Sign in to follow this  
Ajay0

The ancient festival of Onam in southern India

The festival of Onam in south India begins on September 6 and end on September 15.

It is in honor of an ancient Indian ruler named Mahabali who was known for his generosity and virtuous conduct.

Due to the large spiritual merit attained by him in this universal cycle, Mahabali is said to ascend to the post of Indra, the king of the gods in heaven, in the  next universal cycle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onam

The story is significant not because Mahabali's rule ended, but it emphasises the Hindu belief in cyclical nature of events, that no individual, no ruler and nothing lasts forever, except the virtues and self-understanding that overcomes all sorrow.

• Thanks 1

This (for me) highlights how all our acts imbue our essence process to the wheel of samsara...

Even his storied, glorified virtuous acts bind him still to the wheel of samsara to this day as we commemorate his actions

Chains of iron, or chains of gold.  Both bind.

I'm re-minded of a conversation that occured on retreat about why some masters resist joining in certain actions in life, even when (from most folks perspective) they would bring great merit and boon, and often choose to retreat from social ties all together, heading to deep solitary retreats far from the social web. 

For action begets re-action and even virtuous acts, tie in to others.

• Thanks 1

On 9/12/2024 at 4:28 AM, silent thunder said:

This (for me) highlights how all our acts imbue our essence process to the wheel of samsara...

Even his storied, glorified virtuous acts bind him still to the wheel of samsara to this day as we commemorate his actions

Chains of iron, or chains of gold.  Both bind.

I'm re-minded of a conversation that occured on retreat about why some masters resist joining in certain actions in life, even when (from most folks perspective) they would bring great merit and boon, and often choose to retreat from social ties all together, heading to deep solitary retreats far from the social web. 

For action begets re-action and even virtuous acts, tie in to others.

it is taught that karma yoga does not entangle in that way,  Btw, as long as one has various forms or bodies various actions will take place related to such bodies or forms, whether they are in the forest or on main street, that is until such bodies are gone. (or as Taoism says, "only Nothing can enter into no-space" from chap 43)  

Sign in to follow this