware of them/have no memory of them.

Also, we're not aware of/retain no memory of events in early developmental stages that have affected us.

There are also events that we are aware of but cannot always causally connect as to how they have affected us. We may not even be aware of the effect in the here and now.

Plus there are even intergenerational events, which took place before we were born, that happened to our ancestors, and have affected us.

Edited by snowymountains
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DBT said:

It raises the question “are there events that may have affected us that we are not even aware of “?

Yes, many people are effected deeply by events they are not aware of.  I almost want to say...the less awareness, the greater the effect. Take, for instance, the trauma of surviving a natural disaster. Unless we were very young when the disaster occured, we´ll likely have a memory of the event.  But some people will be keenly aware of details and their emotional reactions. The more awareness we have, the more choice we´ll have about how and to what extent the trauma effects us in the future.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

Unless we were very young when the disaster occured, we´ll likely have a memory of the event. 

Absolutely.

18 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

The more awareness we have, the more choice we´ll have about how and to what extent the trauma effects us in the future.

Yes awareness is necessary.

But a life script or view is little more complicated because it acts as an aggregate of all things and it's the filter through which we build our awareness.

Eg to avoid overcomplicating or theorising and pick a clear example, let's say someone was raised by a "sh!t" family, then went to a "sh!t" school. He then forms the view that "people are sh!t", which also is an 100% accurate description of his reality, so far at least.

Then he meets someone and he filters the whole experience through the filter that this entirely new person can only be "sh!t" as well, which is his lived experience so far. Meaning his awareness at that point is also affected by the view. Eg his bodily sensations will be the same as if a sh!t person said the same words, regardless of whether that new person is sh!t or not.

Of course if someone was aware of all the cumulative experiences in their lifetime, including ones they cannot possibly have a memory of, they might had been able to connect everything.

But that's not possible, it's just difficult to look at one's own back.

• Like 1