Lukks

QiGong in public

7 minutes ago, Giles said:

Unfortunately, such videos don't exist.

However, I can assure you that William has no knee issues whatsoever and neither do I (although I only started practicing Lam-style Chi Kung in the mid-90s,.so perhaps I'll pay a price for ignoring your advice eventually 🤣).

Just for your amusement, most of the Taiji moves should ended up with a bow stand. The key to it was that there must be a gap between to heels to maintain balance. In other words, both leg should not be in a straight line. Let me see if I can find some examples online.

Bow stance with Taiji walk.

Proper way:

His instruction for Taiji walk and bow stance are very good. I would use it as my standard in teaching. If you are ever in doubt, then, always come back for reference.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

‘lately I sometimes practice at a nearby park near a group doing tai chi to music.  They have kindly accepted my presence and I’ve made a few new acquaintances even though our practices and languages are different. Makes me feel a little less conspicuous practicing near to another group doing something similar though historically I’ve practiced a good deal in public (qi gong, yoga and martial arts) on a solo basis and I am quite accustomed to it. 

. . 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Giles said:

… critique that, as well. 

It’s like posting a video on how to swim in the water with only showing the arms, not the legs - it’s totally useless.  

Edited by Cobie

3 hours ago, Cobie said:

It’s like posting a video on how to swim in the water with only showing the arms, not the legs - it’s totally useless.  

Perhaps not entirely useless...  I broke my High School's 25m freestyle record in swimming (during my tryout for the team), and my style of swimming was 'quiet legs', which was about 30 years before its time.   Sometimes it's fine to focus myopically and fine tune aspects.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sahaja said:

‘lately I sometimes practice at a nearby park near a group doing tai chi to music.  They have kindly accepted my presence and I’ve made a few new acquaintances even though our practices and languages are different. Makes me feel a little less conspicuous practicing near to another group doing something similar though historically I’ve practiced a good deal in public (qi gong, yoga and martial arts) on a solo basis and I am quite accustomed to it. 

. . 

Why am I born in a place no one does these things in public, I'm gonna cry:wacko:

Actually I was thinking about just trying it once to see what will happen, not just simple moving qigong or ZZ, I was thinking about starting with something like spontaneous qigong, that would be wild

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Lukks said:

Why am I born in a place no one does these things in public, I'm gonna cry:wacko:

Actually I was thinking about just trying it once to see what will happen, not just simple moving qigong or ZZ, I was thinking about starting with something like spontaneous qigong, that would be wild

Don't worry about people - go do your thing. People might stare, they might laugh, but its okay - you just enjoy your QG or ZZ.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dwai said:

Don't worry about people - go do your thing. People might stare, they might laugh, but its okay - you just enjoy your QG or ZZ.

But do it in a park or something like that. I have a friend who was doing his gong at a public bus-stop and got tackled to the ground by two well-intentioned ladies who thought he was having an epileptic fit or stroke :D

• Haha 3

On 9/13/2024 at 11:31 PM, Lukks said:

Just give it a try! I've been doing rooting practice through basic stances (neutral, horse, cat, and sided stances) while on the train in Tokyo, and while it does look a bit weird, noone gives me trouble for it. It's been doing wonders for my practice too, as I've been averaging about 2 hours a day on the train lately.

• Thanks 1

On 9/13/2024 at 10:31 AM, Lukks said:

I was thinking about starting with something like spontaneous qigong, that would be wild

While I don't want to discourage you, I would not recommend starting with something like spontaneous qigong.

Practices that are rooted in spontaneity are the most vulnerable to our feelings of self-consciousness and to distraction. 

For true spontaneous movement to express itself the mind needs to be calm and comfortable, resting, alert, and very open.

The one technique my internal martial arts teacher suggested I always do in private was a spontaneous movement practice.

While I've played around with it a bit in public, on the beach, it is indeed difficult to really let go and be fully open and sensitive in such circumstances, at least for me. I think it's better to focus on a set pattern of movement as an anchor to the attention when the surroundings have a tendency to distract.

• Thanks 2