Lukks

QiGong in public

How do you guys practice QiGong or meditation in public?

There was a very old post about it but that post was about this subject and it was great, if someone finds it please comment it here.

I don't have a garden to practice Zhan Zhuang and I really wanted to do it feet on the ground, but the simple idea of people making fun, laughing, recording, taking pics etc.. these things completely wards me off of trying this.

Do you think the problem is on me? Should I just do it and don't care about what people will think?

Or should I just keep doing it indoors and avoid "trouble"?

Where I live this is not common at all, no one does qigong or such things in public, actually, very few know about qigong in the first place

Recently I've been meditating on the bus, but I don't cross my legs, I just use the normal seated position with back straight and mudra, I can do it for 10min until I arrive at my destination, and when I finish and open my eyes it's just noticeable people looking at me and trying to figure out what I was doing haha, not the most comfortable situation for a shy person like me

I would love to hear your take on this:D

Edited by Lukks

9 minutes ago, Lukks said:

I don't have a garden to practice Zhan Zhuang and I really wanted to do it feet on the ground, but the simple idea of people making fun, laughing, recording, taking pics etc.. these things completely wards me off of trying this.

Do you think the problem is on me? Should I just do it and don't care about what people will think?

Where I live this is not common at all, no one does qigong or such things in public, actually, very few know about qigong in the first place

Recently I've been meditating on the bus, but I don't cross my legs, I just use the normal seated position with back straight and mudra, I can do it for 10min and when I finish and open my eyes it's just noticeable people looking at me and trying to figure out what I was doing haha, not the most comfortable situation for a shy person like me

There are so many forms of QiGong.   Let's confine to static ones.  It is better to do it indoors.  The primary concern is wind or draft, which is bad on a stationery person, causing chill into the body (as all your pores are opened).   ZZ can be done inside a small room.   Don't believe pictures like sitting on top of mountain or facing a lake.  They are not good.    Secondly if you can go deep, sudden disturbance from the outside could be lethal.   Ridicule from others is a problem but not comparable to this.

As to meditating on bus, it is not necessary to cross your legs and have mudra.  Just sit normally not too straight, back touching the seat, feet plant on the ground, is good enough.  If you insist on a more "formal" approach, you can "complete the circuit", let the feet touch each other and one hand holding/touching another hand.   No one will ever notice.  But beware of pickpockets in case you fall into sleep.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Similarly I think there's benefit to doing chi gong.. in your mind.  Sitting I'll imagine myself going through the motions.  Often large motions turn into tiny ones as I sit.   It's not an exact substitute for the real thing but I believe there are benefits to it.  A chance to feel the energetics of the form.  

It's so nice doing the forms and meditating outside that it's worth the stares.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I usually don´t worry about what strangers think of me, but, speaking from experience, I wouldn´t recommend doing spontaneous qigong in airports.  

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Haha 5

23 hours ago, Master Logray said:

There are so many forms of QiGong.   Let's confine to static ones.  It is better to do it indoors.  The primary concern is wind or draft, which is bad on a stationery person, causing chill into the body (as all your pores are opened).  

There are indeed many forms of qigong and here is a the first episode of a series of instructional videos featuring a competent teacher who is teaching and practicing both static and moving chi kung outdoors.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2024 at 1:09 PM, Lukks said:

There was a very old post about it but that post was about this subject and it was great, if someone finds it please comment it here.

Recently I've been meditating on the bus, but I don't cross my legs, I just use the normal seated position with back straight and mudra, I can do it for 10min until I arrive at my destination, and when I finish and open my eyes it's just noticeable people looking at me and trying to figure out what I was doing haha, not the most comfortable situation for a shy person like me

I would love to hear your take on this:D

I think it is something we need to approach based on our level of comfort.

If the feelings of self-consciousness interfere with the ability to relax and concentrate, I would practice inside.

I have gotten to the point where I am comfortable practicing qigong, zhan zhuang, and internal martial arts forms in public, I even meet up with some others and practice pushing hands occasionally in public. 

I recommend you practice early in the morning or after sundown as it could help with the embarrassment.

Over time, as you feel more confidence in and benefit from your practice, you may be more comfortable practicing in front of others. 

The most important thing is to be able to really engage and focus on the practice. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, liminal_luke said:

I usually don´t worry about what strangers think of me, but, speaking from experience, I wouldn´t recommend doing spontaneous qigong in airports.  

Lol, been there and done that. Our flight got grounded because of a Typhoon and we got stuck in Hong Kong. I think the locals found it very funny to see a westerner there in airport and outside hotel doing moving qigong (probably quite badly) 

I tell you though it's one thing I miss about the parks over that way. I lived in Taiwan and in Taichung parks where I lived, it was totally normal for adults to be exercising , in many ways. Walking swinging arms even when they the stop at traffic lights to cross, they have a few movements for the body instead of standing still. 

I miss that, and the Tai Chi in the mornings, sometimes fully robed monks would just step into the group formation in the park and show them how it's done. So graceful and powerful, such strong Chi. 

Or seeing the monk chanting and meditating outside of the restaurant door. Very special. 

no if you feel like doing a set in the park just find a quiet spot and do it... You will inspire people with your bravery I think. Be authentic, but definitely wear shades on the bus!!!

Edited by Thrice Daily
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Thrice Daily said:

You will inspire people with your bravery I think. Be authentic..... !!!

Yes, at first, it was not too quite comfortable. You only can feel more comfortable if you get over the fear. I did the Taiji hand movements in the airplane while standing with people watch TV or me. After awhile, I feel relaxed when I pretend that nobody was there watching me. I was, also, feeling kind of proud that I am doing Taiji to show off.

• Thanks 1

You can't do that in the West. Anywhere in Asia people don't care as they are used to it.

Find a secluded spot in a quiet park, which is what I used to do, and practice outside public hours: pre-dawn, early am, sunset, past sunset and night time. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/10/2024 at 11:09 AM, Lukks said:

but the simple idea of people making fun, laughing, recording, taking pics etc..

I'm not sure what country you might be in, but I've practiced in public all over the U.S. (including in very conservative Christian areas) and have never gotten any of that. One time, a little boy asked his mom what I was doing when I was doing standing practice and she said "He's working out." Other than that, no one has said anything. Most people are too caught up in their own stories to care as much as we think. Also, a lot of people are generally familiar with tai chi, yoga, etc.  

• Thanks 1

On 9/11/2024 at 10:17 AM, Giles said:

There are indeed many forms of qigong and here is a the first episode of a series of instructional videos featuring a competent teacher who is teaching and practicing both static and moving chi kung outdoors.

FYI
@ 2:40 Nowadays, it has been determined that is the worse exercise. Making circle with the knees is very detrimental to the knee joints.  It was recommended to drop this knee exercise for good.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ChiDragon said:

… that is the worse exercise …

Exactly. One must keep the knees in line with the toes. :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, ChiDragon said:

FYI
@ 2:40 Nowadays, it has been determined that is the worse exercise. Making circle with the knees is very detrimental to the knee joints.  It was recommended to drop this knee exercise for good.

Thanks. 🙏🏻

What's your source?

Edited by Giles

1 minute ago, Cobie said:

Such fun, alliteration, “competent” rhymes with clowns and crap.

So you consider that Lam Kam Chuen is "crap" and a "clown", do you?

Edited by Giles

37 minutes ago, Giles said:

Thanks. 🙏🏻

What's your source?

In China, there were many people practicing Taiji improperly and damaged their knee joints. The swirl movement was causing the grinding of the bones in the knee caps. The proper way to exercise one leg is by moving both foot and knee together simultaneously. Just by moving the knees is causing to much stress at the knee joint.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ChiDragon said:

In China, there were many people practicing Taiji improperly and damaged their knee joints. The swirl movement was causing the grinding of the bones in the knee caps. The proper way to exercise one leg is by moving both foot and knee together simultaneously. Just by moving the knees is causing to much stress at the knee joint.

So, if I understood you correctly, this has nothing to do with the brief Chi Kung warm-up exercises, taught by Sifu Lam but instead it relates to the improper practice of Tai Chi?

13 minutes ago, Giles said:

So, if I understood you correctly, this has nothing to do with the brief Chi Kung warm-up exercises, taught by Sifu Lam but instead it relates to the improper practice of Tai Chi?

The same erroneous movement is in both exercises. Is that clear? It was the erroneous knee movement that makes the Taiji practice improper! It is also in the ZZ warm up exercise. 

Edited by ChiDragon

1 minute ago, ChiDragon said:

The same erronous movement is in both exercises. Is that clear?

No, but I'm sure that your warning will ring all the right bells anyway... 😊

Incidentally, here's a video of one of Sifu Lam's students practicing Lam-style Tai Chi just in case you'd like to take it upon yourself critique that, as well. 😊

10 minutes ago, Giles said:

No, but I'm sure that your warning will ring all the right bells anyway... 😊

Incidentally, here's a video of one of Sifu Lam's students practicing Lam-style Tai Chi just in case you'd like to take it upon yourself critique that, as well. 😊

Thank you! I see that he has been practiced for some time is because there is Jin in him. Do you have a video that show the lower part of his body. I would like to see how was he doing the stance?

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ChiDragon said:

Thank you! I see that he has been practiced for some time is because there is Jin in him. Do you have a video that show the lower part of his body. I would like to see how was he doing the stance?

Unfortunately, such videos don't exist.

However, I can assure you that William has no knee issues whatsoever and neither do I (although I only started practicing Lam-style Chi Kung in the mid-90s,.so perhaps I'll pay a price for ignoring your advice eventually 🤣).

• Haha 1